Royal's 2013-2014 exercise and eating well diary

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#1 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,331 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

First time on the treadmill since Sept when I got lyme.  Was on it for 25 minutes.  Usually after a long lay off I can only do 17-20 minutes

cut my soda intake down to 1-2 a day without any days going more than 2 in the past 2 weeks.

Eating less, my big problem is that I wake up at night and eat.

Weight is now at 333 after a high of 342.

EDITED: LOL, high weight was 342 not 442.

#2 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,446 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

Those are really great gains royal, you should be very proud of yourself, I sure am proud of you for keep getting back on the horse and trying. I know how difficult life changes like these can be- good for you for keeping at it. Things like the walking even a moderate walk for a half hour a day can dramatically impprove outcomes for all kindds of health issues, even if you can't easily see it or feel it- so just KNOW THAT. 

#3 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,639 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:41 AM

Good work here is the no sugar all natural soda I told you about.

http://www.zevia.com/

#4 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,331 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

my "sugars" levels, supposed to be between 80-120. Until recently I rare checked them but when I did they were in the mid 200 and once 545!

Here's my recent scores, most recent listed first.

#5 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,331 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

30 minutes on the treadmill today. light lunch. Didn't weigh myself today, simply forgot. no big deal.

Planning on working out tomorrow and taking Tuesday off.

#6 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,446 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

This is so awesome royal, so proud of you. Keep it up. :smile:

#7 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,577 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:57 AM

30 minutes on the treadmill today. light lunch. Didn't weigh myself today, simply forgot. no big deal.

Planning on working out tomorrow and taking Tuesday off.

awesome, ry!

please, please try to wean yourself off soda completely. It's sooo toxic, for so many reasons.

What about seltzer with a squeeze of lemon or lime? You still get the carbonation without the toxins (phosphoric acid, artificial flavoring, sugar...) and you get a touch of healthy fresh lime juice?

I never drank seltzer until I met Tim - now I'm kinda hooked.

#8 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,577 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:59 AM

about sugar:

short video. very informative

http://www.cbsnews.c...ch/?id=7403942n

and

http://www.sltrib.co...-potts.html.csp

#9 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,446 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

Biggest thing is not to get down on yourself if you slip or make an unhealthy choice, just recognize that you did, but don't beat yourself up about it because it will be more difficult to maintain motivation....I think anyhow. You can't change every little thing all at once and be perfect. You should DEFINITELY acknowledge all of the tiny successes ad note how you feel by making good choices- definitely feel free to feel awesome about those because they will help motivate you to make more and more good choices. That's what I think anyhow. I'm really proud of you Royal, keep it up...I'm practicing my moves. :grin: 

#10 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,153 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

congrats on your accomplishments thus far, ryan :)

keep up the good work!

#11 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

that's great ryan! it's difficult to get started but now you have!

I agree with cutting out the soda completely--I drink soda maybe twice a year and that's only if my stomach is upset.

#12 namaste

namaste
  • VibeTribe
  • 495 posts
  • Locationpine plains, ny

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:51 AM

great stats!  hang in there and keep trying.  try some new green food every day.  I have 'discovered'  the fall squashes.  It's so easy and soooo yummy.  Get a butternut or acorn squash.  Don't even cut it, just put it in the oven for an hour and 20 minutes at 350.  When it's done let it coola bit then simply cut it down the middle, scrape out the seeds and discard.  Add some butter or coconut oil, spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, a pinch of cloves and mix it all up.  It's CRAZY good!  and very filling, and HEALTHY!  Try spaghetti squash.  I also made 'lasagna'   with zuchinni strips as the 'noodles'  and even my husband loved it!  Said it tasted like the real thing and he's a pasta-holic.  Get creative.  Enjoy yourself!  Oh yeah, and ditch the soda.  Seltzer with fruit slices .  :)  

#13 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,331 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

40 minutes on the treadmill yesterday,    Today is an off day

Thoughts.. what would be better,.,,more time or using  incline? How much should I begin with ithe incline.?

#14 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,356 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

This is all so great Ryan!    You rock :)

I would put the treadmill on an incline of at least 1 whether you plan to go further or not.   I personally put in on 3 but take your time working up to it or you'll get sore shins  ;)

#15 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,331 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

I had my first low blood pressure incident this morning. I got up at 6, ate a hard boiled egg and went back to sleep.  I tested my blood sugar when I  got up at 8.  It was 54.  I ate a mini snickers bar and drank some apple juice.  If I hadn't tested my blood sugar, I would have shot up on insulin,,  and it would have resulted in a life-threatening situation.  Fortunately I'm fine now.

#16 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,331 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:22 AM

haven't been exercising, I've been really busy. I will get back on the treadmill tomorrow and Sunday. Love watching football on the treadmill.

I take two kinds of insulin and I went to the Dr's office and she lowered both of them. I'm heading in the right direction to be off insulin altogether.
It will be a long road but I'm doing it. Haven't had any alcohol since 11/16.

