make my vegetable broth stronger

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,242 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

I've used several methods and they all come out pretty weak. Do yall have tips for a really good broth? 

#2 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

I don't cook with veg broth, but I bet you could use the same cheater method I use. There's this stuff:

better-than-bouillon1.jpg

They have chicken, beef, and veg that I've seen. It's a concentrated paste that you can make like regular boullon (but oh so much tastier, and less chemical shit). What I do if I want a strong flavor is use normal broth amount/recipe, and then throw in a spoonful of this paste. YUM. 

#3 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,515 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

Hmm, have you tried roasting the veg's before you make the broth? Also you could add some Bragg's amino acids. :)

#4 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,614 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

Good advice here:

http://thestonesoup....egetable-stock/

Finally cut veg, start with cold water, and sweating aromatics first all make a lot of sense.

#5 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,614 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

Course I'm just as likely to go buy a thing of Pacific broth. :lol:

#6 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,498 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

I find carrots and yellow onions add the most flavor, especially if you slice them somewhat diagonally so there's lots of surface area exposed to the water. Also, use the parts that most people toss out like the the carrot tops and the flowery/stalky bits of cauliflower romanesca and broccoli. 

But the most obvious answer is less water or more boiling time and letting it boil off a bit if it's too weak. I can't imagine adding a paste or other concentrated flavoring, why bother to make your broth fresh at all if you're going to do that.  Just go from concentrate. 

#7 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

Add spinach.

It works for Popeye.

#8 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

But the most obvious answer is less water or more boiling time and letting it boil off a bit if it's too weak. I can't imagine adding a paste or other concentrated flavoring, why bother to make your broth fresh at all if you're going to do that.  Just go from concentrate. 

Is she making it fresh, or just trying to get a stronger flavor? 

#9 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,397 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:39 PM

Do you use salt when you sweat the aromatics? I know sodium is a concern but if you use a good pink or grey salt the benefits out weigh the sodium risk

#10 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:34 AM

I don't cook with veg broth, but I bet you could use the same cheater method I use. There's this stuff:

better-than-bouillon1.jpg

They have chicken, beef, and veg that I've seen. It's a concentrated paste that you can make like regular boullon (but oh so much tastier, and less chemical shit). What I do if I want a strong flavor is use normal broth amount/recipe, and then throw in a spoonful of this paste. YUM. 

i totally cheat and use this :)  though i use the organic variety to be nice to kiltboy.

what veggies do you usually use when making veg stock?  celery/tomato/carrot/bell pepper/onion/turnip/garlic/parsley/bay leaf/peppercorn/clove are all absolute musts for me when making from scratch.  i roast everything but the celery leaves in the oven until caramelized beforehand, then put everything in a stock pot with water and reduce by half.  that makes a very good stock.

#11 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,397 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:16 PM

Jennie...my boss uses this  http://www.amazon.co...p/B00113SKZWand it's awesome!

#12 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,242 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

I've been doing a basic mirepoix (cut large though) - onions, celery, carrot, a couple potatoes, and whatever else is on hand- but that's the basics.  I have been sweating the veggies first, haven't used salt during that but will try that...I'll try using less water I guess...for chick stoick i've been throwing a whole chicken in a pot with a bunch of vegetables and having the same problem. And do I boil or gently simmer,I've been doing the latter....jusst lacks flavor. 

#13 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,242 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

I'll try roasting them first and adding  a few more veggie types. 

#14 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,837 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

Potato probably thins out the flavor.....