Fare thee well to our Chef Jeff

• Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

#201 Raynequeen

Raynequeen
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

Benny's photos. Wonka's post. Royal's montage. Wow, this is a very special thread.

truth.

#202 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:48 AM

we met

you were cooking

the food was good

blue moon...I saw you standing alone....

we'll miss ya...

#203 Nuthatch

Nuthatch
  • VibeTribe
  • 684 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:02 AM

This is sad.....damn.  My thoughts and love are with you Wonka, Beany and Benji; losing someone who's been so much a part of your lives.

I always found him generous and easy to be around at the Vibes compound the last few years. (From what I read on  some posts, i guess I was lucky to never have done anything to really piss him off!! :) )  

I also remember reading his post here after Vibes last year that the festival wasn't working for him (or something to that effect) and he wasn't coming back in '14.  I remember thinking (selfishly) how that would not be a good thing and by the time July rolled around he would make it back..... that I hoped he would make it back.  Well, he won't be coming back.    I will miss his presence at a festival surely, but I really feel for those who knew him way better than I did and whose lives he so positively touched.

Bye, Jeff.

#204 Raynequeen

Raynequeen
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

guess this just means we all have to do vibes and moe.down.

fine. twist my arm.

#205 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

Jeff,

We never met, but I feel like I know you from all the stories I've been reading.  You touched a lot of lives in a positive, loving way.  These wonderful stories, the experiences people had with you, are a testament to your character and the life you lived.

Sometimes, we don't always tell our loved ones how dear they are to us.  I hope this isn't the case for anyone here, but if it is, I pray they take solace in the fact that you knew how much they loved you.  And, equally as important how much you loved them. 

I am positive that the Beatles were correct in singing, " the love you take is equal to the love you make."  This brings a smile to my face knowing that your spirit is fully infused and surrounded by the same love you gave in this world.  Wherever you land, I am sure there will be cake waiting!

Love & Light

#206 wonka

wonka

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 6,646 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

Hi All,

The company I work at and where Jeff once worked has organized a fundraising campaign and is matching all donations. All collected funds will be donated in memory of Jeff to a charity that Jeff believed in (I need to talk with Jeffs family to designate a charity). That said, here is the link (the pic came from this thread. I thought it showed Jeff in his most enjoyed environment well, camping, cooking, smiling and with a fest wristband):

https://fundly.com/i...porters/donors

#207 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:25 PM

This really strange post from a distant friend on FB, made me think of the Chef. I'm going to post it, and allow others to read it. This person has absolutely no affiliation with our community and doesn't know anyone here:

I seriously never cared much about cake. Even when I was little, at birthday parties I'd get ice cream but leave the cake unless it was spice cake (or if it was really pretty and decorated by XXXX & XXXX mom!). 

But, before I knew I was pregnant, ALL I WANT IS CAKE. Well, not ALL, but seriously: I think about cake an unreasonable amount of the day. CAKE!

:heart:

#208 smagnolia

smagnolia
  • VibeTribe
  • 402 posts
  • LocationRutland, VT

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

RiPeace.......

#209 wonka

wonka

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 6,646 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:19 PM

I spoke with Jeffs family today and the donation will be made to the alzheimer's association: http://www.alz.org/

Jeff was hit very hard when his father was diagnosed with alzheimers. This donation (as well volunteers like Royal) help make a difference for families going through similar circumstances.

Hi All,

The company I work at and where Jeff once worked has organized a fundraising campaign and is matching all donations. All collected funds will be donated in memory of Jeff to a charity that Jeff believed in (I need to talk with Jeffs family to designate a charity). That said, here is the link (the pic came from this thread. I thought it showed Jeff in his most enjoyed environment well, camping, cooking, smiling and with a fest wristband):

https://fundly.com/i...porters/donors

#210 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,791 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:33 PM

that is awesome

mike, can you extend my sympathies to his brother next time you see him?

I really enjoyed meeting him, even in those circumstances.

i am glad i bypassed the extended hand when we parted that night and went for the hug, now. :heart:

when we have a memorial service/party in his honor, i hope he and jeffs sister can come so they can meet all the folks who called jeff "friend" :smile:

#211 Pixlz

Pixlz
  • VibeTribe
  • 34 posts
  • LocationWest Haven, Connecticut

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:59 PM

<3 

#212 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

Had a dream bout Jeff last night.  <3   

First, we were in the woods, and we had no beer, so he said that he knew where to find it, and started digging, and we kept finding empty beer bottles, and then suddenly we were at the beach at seaside, and there was a crowd, and a small rowboat pulled in, delivering moonshine and other goodies.  It was a fun dream.  we were laughing. 

