• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

I'd like to hear some opinions on this apparent wives' tale, or if anyone has had personal experience with it...

Ok, my sweet little baby girl just turned 7, and she has pretty bad arthritis in her front leg joints. I was going to breed her once so I got the certification xrays done, and her joints looked awful, and that was 2 years ago. She has trouble climbing stairs, and after a good day of playing, can't get up on the bed or couch by herself. It breaks my heart, because she's not old at all. 

I've been giving her glucosamine since I saw the xrays, and recently increased the dose, because she still has trouble.

I started researching other alternatives online, and was surprised to come across Borax as a possibility. Here's from Wiki, about where it comes from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax

It says Borax shouldn't be ingested, and very very high amounts can be dangerous. 

But another search pulls up countless examples of people who have used it for arthritis (as well as other infections and medical issues...):

http://www.positiveh...e-for-arthritis

There are more examples as well. It sounds like, from the examples (testimonies?) I've read that it only takes a tiny pinch. Even looking at the warnings about ingestion, it would take a large amount to harm her. I'm not really wanting to just throw my beloved doggy up for a science experiment, but I want to help her. 

Anyone tried, or know anyone that's tried, this? 

#2 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,478 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

Never ingested it but I've forge welded steel using borax as a flux.

#3 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:03 PM

Only thing I've used it for is laundry and, mixed with sugar and water, killing ants.

#4 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:09 PM

Is it one of those things like baking soda or vinegar that you can use for a million different things? I mean, I can clean not only my toilet with vinegar, I can also clean my innards as well. Baking soda - toilet, or teeth. Either way. 

U think it's possible? As a science geek, I've read both sides, and as a science geek my next move would be to test my hypothesis, but it doesn't seem fair to test on my dog. I don't have joint issues, so I can't test it on myself, or I would...

#5 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,784 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

I'd like to hear some opinions on this apparent wives' tale, or if anyone has had personal experience with it...

Ok, my sweet little baby girl just turned 7, and she has pretty bad arthritis in her front leg joints. I was going to breed her once so I got the certification xrays done, and her joints looked awful, and that was 2 years ago. She has trouble climbing stairs, and after a good day of playing, can't get up on the bed or couch by herself. It breaks my heart, because she's not old at all. 

I've been giving her glucosamine since I saw the xrays, and recently increased the dose, because she still has trouble.

I started researching other alternatives online, and was surprised to come across Borax as a possibility. Here's from Wiki, about where it comes from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax

It says Borax shouldn't be ingested, and very very high amounts can be dangerous. 

But another search pulls up countless examples of people who have used it for arthritis (as well as other infections and medical issues...):

http://www.positiveh...e-for-arthritis

There are more examples as well. It sounds like, from the examples (testimonies?) I've read that it only takes a tiny pinch. Even looking at the warnings about ingestion, it would take a large amount to harm her. I'm not really wanting to just throw my beloved doggy up for a science experiment, but I want to help her. 

Anyone tried, or know anyone that's tried, this? 

I don't have any advice about Borax, but I would like to express my great relief to have read this post entirely, or I would never have known you were talking about your dog.

I'm pretty darn sure you don't have any children, but I've never been to your basement so...   :dunno:

#6 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

:lol: Yeah, gonna breed my kids. You know.... 

#7 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,784 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:32 PM

Times are tough and one never knows.

I mean, just look at China Cat...

#8 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

No idea on the Borax, but I am pretty sure Cannabis is an effective treatment for arthritis. 
http://www.theweedbl...help-arthritis/

How to administer it to your 'sweet baby girl' is another matter, think she would be down for some shotguns?

shotgun-toke.jpg