• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,951 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:44 PM

Do you put 'em in a book? Have them everywhere? Don't keep track at all?

I just tried out OneTsp.com and it seems really cool. Able to click a button on almost any site and it copies the recipe into your own file, even copied the pictures. Keeps a link to the original page. Supposedly can make an ingredients list to your smart-phone, though I haven't tried that yet. Of course can also enter your own directly.

#2 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,972 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:02 PM

I have them bookmarked on my computer.  Then ones I really, really like I print out and put in a binder.

#3 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,772 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:20 AM

I use the Evernote app.  I can clip and save something when browsing on the computer (chrome add-on) and it will sync w/ my phone (perfect for grocery shopping) and tablet (handy to have in the kitchen instead of dragging the laptop in there).

#4 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,875 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:32 AM

The vast majority of mine are printed on index cards in a box, old skool. I have a few books flagged as well. I almost exclusively use allrecipes.com, and they have an easy way to save anything you want, or even random stuff you look at. 

It would be nice to have all of mine in a file, though it would take a while to transfer my paper stuff. I like the idea of having the link to the original site copied in the info. That's pretty awesome. I know when I copy stuff, I adlib and write shortcuts, and I sometimes kick myself later on, because at the time of the initial copying, I assume that I know what the hell I'm talking about later on, which is usually NOT the case! :lol:

#5 Baidarka

Baidarka
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:31 AM

Evernote also (aside from those that are already in a 3" binder or the myriad of books).  Anything new goes to Evernote under the tag "recipes" the additional tags "dessert", "grilling", "beer", etc. to further aid in my search/recall.

#6 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,440 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:56 AM

I don't store recipes

For baking, recipes are REALLY important.  

I don't bake; reveur does and has a folder and probably saves some stuff on her laptop.

For general cooking, I don't find recipes that necessary most of the time. I just go on memory.  I'll occasionally browse recipes online and try someone else's recipe verbatim, but 95% of the time I just head into the store, look at ingredients and trust my taste buds and cooking technique to come up with something good.  

#7 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,760 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:06 AM

i used a photo album with the magnetic pages.   easy to add pages and easy to organize

#8 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,438 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:12 AM

Pinterest for ones I've found on various websites
www.pinterest.com/dosharoo/nom-noms

Google Drive for other ones we store electronically

#9 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,951 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:15 AM

Pinterest for ones I've found on various websites
www.pinterest.com/dosharoo/nom-noms

You've got some good one's on there.

#10 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

i'm not much of a recpie cook except for baking, but that's mostly for scratch type stuff.

Once i've made something enough times, - like pickles, the veggies for the antipasta i just go for it.

If it's in a box, i'm usually pretty good making amendments like when i put a layer of peanut butter in the middle of my brownies.

i have a few cookbooks i have been using since forever and i have a copy of the Boardie Cookbook on my pc at work and at home.  probably have a hard copy somewhere as well.

I also go to the food section here, since alot isn't in the book.

does anyone think it's time to update it ?

#11 shadeelady

shadeelady
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

I have a box with the index cards and i use pinterest and allrecipes.com

i also have a copy of the boardie cookbook. I printed it and put it in a binder.

I think updating that is an excellent idea. :)

#12 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

i keep everything printed or written on paper in clear sheet protectors in a binder...it's just easier for me to find & put to use when they're that way instead of searching on my computer.

#13 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,438 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:22 AM

I like having them online so I can look up random recipes while at the supermarket

#14 namaste

namaste
  • VibeTribe
  • 495 posts
  • Locationpine plains, ny

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:27 AM

I use 'pocket'.  It saves whole pages, articles whatever so all my saved stuff is a giant jumble but all in pocket.  

#15 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,061 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

I have a binder with dividers and page protectors...If I use something online and like it then I print it and put it in the book. I keep a list of meals we like for those nights that I just draw a blank on what to make for dinner so I don't have to hurt my head coming up with something. 

#16 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,388 posts
  • LocationWest Haven

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

I keep mine in my brain.

#17 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

like a fool, and all over the place.

i have a file folder full of hand written and computer print out recipes.

I use ziplist to keep epicurious.com and simplyrecipes.com recipes stored on line.

I have used Cheftap as a central storage between pc, phone, tablet, and with their latest update I may look to them. It allows you to "share" any webpage with the app, and it stores the recipe and instructions sections.  It also allows you to edit & save the recipes in the app.  I think the cross device backup / sharing / synching is still a lil short of what I'd want, but I like the concept, and I've been working with it a bit since it was a beta app.

I also like Yummly.com who has pioneer woman and skinnytaste.com stuff, and some decent reccomendations.  it builds your profile by using your tastes and ingredient lists and recipes that you "YUM" or "like"

I'd like ONE place, online that stores recipe edits, and a bonus would be a synch across devices.

thankfully, once I cook something two or three times i don't need the recipe anymore.  If it is one that I make alot, and it's difficult, I'll print that and keep it in the file folder mess.

#18 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,951 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

I'd like ONE place, online that stores recipe edits, and a bonus would be a synch across devices.

So far I'm liking OneTsp for online. I have not tried the smartphone sync but is says it has it. I love how it clips recipes from other sites and formats them all the same -- but still with a link to the original if you want it. Below is a screen shot of a recipe it clipped from another site. No editing required on my part -- it didn't look like this on the original site. 

Also trying out the Pinterest thing, kind of cool. Not 

cgeh.png

#19 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

Lately I have been taking apart all my old cook books and scanning them. I have made almost all my recipes digital.

Everything I pull out of magazines or the newspaper I scan and file.

I started in an effort to reduce the amount of stuff in my house and found that I like having the ability to send recipes easily.

Now everyone in my family has a copy of my grandma's cookbook.

#20 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

Lately I have been taking apart all my old cook books and scanning them. I have made almost all my recipes digital.

Everything I pull out of magazines or the newspaper I scan and file.

I started in an effort to reduce the amount of stuff in my house and found that I like having the ability to send recipes easily.

Now everyone in my family has a copy of my grandma's cookbook.

<< will trade hand puppets for a copy of the cook book

#21 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,714 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

My wife has a notebook full of these.  Then has an older version of these in a book with lament sleeves to fit the paper.  And as a back up she has them in a word document.

We do have 2 boxes full of Kate's grandmothers recipes too. Not sure what to do with them.   The time and effort to scan them or write them out is daunting.

#22 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

So far I'm liking OneTsp for online. I have not tried the smartphone sync but is says it has it. I love how it clips recipes from other sites and formats them all the same -- but still with a link to the original if you want it. Below is a screen shot of a recipe it clipped from another site. No editing required on my part -- it didn't look like this on the original site. 

Also trying out the Pinterest thing, kind of cool. Not 

sounds like OneTsp and ChefTap are very similar.  I'll take a look at OneTsp, thanks!!!

chepTap's idea of synching, are backing up to googleDrive and then uploading to the other device.  this is not synching.  next update may get better

EDIT: OneTsp has a 150 recipe limit on the free account. 

EDIT2: they don't care about android.  not gonna work:

Android phone users: If you can share instructions for how to install the bookmarklet on an Android phone, please contact us.

#23 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

I have tons and tons of cook books on file.

I will compress some and put them up on drop box later this week for you!

#24 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,951 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

sounds like OneTsp and ChefTap are very similar.  I'll take a look at OneTsp, thanks!!!

chepTap's idea of synching, are backing up to googleDrive and then uploading to the other device.  this is not synching.  next update may get better

EDIT: OneTsp has a 150 recipe limit on the free account. 

EDIT2: they don't care about android.  not gonna work:

Android phone users: If you can share instructions for how to install the bookmarklet on an Android phone, please contact us.

I noticed the 150 limit. It's $5 per year after that. Ehh.

I didn't notice that it wasn't Android friendly. Jerks.

#25 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:36 PM

sent you a link to my drop box with a compressed file

#26 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

sent you a link to my drop box with a compressed file

thanks

surgery went well, all that's left is to re attach the monkey's arms - hopefully tonight

#27 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:52 AM

for printed ones I used to cut out and put into a binder...but I started using CamScanner app to make PDF files of them with my phone>desktop>external hard drive.