(((jeff)))

#213 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:12 PM

just a heads up..... be sure to write the check out to the Alzheimer's ASSOCIATION.  There are other similarly named Alzheimer's groups some legit some not.  The Alzheimer's Association cannot process checks made out to anything else.  If anyone has questions about the Alzheimer's Association or Alzheimer's please PM me and I will help.

#214 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

<3

#215 Jake Blues

Jake Blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

Tears streaming down my face.  It's a privilege to have known such a sweet, gentle and kind man.

My heart aches for you and Mike and his family.  He was one of us from the very start, and he will be conspicuous in his absence.

Just lit a candle for him.  Goodbye friend. <3

Wow, I am simply stunned by this monumental loss.  I met Jeff in 1999 and he was always some one I looked forward to seeing.  I am glad that he was not alone but surrounded by his closest friends.  Never met a kinder more gentle soul.  Peace and Love to all those in his closest circle and my thoughts are with you and with him wherever he may be.  

Until next our souls meet, it was my pleasure knowing you and my honor to have called you friend.  :rip:

#216 noro

noro
  • VibeTribe
  • 547 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

So sorry. Peace

#217 foo

foo
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

sad to hear this <3

CAKE!

#218 Creekie

Creekie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

I haven't been able to get online much in recent days, but I wanted to post something here. Jeff was one of the original boardie group, or what I like to consider the *founding fathers* or something. I have such fond memories of hanging with him, he was such a great guy. I really can't wrap my head around not being able to run into him now that I've come back around...he will be sorely missed.

I love you Jeff. oh, and bacon wrapped scallops. and cake. 

RIP my friend. say hi to bubblechick, Nucka, Patchoulia, Mylightening, CJTpaint, Fish, and everyone else we've loved so much. <3

#219 Misha

Misha

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:31 PM

Jeff died within days of my dad so it almost feels like I haven''t had time to let the news about Jeff sink in. Always loved and always in my heart <3

#220 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,096 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

((misha, Boland, wonka, beany, benji, everyone who has recently been dealing with earthly departures))

#221 TrippieHippieChic

TrippieHippieChic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:26 PM

It has been ages since I had seen him. This is very sad news. Rage it in the sky with Nukka, he's up there somewhere, too.

#222 Jafar.Poi

Jafar.Poi
  • VibeTribe
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:33 AM

Farewell buddy, it was short the time I knew you but the times we had were fun.  I hope your jamming with Jerry right now.  I have to say Jeff was one of the reasons I went to vibes last year and I will continue to go each year with him in memory.  Thank you Jeff, rest easy.  

#223 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:09 AM

If there's any interest I'll write something up honoring Jeff that could be posted here or distributed at Vibes. I knew Jeff for a long time but not all that well. I would  need to interview some of you.

#224 Indigo Adventurer

Indigo Adventurer
  • VibeTribe
  • 344 posts
  • Locationin the hearts and minds of many

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:32 AM

so I have been thinking and thinking of a good way to honor Jeff. Here is what i came up with.

I would like to have t-shirts made up with Jeff's picture on the front and on the back I would like to have a couple columns with lines. The idea is that we all wear that shirt to every show and festival that we go to and we write the show and the date in the spaces provided on the back. We try to fill up the shirt so that Jeff gets to go to all the shows and festivals that he should have had so many more years to be able to go to. It's a way for all of us to remember him and his love of music, still jam with him. I was thinking of adding a couple dollars to the price of the shirt (but still keeping it very low and reasonable- literally just the expense of the shirt and a small donation) and making a donation in his name to Feeding America. This program gives back 97% of their donations to the needy. They use local restaurants with leftover food to feed the hungry. I feel like he would like that. I'm wondering 1.if anyone likes this idea 2. If people would buy it so I don't make up a bunch of shirts for nothing and 3. Does anyone want to help me with this project?

#225 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:01 AM

love the idea.  I will pay double the cost if you can get a 4XL made.

#226 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,096 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:10 AM

https://www.threadle...Cake_Is_Awesome That made me smile (but it's sold out). I like the idea of random cake shirts, whatever people like. http://www.redbubble...s/11085829-cake ... then again, any vibes, moe., strangefolk, reid or star wars t-shirt works just as well.

#227 Indigo Adventurer

Indigo Adventurer
  • VibeTribe
  • 344 posts
  • Locationin the hearts and minds of many

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

I know people that screen print so if i bought plain white shirts cheap i could have them made up pretty inexpensively.

#228 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 471 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:38 AM

Black shirts.  CAKE! or GOT CAKE? in white print on the front.  Spaces on the back to be filled in with a silver sharpie.

White t-shirts get dirty fast.

#229 Raynequeen

Raynequeen
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

i like MOrE. Cake :)

#230 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,096 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:17 PM

cake wings :lol:

#231 Ringo

Ringo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

H

#232 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

Tabbooma likes the Cur's idea...

