Photo
- - - - -

Should we care about homophobic celebrities?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,810 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:52 PM

Read some really bad stuff from 50 Cent and SNL's Tracy Morgan and astonishingly Victoria Jackson.  Also stuff by Donald Trump,  Kirk Cameron and Cee-Lo Green.  It doesn't bother  me too much. I'm not gonna to spend money on them, but I didn't before either.  They're entitled to their opinions, I'm gonna try to forget it

#2 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

They're entitled to their opinions

This. Freedom of speech, brother. 

We all have someone out there who will hate us, just because of what we think (amongst other things)

You can't let hatefulness of others bring you down. If I feel anything towards someone who has hateful or negative or close minded opinions, its usually pity, for letting a hate consume them and give them negative energy. (disclaimer - I'm not immune from it. I just try to let things go when I recognize my own negative emotions)

#3 Roasted and Toasted

Roasted and Toasted
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,441 posts
  • LocationUnder a tent

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

The real question is "Why should we care about celebrities at all?"

#4 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,889 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

Baa

#5 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

The real question is "Why should we care about celebrities at all?"

Seriously.

Unless they've touched your life in some meaningful way, why does anyone care about someone they never met, just because they're in the papers or on the TV or whatever?   :dunno:

#6 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,457 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

The only time I care if they are homophobic, racist, etc is when they are selling something.  I could care less about 50 cent, or Tracy Morgan, but I certainly would not buy tickets to any event they were performing at. 

#7 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

Seems stupid to care about the stupid.

Thank God Deb doesn't feel that way

#8 Sensei Miller

Sensei Miller
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

Just like Jenny McCarthy's opinion about vaccination.

It's natural to want to lend credence to the opinions of those that we see regularly on TV and in the movies, but in reality they're usually (probably) less informed than we are.

The reason to care, though, is based on the same principle: People DO give them credit and tend to emulate them.

I could care less what Tracy Morgan thinks, but do worry that it will have a negative impact on those that may be more impressionable than we are.

I agree with what's been said that I wouldn't lose sleep over it, and that I'll try to vote with my dollars. Hopefully others will too, and we can make a difference that way.

#9 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,155 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

I think people care cause may be their outrage will help change that person's mind, or at least show them they are being insensitive, so that they learn and grow as a person.

But mostly, it is all just noise.

Everyone has their own opinion no matter how stupid or insensitive.

#10 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,501 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

No.

#11 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,756 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

What surprises me is when there's an uproar every time some known hard-line religious conservative in the South makes some un-PC comment on where you already know damn well where they stand. 

So the fuck what. I don't like you either numbnuts. 

#12 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,889 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:04 AM

Perhaps we should be a bit concerned regarding their possible influence on the masses.

Take Neil Young for example:

Neil Young vs. Bil Oil

My name is Allan Adam and I’m the Chief of the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation. By now I’m sure you’ve heard how the government and Big Oil CEOs are slamming Neil Young for speaking out on the Tar Sands and their harm to my people. But if you join Neil and me, I believe that together we can turn this into something very meaningful for us all.

The government just approved a giant Shell company project on our land in Alberta, even though it admits it will likely wreak havoc on the land and water my people depend on -- and infringe on our treaty rights. But with Neil getting people talking, the government and Big Oil are worried Canadians will start to question the unchecked expansion of the Tar Sands, making it harder to spend billions more on them.

The Prime Minister won’t budge unless he thinks he could lose support from conservative and undecided voters. Let’s show him Canadians of all political leanings want respect for our rights and the land. Click and Avaaz will deliver all our voices directly to the government. Sign now.

http://www.avaaz.org..._c/?pv=42&rc=fb