#17 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,446 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

Oh wow how did I miss this? Have insulin lowered is definitely progress in the right direction! It's totally possible to be off insulin altogether. How's it going Royal? How's this week going for you? :smile: 

#18 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,331 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

Hi Wit,

Continued success with getting my blood sugar scores just right.  I am well on the way to being off insullin altogether.  Have been a little depressed, hurt a finger, and haven't been exercising.  Haven't given up though.  Will get back on the treadmill soon.

#19 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,446 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

What's wrong with today? :heart: 

#20 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,331 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:30 PM

It will depend on the weather.

#21 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 699 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:28 PM

R.I.P.> this thread.  November 16th to November 26th.

Lest we forget. :confused1:

#22 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,446 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:08 PM

How ya doing Royal? :gingersnap: 

#23 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,331 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:14 AM

How ya doing Royal? :gingersnap:

I'll check in tomorrow afternoon. She what my Medical Group has to say.  They lowered the insulin and my scores are high again.

#24 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,446 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

I think lowering insulin is a great goal and definitely an indicator that lifestyle changes are having a good effect, but maybe if you can break that goal into smaller more short term goals, than you'll have more success attaining those larger goals like lowering insulin and losing weight. For example, maybe take 2 or 3 changes that you think you can do each day or each week, for example I know you want to get on the treadmill and I know you want to not drink soda...maybe it's not that you give up soda 100% but say- for 5 out of 7 days I won't drink soda...or perhaps, limit your soda intake to one soda per week....That would be incredible success over the daily soda you had been drinking. And not always, but very often smaller goals like this when practiced over a few months really do become habit and you don't have to try so hard at them.  :heart:

I think it's great when you can get on the treadmill for 30 minutes, I know you feel really excellent about doing that, but remember that all those minutes add up, so even if you have time/energy to walk for 5 minutes, ten minutes...do that- they are all going into what I call your fitness bank. 5 minutes here 10 there is better than none at all. Maybe you have a goal to do the treadmill 90 minutes a week. You can bang that out in 3 thirty minute sessions or break it down smaller...maybe you walk 10 minutes a day for 5 days and then 20 minutes for two days....

I'ma big believer in short and intermediate goals- the short term 'this is what I can do today" changes that lead to success with intermediate goals. 

I'm really proud of you for wanting to take control over your health Ryan. You can do it. Try not to be discouraged and if you are, give me a call. :heart:

#25 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,331 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:29 PM

They're are talking about giving me an insulin pump.  Anyone have knowledge or opinions about them?

I want to try but I don't want to go off tv.

#26 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,331 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:31 AM

16 days without Fast Food. :)  I feel the difference, I really do.  And as long as my car is being repaired, I won't be eating any.  To bad I couldn't eat the stupid deer that wrecked it. I hear they're lean.

#27 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,331 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:51 AM

Over a week without alcohol.  My mom is enjoying drinking my beer.

#28 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,887 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

16 days without Fast Food. :)  I feel the difference, I really do.  

Fast food wrecks your guts. Your body knows what is good and bad. I typically don't eat much of any fast food, but occasionally I will get a craving for some fries or something, and I just hate my life afterwards - I feel like a bag of shit. I had a work road trip from NC to ID, then ASAP from Idaho to NY, so I was on the road 8 of 10 days. I tried to not eat so much fast food, but I didn't have much of a choice. By the time I got to NY, my guts/bowels were a mess, literally. My skin was all sorts of fucked up (normally very clear) and I just felt weak and crampy and yucky. Headaches. I just felt sick. I've done long drives before, but never that much FF in one shot.

If you feel the urge to eat out quick, go to Subway, or Chipotle, or even Boston Market. Besides the health aspect of it, there is some weird crap in the other stuff. You don't really feel it as much until you eat it again after not eating it for a long time.

Keep it up. Good job! See if you can go until the end of January with no fast food. 

#29 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,356 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

So glad you are not eating fast food Ryan!   It's a great change for the better :thup:

As you know I do long road trips several times a year so I make sure I always have a box of granola bars, some fruit and some nuts in the car. It totallly helps with the moment of 'I am starving!" where I may in a moment of low blood sugar, make a choice that I'll pay for later....      When JP and I do those VERY long (sometimes 18 hour) drives to festivals I pack a little cooler for the car with sandwiches, carrots and celery, yogurt,homemade cookies,  etc.     

#30 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,331 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

Yeah it's been going good.  I'm not craving the fast food. For me, if I have fast food it makes  me want more fast food.  The key for me is to make sure we have good meal options at home, so I don't go out for fast food. 

#31 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,622 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

You go with your bad self!

#32 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,331 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

They say when you stop eating fast food for awhile it starts making sick when you do eat it.  I stopped at McDonald's for an egg-mcmuffin after not eating fast-food for over 3 weeks and boy am I paying for it.

#33 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,446 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

I went to the doctor and told him, "Doc my arm hurts when I keep doing this." The doctor said "Stop doing that." 