#233 wonka

wonka

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 6,646 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

that is awesome

mike, can you extend my sympathies to his brother next time you see him?

I really enjoyed meeting him, even in those circumstances.

i am glad i bypassed the extended hand when we parted that night and went for the hug, now. :heart:

when we have a memorial service/party in his honor, i hope he and jeffs sister can come so they can meet all the folks who called jeff "friend" :smile:

Hi Dee,

I'll be speaking to his family in the next week and will pass that along. Also wanted to thank you for visiting Jeff, On that last visit I was a basket case, as was his brother, your presence helped bridge a gap created by extreme sorrow and helped communication flow (I could barely talk without tearing up). 

Oh, and that Jerry CD was Ragged But Right:

51khZoxfKaL._SX300_.jpg

#234 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

Depends has found some real inexpensive t-shirts on the web, like $1.50 - $2.00 each.

I've also seend some tv commercial for a place that will do all the set up, collect the cash, ship the shirts, and return the profits (less a cut) - forgetting the name at the moment.

here is the link from Depends

http://www.theadairgroup.com/

now that i actually carry a phone around, i'm finding pocket t-shirts are my new favorite.

#235 wonka

wonka

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 6,646 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

I am going to see my first live music since Jeff passed away, Reid is playing at Garcia's, it's going to be bittersweet and I'm expecting to tear up at some point, especially when/if he plays some of Jeffs favorites.

I realized that I have seen literally hundreds of shows with Jeff. I'm so used to turning, tapping Jeffs shoulder and smiling when a song is peaking or has me at my high point of musical enjoyment. It is so hard for me to know and realize that he will not be there anymore. 

#236 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,791 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

Mike
It was my honor to spend those hours with you Jeff and his brother
If I was any help i am exceedingly happy To have been
I hope you know that Jeff will always be there next to you especially at those moments when you feel his loss the most
Please tell his brother that I think about him Jeff and the family a lot and I hope they are doing well as can be expected
Love to you Nadina and benji too

#237 Raynequeen

Raynequeen
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

just love

#238 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,248 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

(((Wonka)))  :heart:

My best friend still is with me during activities we shared and those I know she would have loved.  :heart:

#239 rock n roll goddess

rock n roll goddess
  • VibeTribe
  • 354 posts
  • LocationHighland NY

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

cake wings :lol:

(((((Angel Cake))))) :angel:

#240 Bob K

Bob K

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

I just think. Bubblechick organizing everyone to greet jeff. Nucka is asleep in a hammock dreaming late music with Jeff. Fitzbonics is cranking some mule. Rob of Rob and Casey just showed up in his Rv with fresh vegetables. Ctjpaint is writing a poem to welcome Jeff. -fish is looking forward great debates with Jeff. Pathcoulia is covering everyone with glitter.. The pearly gates opened and everyone shouts Cake! As Jeff walks in free of sickness free of pain.the night begins

and When he walks in, Mike P says "Give a WARM Gathering of the Vibes welcome to.... Cheff Jeff!!!"

#241 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationA peaceful place, or so it looks from space

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

and When he walks in, Mike P says "Give a WARM Gathering of the Vibes welcome to.... Cheff Jeff!!!"

:heart:

#242 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:28 AM

(((((Angel Cake))))) :angel:

Hi Lisa,

post of the year so far! 

#243 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,096 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

((Mike P.'s "give it up for ...")) :) every time I see a robin, I think of jeff (he had one as his avatar). been smiling a lot, lately. Cake!

#244 territoryranger

territoryranger
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

I did not know Jeff very well,but I remember having several pleasant conversations with him, out in the field......I heard this song the other day and it reminded me of him... <3

#245 Slarti

Slarti
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:18 AM

fare thee well my honey.  fare thee well my only true one lol

#246 Beany

Beany
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

wow territoryranger, that's great. Hillarious. Love it.

Wonka left for the week this morning to go up to Beverly MA to take care of things, gather Jeff's star wars stuff and ticket stubs, whatever else. Wish him well. He's up there for the whole week if anyone wants to hang, get in touch!

#247 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 471 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

wow territoryranger, that's great. Hillarious. Love it.

Wonka left for the week this morning to go up to Beverly MA to take care of things, gather Jeff's star wars stuff and ticket stubs, whatever else. Wish him well. He's up there for the whole week if anyone wants to hang, get in touch!

Great song to post!!

I wish you and Mike all the best.  <3

#248 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,096 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:09 AM

thinking of y'all. :heart:

#249 territoryranger

territoryranger
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

Wishing you all well <3

#250 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

thinking of you and Mike. I'm sure it's going to be a difficult week for you both. :heart: