sick ktteh part 2

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,936 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:59 PM

What a rough week it's been for our 21 year old Delia. (to say the least)

Delia has been a little wobbly over the past few months and we've always chalked it off to old age. I mean, a little wobbly but nothing major. On Tuesday she had an acute onset of extreme weakness in her back legs and right paw. She could barely go two steps without falling on her side and could barely use/control her hind legs. I rushed her to emergency vet at 7pm and they ran all kinds of tests. Xrays, blood work, blood pressure, etc. but were unable to determine the cause. So, we return home at 1am to a house that has no power (yes we had a 4 day outtage due to a storm) and I confine her to the bathroom to keep her safe and prevent her from trying to jump on and off bed (which is the first thing she did when i brought her home) .

I cannot accurately describe the sounds that were coming out of this cat at this point. She was so distraught and just wanted to be in my bed. She was struggling to get into her litter box and just kept falling over on her side :sad: They gave her a painkiller and a cortisone shot at the hospital so she eventually calmed down and slept the rest of the night. Next morning I head to my vet who is a miracle worker IMHO. She was still unable to walk more than a 12 inches or so and keeps falling on her side and struggles to even roll herself over to a comfortable position. He examined her and determined that she likely has blood clots that are slowing the blood supply to her legs/paws and causing extreme weakness. Treatment? B12 aquapuncture shot 1x a week and baby aspirin 1x every 3 days.

So, she received the shot and an aspirin on Wednesday morning and by last night she was able to walk across the entire house without falling!!!! :ura1: She was super wobbly but she did it!

Today, she is still being conservative and not trying to walk (smart kitteh) and is enjoying the habitat/nest i have made for her in the 1/2 bath that is attached to our bedroom. She is not trying to come out and jump on the bed and seems to really be cozy in there with her food, water and litter box. I bought a very shallow box to make it easier for her to get in and out. We have a pillow in there and we take turns laying on the floor with her to visit. I actually slept there on the floor with her on Wed night.

Two days ago this cat was in a crisis and today is much more comfortable and it appears that she is getting better each day. I just coaxed her out of the bathroom to see how her walking is and she seems to have much more control of her legs today. :heart: She is eating and drinking and other than this weakness in her legs/paws everything else is good.

I am so grateful for our wonderful vet and his excellent choices in treatment. :heart: Tues/Wed we were beside ourselves with worry about our beautiful Delia. I am cautiously optimistic that she is going to make a full recovery and be like this soon :gop:

If you made it this far, thanks for reading this long story!

Note: this is a different cat than my other sick kitteh thread (that is Sage ;) )

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,591 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:59 PM

:heart::heart::heart:

I would like to come out and visit the vet for some issues I am having. Sounds completely caring and wonderful. :heart:

#3 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,936 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:53 PM

TEO he is truly wonderful :heart:

#4 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

I'm happy that she is recovering - get well, Delia! :gop:

#5 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

:heart::smile::heart:

#6 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,936 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:37 PM

Delia....did great until she started getting wobbly again last week. We got another B12 aquapuncture shot on Saturday but alas, almost a week later she continues to get worse :sad: She has a blood clot in the femoral artery and therefore is not getting enough blood to her legs, and another clot in her shoulder which causes weakness in her right front leg.

She is eating and drinking and still able to get around but this gets worse each day. The good news is she seems to be in good spirits and not in pain. The bad news is she is unable to poop because she can't get in the right position to do it. The vet gave me some herbs to put in her food that will hopefully help that. I had a consult with the vet this morning and he agrees it's time for comfort measures. He called it 'hospice care'. :heart:

(((Delia))) Such a wonderful long life she has had.

#7 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,591 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:31 PM

(((Delia & family))) :heart:

Much love & comfort to you all. :heart:

(((Karen))) :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

#8 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,936 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:55 PM

Thanks TEO :heart:

#9 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:01 PM

:heart::heart::heart: (((Delia))) :heart::heart::heart:

#10 Rayzeeday

Rayzeeday
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:26 AM

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

#11 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,936 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:30 PM

Well, it is clear to us that her little light is going out... It's been a rough two days for her. She's not eating anymore and peeing all over the house. Our poor sweet girl. :heart: She is able to walk, but not much...We're staying close and giving her lots of love to help her cross over :heart:

#12 mamapajama

mamapajama
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:44 PM

<3

#13 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,698 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:50 PM

this is one of the hardest and saddest things I've gone through. This cat has been my daily companion for 21 years. :-(

#14 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:12 PM

JP & Karen, wishing you strength as you comfort sweet Delia.

#15 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,936 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:24 PM

Thanks everyone :heart:

#16 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,591 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:51 AM