• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 HappieKamper

HappieKamper
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationGun wavin' New Haven

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:32 PM

Last night my son informed me that he's taking the ASVAB this weekend. Needless to say, I had a total meltdown. I do not want him to join the military. I'm not anti military (my dad was in the army for 23 years), I'm just anti-my son in the military. I'm wondering if anybody has children in the military and how did you deal with it, or was it not a problem. I'm not sure if I'm overreacting.

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,280 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:46 PM

I do not, however in these current times I would have much difficulty finding peace with it.

Much love to you and your family. :heart:

#3 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,699 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

oh man... my daughter (when she was 16 ) was all about 'joining up'

I prayed (and figured) it would pass... which it did... but she can't even get along with teachers, never mind drill sargents and shit...

I remember the Navy called me allll the time... and they caught me on the right day once... I was like.. .YUP, come n git me.

I did very well on teh ASVAB so they sucked me into a 6 year program, on a 6 month delayed enlistment... well... after about 1 month I realized I did NOT want to do it... got a general discharge for refusal to enlist. (no bad marks)

AT any rate.... best of luck... It would not thrill me either.

#4 HappieKamper

HappieKamper
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:09 PM

Thanks guys for your input. I've been very supportive of his choices (moving back to the west coast to finish high school with family and friends, riding bulls, etc.), however, I can't support this and I'm pretty much begging him not to do it. I do realize this will probably get me nowhere with an 18 year old. He's my only child and I'm devastated.

Anyway, I am so thankful vibes is right around the corner, and my biggest worry for the next week will be whether I shake hands, hug, or kiss somebody I just met. Shit, I think I'm going to kiss everybody. With tongue. hahaha JK

#5 hippiechickme

hippiechickme
  • VibeTribe
  • 670 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:50 PM

He may yet change his mind.
My son Sam graduated high school a year early at 16 years old, he came to me when he was 17 and was all gung ho that he was joining the Marines. He was not able to join, at 17 without my signature. I refused to sign and told him at 18 he could do as he wanted, but I was no way going to sign my son's life away. By 18 he was over it!

#6 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,280 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:43 PM

Looking forward to meeting you HappieKamper! :crazy:

#7 HappieKamper

HappieKamper
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:57 AM

Looking forward to meeting you HappieKamper! :crazy:

I will be on the lookout for your posse! :mrgreen:

#8 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:59 PM

:heart: though i don't have children even old enough to consider the military, i completely understand how you feel. i was raised in a military family and would be devastated too if one of my girls wanted to join. :heart:

#9 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,274 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:04 PM

Oh man. The information I would cram down my childs throat if they decided they wanted to join..... :shocked::angel:

#10 HappieKamper

HappieKamper
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:09 PM

My son has reconsidered!!!!! Thank God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,750 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:11 PM

:ura1:

#12 HappieKamper

HappieKamper
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:12 PM

That was a horrible thing to try to come to grips with!

#13 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,280 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:29 PM

:clapping: