- - - - -

Should I make a big deal of this????

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Royal

• VibeTribe
  • 13,973 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:15 AM

I think I should because safety is a serious issue. I also know that I can get a notion in my mind and it can go too far.

Here's what's happening. There's an emergency exit at my gym. It is partially blocked by one of workout apparatuses. Not so much that you couldn't get through under normal circumstances. It's a 2 door exit and about half of the left door is blocked. Too me it's a big deal because in a fire every inch counts.

Yesterday I told the staff about it. I went back today, over 24 hours later and it wasn't any better. I've thought about calling the fire commissioner. I've thought about elevating the call to gym management. Or I could leave it alone.

I don't want to cause drama or get kicked out of the gym, but safety is really important, right? In a fire situation you need every inch of exits clear.

#2 Lemireacle

• VibeTribe
  • 29,681 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:03 AM

You could try to contact the manager of the gym by e-mail or phone, and explain the situation. Ask them to look into moving it. But if people can access the door, I don't think you're going to have much of a case for it being moved. Definitely worth it to contact the manager though. Just my opinion.

#3 namaste

• VibeTribe
  • 495 posts
  • Locationpine plains, ny

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:25 AM

def call the manager.  I'm crazy about fire exits too!   :rulez: 

#4 hippieskichick

• VibeTribe
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

Yes, you should make a deal of it. Tell someone first, and if nothing gets done soon, then call the fire guys. It's a legal issue. 

#5 Jabadoodle

• VibeTribe
  • 7,706 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

It should definitely be moved and since it bothers you, you should say something. Tell management, staff may not care and/or feel like it's a problem and/or not want to  "cause drama" just like you. Management will probably be more responsive. Also give them a while. 24 hours is not a long time considering the exit is only 25% blocked; people often have other priorities. But if you tell management and nothing is done after a couple days, I'd speak with them one more time -- then call some officials.

You don't have to make a "big" deal of it, just handle it.

PS: Good for you, Ryan, for going to the gym! My membership is going to waste. Maybe tonight...

#6 Condormania

• VibeTribe
  • 5,388 posts
  • LocationWest Haven

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

Definitely make a big deal about it.

#7 crazytigerrabbitman

• VibeTribe
  • 699 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:59 PM

Meh.  Workout faster and simply get out of there.