GGRRRRR!!! Pattern frustration!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 -anna

-anna
  • VibeTribe
  • 346 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

so i'm making this adorable dragon for a little girl named abby who was diagnosed with leukemia just before thanksgiving. abby is 2 and really likes purple and pink - so the dragon is purple (grape cotton tots to be exact). this pattern doesn't call for wings and i personally think any self respecting dragon needs wings. so i borrowed from another pattern some wings
Wings:
Ch 4. Turn and do 1 sc in each of next 3 ch sps. Ch 1, turn. 3 sc, ch 3. turn. 3 sc on chain, 3 hdc on the three sc. Ch1, turn. 3 sc, ch 4. Sl st in 2nd ch from hook, 3 sc in chain, 3 hdc. Ch1, turn. 4 sc, ch 5, sl st in 2nd ch from hook, 3 sc in ch, 3 hdc, ch 3 turn. *Work 4 dc decreases down the edge of wing opposite the feaher ends. Ch 3, turn, repeat from * once. Fasten off.

i have made these things at least 12 times now and they look ridiculous or end up as a knotted mess instead of wings and i frog them. AARRGGGGHHHH!!!

since i went with purple if i don't add the wings this looks dangerously close to a mini barney! barney is no cancer fighter! GAAHHH! all the other parts are made and stuffed i just need to get these wings together - i can't believe i'm having this much trouble with what will results in less than 5 inches of crochet.
help!

#2 reveur

reveur
  • VibeTribe
  • 779 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:27 AM

that's really sweet of you to make that for her.

if I had a clue how to read patterns I'd love to help. I just wing everything and so am still in the scarf, hat & baby blanket level :funny1:

#3 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:42 PM

that is soooooo cute! I wish that I could help but crochet is definitely way outside my pattern reading ability.... are you on ravelry? I know the message boards there can help! (or maybe make a run over to a LYS for some help)

#4 -anna

-anna
  • VibeTribe
  • 346 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:35 PM

i think i almost had it on the train yesterday but then i got to my stop and put it down - now i have no idea how to start it again - should have just stayed on the train til the end of the line (and the end of the wing!)

on the ravelry suggestion - yup i'm on there that's where i got the patterns and some advice, i really think i'm just challenged :undecided:

#5 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:54 AM

you just need to do it all in one sitting...I know how frustrating it is when you put something down and forget where you left off. good luck sweetie! you'll get it.

#6 -anna

-anna
  • VibeTribe
  • 346 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:21 PM

figured out and now abby has her dragon, she named him mooshu, just in time to help her heal up from a broken leg!
i'm so proud! i've never made a stuffed crochet thing before!

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Shels Kharma

Shels Kharma
  • VibeTribe
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:14 AM

Once again, he came out gorgeous anna!! Even cuter than I had imagined when I saw him in pieces!!

#8 -anna

-anna
  • VibeTribe
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

whoops - sorry - didn't know the pics didn't work for everyone else! fixed that!

thanks shel! i stopped in to see abby yesterday, she took me up to her room and showed me his spot next to her pillow and told me that she cuddles him every night now. he's holding up pretty well after a month of 2 yo lovings