Photo
- - - - -

Anyone have a knish recipe they would like to share?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:59 PM

These are freaking delish, I have to learn to make them. 

#2 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

Delish knish! I bet hippieskichick makes a mean knish...

#3 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

Do you like your Kenisha's with a thin layer of what seems like pastry on the outside? Or smooth potato texture all the way through? I think I like the pastry ones.. Altho I don't know if that's actually flaky dough on the outside or just a thin layer or potato that masquerades as a doughy crust....??

#4 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:47 PM

I just googled "knish" and came across this photo... DROOL...

hot dog wrapped in smashed spinach knish on a bun topped with kraut, ketchup and mustard with a side of pastrami which he later used to top the knish dog explosion... WHAT?!!

h2.jpg

#5 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:50 PM

P.s. my favorite kind of knish is the kind where there is a thin layer of caramelized onion on top of the potato, inside the wrapper. *sigh* Look what you've done... Gotten me all in a knish-y tizzy!!!!!

#6 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

Ok apparently all Kenisha's are wrapped in dough. I guess some just have thinner dough than others.

#7 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

Ha! Kenishas? Wtf autocorrect

#8 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:00 PM

This one looks super legit (and the blog post was fun to read, to boot): http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/knishes Yield : Makes about 4 dozen Ingredients For the potato filling: 5 pounds Russet (baking) potatoes 1/3 cup vegetable oil, or rendered chicken fat for an old-time deli taste 6 cups coarsely chopped onions (about 2 pounds) 4 teaspoons salt, or more to taste (divided) ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste For the dough: ½ cup hot tap water ½ cup canola, peanut, or other vegetable oil 2 eggs 1 teaspoon salt ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 3½ cups all-purpose flour (divided) 1 teaspoon baking powder For the egg wash: 1 egg, well beaten Directions Make the filling: Peel the potatoes, cut them into chunks, and place them in a large pot, covered with cold water by about an inch. Bring the water to a boil. Cook the potatoes until very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the size of the chunks. Drain immediately in a colander. Using a food mill with the medium blade or a ricer (do not use a food processor), work the potatoes into a smooth puree. Stir in 3 teaspoons of the salt (1 tablespoon) and the pepper. While the potatoes cook, fry the onions. In a 12-inch skillet, heat the oil over fairly high heat. When the oil is hot but not smoking, add the onions and fry over medium-high heat, stirring regularly, until the onions are well wilted, about 8 minutes. Lower the heat to medium, and continue to fry, stirring only occasionally, until the onions begin to brown. (This could take as long as another 20 minutes.) As they cook, season the onions with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Stir the onions into the mashed potatoes. Taste, and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper (I like mine peppery). Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Make the dough: In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, combine the water, oil, eggs, salt, and pepper. Process briefly to mix well. Add 3 cups of the flour and the baking powder. Process again until the dough is smooth. Flour a work surface with some of the remaining flour, and scrape the dough out onto the surface. Knead the dough briefly, just a minute or so, incorporating just enough additional flour to make a very slightly sticky dough. Wrap the dough in wax paper or plastic, and let it rest at room temperature for an hour before rolling it out. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut the dough into four pieces. Roll out one piece at a time to a rectangle about 18 inches long and 8 inches wide. The long side of the dough should be facing you. Gather some of the potato mixture in your hand and make a long, approximately 2-inch wide roll of potato along the long side of the dough, about 2 inches from the bottom edge. Bring the bottom edge of the dough over the potato roll and brush the upper edge with egg. Bring the upper edge of the dough over the egg-washed edge. Repeat with the remaining dough. Transfer the rolls to lightly greased baking sheets, seams down. Brush the logs with the beaten egg. Bake until golden, about 50 minutes. To serve, cut the rolls into 1- to 1½-inch crosswise pieces.

#9 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:00 PM

Ew, lost the formatting. Check the link for prettier recipe. http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/knishes

#10 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

The post also addresses my question about the thick and thin pastry versions! Ahhhh, catharsis.

#11 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

This is the most I've posted in a while. Figures I'm in the Food Forum.

#12 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

Ha! Kenishas? Wtf autocorrect

:lol: 

Would you believe I've only really ever had 1? At the Brooklyn Bowl, shared it with Brother Jason, Jersey Thug and the BoBerries. :lol: But it was freaking delicious. Think I'll try to make it for Chirstmas maybe. 

#13 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

This is the most I've posted in a while. Figures I'm in the Food Forum.

And :lol:

#14 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

Dammit now I have to go get lunch here: http://www.noshdeli....Sandwiches.html Gahhhhhh

#15 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

:lol: 

Would you believe I've only really ever had 1? At the Brooklyn Bowl, shared it with Brother Jason, Jersey Thug and the BoBerries. :lol: But it was freaking delicious. Think I'll try to make it for Chirstmas maybe. 

If you're gonna eat a knish, Brooklyn is the place to do it :) tho I'm not sure how authentic the ones they make @ the Bowl are... Hopefully they are up to snuff! :)

#16 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

I opened my drawer to grab a t-shirt.. The one on top was my Brooklyn Bowl shirt. Put it on and am heading out for knishes! Thanks For the inspiration! I am naming today Wit Saturday in your honor!! :)

#17 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

IM AT NOSH AND I JUSY ORDERED A KNISH AND A RUEBEN DOG!!!!!!!

#18 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:34 PM

1390635_10101955080589630_1894076146_n.j

#19 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:34 PM

1486593_10101955085913960_1557409333_n.j

#20 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

omg that looks ridiculous. 

#21 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:48 AM

Hot dog with your choice of corned beef or pastrami (I chose pastrami) covered in Swiss cheese and sour kraut with Russian dressing on the side... heaven!!! Oh, and I got a cup of matzo ball soup instead of fries. Winning!!

#22 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

I opened my drawer to grab a t-shirt.. The one on top was my Brooklyn Bowl shirt. Put it on and am heading out for knishes! Thanks For the inspiration! I am naming today Wit Saturday in your honor!! :)

Awwww. I'm going to give knishes a try tonight using the recipe you posted and this video as a guide to roll them. Seems easy enough. If they turn out well I'll do these for a party this weekend. :smile: 

#23 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

Nice! Can't wait to hear how it goes :)

#24 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,071 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:19 PM

I LOVE KNISHES!!!!

#25 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

Not bad. To the recipe kramer posted I added chopped parsley, a head and a half of roasted garlic, and caramelized two pounds of onions.  I'll double the caramelized onions next time. I like em and they're cheap and easy to feed a party. 

#26 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

Niiiiice :) did u save me any???

#27 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:09 PM

I have a few yes, come over! :smile: