Cake

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

i first met Jeff at NYDeadheads house party in 2002.

I'm sure he is one of the reasons i stayed.

while i never made any cake with him, i did help him cookup a wonderful breakfast for everyone.

looking back at an early version of the cookbook, i remembered he had started one even before i had the idea. He also had these amazing sticky gooey chicken, pineapple + bacon treats.

so what's your cake ?

i'm going to try this one

Whole Wheat Devil's Food Cake

• 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup superfine or granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup King Arthur Select Artisan 100% Organic All-Purpose Flour
  • 2 cups King Arthur 100% Organic Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
  • Directions

1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9" round cake pans, three 8" round pans, or a 9" x 13" sheet cake pan.

2) In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugars and salt till fluffy and light, at least 5 minutes. Stop to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl at least once during that time. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, cocoa and baking soda.

3) Add the eggs to the butter mixture one at a time, beating well (at least a full minute) after each addition, and stopping to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl before adding the next egg. Mix in the vanilla. Add half the flour/cocoa mixture, and mix until evenly combined. Add the yogurt, and mix again. Add the remaining flour, mix, and stop to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl once more, to make sure the batter is thoroughly combined. Divide the batter evenly between the pans.

4) Bake the cakes for 30 to 35 minutes (5 to 7 minutes longer for the sheet cake), until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, and the sides of the cake begin to pull away from the pan. Remove the cakes from the oven, cool them for 5 to 10 minutes, then remove them from the pan. (The sheet cake may be served right from the pan.)

http://www.kingarthu...ID=1218&radio=1

#2 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:49 PM

"He also had these amazing stucky gooey chicken, pineapple + bacon treats." I was thinking of those too, yeah they kicked ass.

My MIL gave me this. Never thought I'd actually use it but now it seems perfect for my first attempt at baking a cake. 

It's the grooviest!

#3 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:18 AM

This is awesome <3

I never knew him in person....  However I do love to hear the stories about his love, smile, laugh and cooking!

#4 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:53 PM

OK, now that i still have 3/4 of a chocolate cake home, what do i do with it :)

i also ran out of milk.

while not low calorie, i did go for an all whole wheat cake.

i swapped out the APF for White Whole Wheat and 2 tbs of corn starch.

I also used regular whole milk yogurt - not low, no fat or greek, since there some comments about the cake being a dry.

i was happy with the results.

i guess i will find a way to box it up and bring it to work, but man that thing weighs a ton. 

#5 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:05 PM

:pict:

lol  :dance:   

cake <3  

I'm planning on making a cake in honor of Jeff on Saturday.  Prolly just going to hit up betty crocker, though..