• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,965 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:47 PM

my cats' poop smells like a good reason to light incense. :( Have tried Purina ONE and Purina in the blue bag and Meow Mix. No dice. And the natural cat food at trader joe's.

they do like fresh cooked chicken, which I give them, too. but the poop is nuclear, regardless.

thanks.

#2 Jam Fan

Jam Fan
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:08 PM

my mom's cats get a blend of an Iams product and a Hills Science Diet product. both dry.

one is a "less active formula" and the other is specified for indoor cats.

Meow Mix made them sick

#3 Elphaba

Elphaba
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:54 PM

the kind that causes the least amount of hairballs that they will eat. max cat hairball formula, purina one indoor. that's about it that they will eat otherwise they are stealing food from the dogs or they are blowing hairballs all over and that's not cool.

#4 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:46 PM

I feed my cats Nutro Max Cat for indoor cats, roasted chicken flavor. It seems to have cut down on the stink, although since the boy has IBD he has some really toxic poo sometimes. They've just graduated to the food for "senior" cats, since he'll be 7 this coming weekend and she'll be 7 in 6 months. Hard to believe my babies are that old. :heart: :(

#5 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:05 AM

My cats never liked Iams, but they really like Pet Promise, all natural chicken stuff (weight/aging formula): http://www.petpromis.../dryfoodcat.htm

It's around $7-8 for a bag (~ 2 weeks worth for 2 cats).

#6 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,965 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:26 PM

thanks, folks. yeah, motley's going to be 9 this summer, and tsimmes will be 5. bossy, whom I picked out for Mike and I brought up and is my grandma's little buddy, will be two. ((buddies)) All of their birthdays are around mine or a little after. Life's funny like that.
Posted via Mobile Device Powered By Terrapin

#7 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,708 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:17 PM

We get the turquoise bag of Iams. I believe it's the indoor hairball control kind. I don't like supporting Iams, though, ever since I saw this:

http://www.iamscruel...ntroduction.asp

#8 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,674 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:14 PM

we feed 3 of ours purina indoor and have started using lavendar fresh step which has kept the box odor down considerably! ((kitty buddies))

#9 Sunny Sunshine

Sunny Sunshine
  • VibeTribe
  • 653 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:44 PM

Our cats are super spoiled and get Innova Evo for cats in the purple bag. It's a little pricey, but they love it, their poop doesn't smell as bad and it doesn't upset their tummies like every other brand does :)

http://www.evopet.co...ult.asp?id=1500

#10 reba

reba
  • VibeTribe
  • 439 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:47 PM

http://www.bluebuff.com/
I just started using blue buffalo, and love it (gato loves it too)

#11 cdrhead

cdrhead
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:13 PM

I have been feeding mine Wellness Indoor but it's exspensive. I am going to switch to Hill's next bag and see how that goes. They did get Hill's Perscription T/D dry(for tarter) but you can only get that at the vet so I bailed on that. I think Science diet has one for clean teeth.

#12 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,965 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:51 PM

thanks!

#13 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:01 AM

nutro!

#14 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,690 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:57 AM

Currently have 3 on PremiumEdge, they have various formulas, and the litterbox smells like a rose garden. ;-)

#15 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,965 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:28 PM

I was hoping you'd send me the body parts of employees who make mistakes repeatedly. I hear they taste just like chicken. :) (thanks some more, folks)

#16 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,690 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:34 AM

:lol: After today's antics, a couple of them most likely taste like ash.

#17 Sunny Sunshine

Sunny Sunshine
  • VibeTribe
  • 653 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:52 PM

What kind did you go with?

#18 Sunshower

Sunshower
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:48 AM

I feed my two Wellness Indoor formula. I know it is rather expensive, but I will not feed them anything else.:heart:

#19 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,965 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:56 PM

What was requested was not the purina ONE I have, for now. When I can carry bags of stuff and walk at the same time, myself, I'll try something else. it does seem to be less noxious than the blue bag purina cat chow, but it is also more vomit-promoting. I need to find the parts to the electric chopper and make it into smaller pieces.

#20 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,866 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:25 AM

Read labels. Cats are PURE carnivores.

The best suggestion in this thread is the EVO.. If you're looking to replicate their most natural diet.

IAMS is Proctor and Gamble, therefore, it's crap! Anything you can buy at a CVS is crap.

Any cat food that has 2-4 meat proteins in the first 8 ingredients is considered a solid cat food. Fillers, such as corn, wheat, by products... bla bla bla, all that jazz.... no good.

#21 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,965 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:46 AM

brisket and sweet potatoes, pureed, worked well, while it lasted. Since then, I've been giving them canned food. dry food is always available. if she eats it, she pukes (he doesn't). My mom suggested I put her through a box of dewormer, but the supermarket didn't have any. got to go to the pet shop. Current dry food is called The Goodlife Recipe. You know it's good, 'cause when it's thrown up, it looks like she's puking granola bars (oats). Tonight, I added water to the dry food twice, so it goes down soft, for her. He likes it. She had some. We'll see if the floor has some when I wake up tomorrow. ((buddies)) :heart:

#22 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,866 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:32 AM

Oats? Cats don't eat oats. They eat meat.

#23 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,866 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:38 AM

Whole meats or meals only (meals are whole meat with the moisture taken out, actually a much better product), no corn, no by-products of any kind, no beat pulp.

the first 8 ingredients should have those requirements.

Animals are what they eat. If your cat is throwing up all the time, they are not getting the nutrients they need and you are just throwing the money out the window. If you need help with getting a good food. I can mail you some samples. I could then mail you what you needed.

#24 Arglebargle

Arglebargle
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:05 AM

I want to feed my cat live mice, but I don't want to start a mouse farm. But I think that would be the healthiest diet, don't know if it would solve the pooping problem.

#25 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,965 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:29 AM

I got 'em on wet food twice a day, with moistened dry food always available. That'll do until Tuesday (when I get back). They're both doing well. My mom will be watching them over the weekend. She's got a keen eye for these things. I think the more meat, the better.

#26 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,866 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:13 AM

Sarah, as I said. I am more than happy to send you some samples of some pretty good stuff. They will poop once a day and won't eat as much (their little bodies are using it all instead of shitting it out) in the long run, it's doesn't cost any more than the shit food. :)