Photo
- - - - -

Have you heard of this new PC term "Brown people?"

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Have you heard the term "Brown people?" (6 member(s) have cast votes)

And do you know what it means?

1. Yes (2 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. No (2 votes [33.33%])

3. No but I bet I know what it means (2 votes [33.33%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,709 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:22 AM

This is really stirring up people's emotions. I'm still not entirely sure what it refers to but seems to be anyone who is not white, black, or Asian. Includes hispanic I think?

It was new to me.

#2 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:51 AM

I see the dilemma and why the term was come up with, but I think that right now there isn't an answer. 

There are many times when I look at someone (not distinctly in the 3 categories you named) and I realize I have no idea what their ethnicity is. I'm really bad at it, actually. I thought my buddy Brian was Mexican, turns out he was Japanese. :lol: seriously. That was a long time ago, when I was fresh out of almost all-white Kentucky!! 

There are a lot of mixed races as well. It really is confusing, if one does want to know a race(s). Personally, I don't see why it really matters, unless maybe you're trying to describe someone, to another person? :dunno: I think I usually say 'ethnic' and that covers most everything. 

I hate PC stuff, because you can always split hairs down to a microscopic level, and then I just get pissed off, and feel like shit about myself for a brief moment. 

#3 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,709 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:04 AM

I'm trying to understand. Trying to wrap my head around it. Not there yet though. Of course I want to be racially sensitive but am just not sure why, for example, someone of Mexican descent doesn't want to be identified that way but rather with a melting pot group that refers to skin color instead. 

#4 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:17 AM

I'm trying to understand. Trying to wrap my head around it. Not there yet though. Of course I want to be racially sensitive but am just not sure why, for example, someone of Mexican descent doesn't want to be identified that way but rather with a melting pot group that refers to skin color instead. 

I think the problem, to me, isn't that someone wants to be identified as "such and such" whatever, it's that they get pissed if another person who 'doesn't know' says something different. It's the same thing going on in the LGBT world right now. 

I mean, what if I got pissed because people didn't see that the majority of my caucasian-ness was German? That's the kind of sense it makes to me. 

#5 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,709 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:30 AM

I think the problem, to me, isn't that someone wants to be identified as "such and such" whatever, it's that they get pissed if another person who 'doesn't know' says something different. It's the same thing going on in the LGBT world right now. 

I mean, what if I got pissed because people didn't see that the majority of my caucasian-ness was German? That's the kind of sense it makes to me. 

That has to be a part of it. There's a heated debate going on a friend's FB page now that has gotten ugly for no reason I can understand. Rather than explain the sense behind it, which is all my friend was looking for, she gets the "you're not the oppressed minority so how can you possibly understand?" 

She is trying to educate herself about this, as am I. But keeps getting presented with angry absolutes instead of a simple description of the sense behind it. It is hopefully possible for someone who hasn't been there to understand, given a good explanation. But I'm not the oppressed minority either so what would I know. 

#6 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,070 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:58 AM

This isn't new, I can remember hearing this term as a Pre-K boy in the mid 1970's

#7 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,709 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:38 AM

This isn't new, I can remember hearing this term as a Pre-K boy in the mid 1970's

It meant something entirely different though. I remember in the late 80s I had a summer job and was helping the HR dept out with "sensitivity training" for employees and people of mixed black/white or what would be called Mulatto in Latin America wanted to be referred to as "brown." 

#8 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,392 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:44 PM

People are entirely too sensitive about beiong politically correct. To the point now where it's not even worth paying attention.

#9 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,152 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

That has to be a part of it. There's a heated debate going on a friend's FB page now that has gotten ugly for no reason I can understand. Rather than explain the sense behind it, which is all my friend was looking for, she gets the "you're not the oppressed minority so how can you possibly understand?" 

She is trying to educate herself about this, as am I. But keeps getting presented with angry absolutes instead of a simple description of the sense behind it. It is hopefully possible for someone who hasn't been there to understand, given a good explanation. But I'm not the oppressed minority either so what would I know. 

Women have been oppressed for thousands of years - most of us get it.

Do you really need to be reminded of just how vilely oppressed you have been recently?

#10 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,709 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

Do you really need to be reminded of just how vilely oppressed you have been recently?

:lol: I'm not letting this one stray off the path.

I really do want to understand this whole thing.  I'll gladly admit my ignorance, but not insensitivity. Although if it's all about "Do this because I say so and I won't explain why" then I'm totally fine with being insensitive. 

#11 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,680 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

I think it's a catch-all for people of American Indian descent with dark complexions who hate the European component of their ancestry.

#12 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,152 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

I really do want to understand this whole thing.  I'll gladly admit my ignorance, but not insensitivity. Although if it's all about "Do this because I say so and I won't explain why" then I'm totally fine with being insensitive. 

Does there have to be a reason that you comprehend to call someone what they wish to be called?

You call Butch "Butch" or "Whiskerbiscuit", not because that's his real name, but because that's what he wants to be called.

Does it really matter why?

#13 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,680 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

:facepalm:

#14 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,517 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

Shouldn't you be in the kitchen making dinner?

#15 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,152 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

Shouldn't you be in the kitchen making dinner?

Not until I'm done folding your socks.

#16 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,517 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

Not until I'm done folding your socks.

If there were such a thing as a perfect woman, she would be you   <3

#17 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,433 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:03 AM

People who went to Brown University?

#18 direwook

direwook
  • VibeTribe
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:53 AM

Brown University?

They have one of those in Providence.

#19 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,152 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

If there were such a thing as a perfect woman, she would be you   <3

:blush:

Perfection is highly over rated.

I done got schmooped by the Jokester!   :mrgreen:

#20 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

Get a room JBetty and Joker!

#21 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,152 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

Too late.

He won't be up for it again for hours.

Possibly days.   

#22 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,709 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

Does there have to be a reason that you comprehend to call someone what they wish to be called?

You call Butch "Butch" or "Whiskerbiscuit", not because that's his real name, but because that's what he wants to be called.

Does it really matter why?

Makes it pretty complicated to require a neat little racial slot to put everyone into. OK, so your name is Pedro, you are brown, and I should not ask you your country of origin for a reason you won't tell me.  Hey Pedro, meet my friend Juanita. She is from the same place you are but don't call her brown, she likes to be called Mexican.  Well OK then, I am Julius and my origins are Roman but don't call me Italian dammit, I am "Mediterranean."

How about we just stick to Pedro, Juanita and Julius and leave the rest out.  Or wait, can you get a tattoo or something so I know how to refer to you? I think maybe your sleeve would be a good place for it.

#23 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,152 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

How about we just stick to Pedro, Juanita and Julius and leave the rest out.  

Now you're getting it.  :smile:

I've never really seen the reason to label anyone - That white guy, that gay lady, that British kid.

What's the point and why does it even matter?

#24 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

I come from a long line of Browns- Tory weavers who fled to Canada during the revolution until things simmered down and we returned. We tend to have short fuses, are not great at keeping in touch over long distances, are sore winners, and play mean croquet.