#34 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,887 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:47 PM

They say when you stop eating fast food for awhile it starts making sick when you do eat it.  I stopped at McDonald's for an egg-mcmuffin after not eating fast-food for over 3 weeks and boy am I paying for it.

Kinda makes you stop and think what the hell could be in there that they call "food" that could just make a person sick. 

And yeah, what Wit said. 

#35 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,431 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:48 PM

Kinda makes you stop and think what the hell could be in there that they call "food" that could just make a person sick. 

English Muffin:
Enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, yeast, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, wheat gluten, soybean oil and/or canola oil, contains 2% or less of the following: salt, calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, citric acid, calcium citrate, yellow corn flour, corn meal, rice flour, barley malt, artificial flavors, natural flavors (botanical source), dough conditioners (ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, datem, tricalcium phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, enzymes, calcium peroxide), calcium propionate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), soy lecithin. Prepared with Liquid Margarine.

Egg:
USDA Grade A eggs, soy lecithin (release agent). Prepared with Liquid Margarine.

Pasteurized Process American Cheese:
Milk, water, milkfat, cheese culture, sodium citrate, salt, citric acid, sorbic acid (preservative), sodium phosphate, artificial color, lactic acid, acetic acid, enzymes, soy lecithin (added for slice separation).

Canadian Style Bacon:
Pork, water, sugar, salt, sodium lactate, sodium phosphate, natural flavor (vegetable), sodium diacetate and sodium nitrite (preservatives).

Liquid Margarine:
Liquid soybean oil, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).

#36 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,887 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

azodicarbonamide... Yum!!!!

My personal favorite - zanthan gum! :Phishfolk:

I always thought it would be a good name for a shitty band that opened for Gwar. 

#37 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,577 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

Thought of you, Ry

today's Daily Om

What we eat and drink can have a powerful effect on our ability to focus, mental clarity, mood, and stress levels.

At its simplest, food is fuel. Though our preferences regarding taste and texture can vary widely, we all rely on the foods we eat for energy. Most people are aware that it is vital we consume a diverse assortment of foods if we aspire to maintain a state of physical well-being. However, the intimate connection between diet and our mental well-being is less understood. Just as the nutritional components in food power the body, so too do they power the mind. Some foods can impair cognitive functioning and sap our energy while others heighten our intellectual prowess and make us feel vigorous. What we eat and drink can have a powerful effect on our ability to focus, mental clarity, mood, and stress levels.

Food allergies, which don’t always manifest themselves in forms we recognize, can also play a significant role in the maintenance of mental health. Thus, for most of us, even a simple change in diet can have a profoundly positive impact on our lives. Taking the time to explore whether anxiety, muddled thoughts, or inexplicable tension can be linked to a food allergy or food sensitivity can empower you to treat your symptoms naturally. The benefits of a healthier, more personalized diet are often felt immediately. Sugar, saturated fats, wheat, and dairy products are frequently allergens and can stress the body. For people that are allergic, consuming them can cause imbalances in the physical self that have a negative effect on the body’s ability to nourish the brain. Water, fiber, nuts, unprocessed seeds, raw fruits and vegetables, and vegetable proteins, on the other hand, support physical and mental functioning by providing those nutrients we do need without additional subs! tances we don’t.

A balanced, natural diet can ease mood swings, panic attacks, anxiety, and mild depression. Intellectual clarity and agility is improved when the mind receives proper nourishment. Even those individuals who are blessed with the ability to consume almost any food can benefit from a healthier and simpler diet. Since the mental and physical selves are closely bound to one another, we must feed each the foods upon which they thrive.

#38 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,331 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:26 AM

Hi China,

Thanks!

There are some good points in the above.  Worked out yesterday and today.

#39 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,446 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

Worked out yesterday and today.

:gingersnap: 

#40 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,577 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

Ry, please watch

http://drhyman.com/b...ose-corn-syrup/

#41 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,331 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

Gonna finish my first ever soda-less day at the office.  Coke Zero is now Zero Coke :)

China Cat I will watch that when I get home.

#42 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,331 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

Ry, please watch

http://drhyman.com/b...ose-corn-syrup/

Hey China Kitty,

I watched it. I'm gonna count the items in my house with HFCS. Taking a nap, long day at work.  Thanks for caring and sharing.  <3

#43 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,331 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:51 AM

Blood sugar scores are really good this week.

#44 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,896 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:19 AM

:clapping:

#45 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,331 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

Trip to Portland.... Ran around airports including the enormous Detroit airport, climbed to the top of Mt. Tabor, Walked around the Oregon coast, took long walks 3 different times, had fresh seafood and big salads, did not over-consume the legendary Portland beers, danced at 3 shows.

Not a bad week.

#46 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,887 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

And how have you been feeling lately? 

#47 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,331 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

And how have you been feeling lately? 

exhausted from the travel.

#48 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,331 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

Checking in,

Except for one night at Rock N Roll resort, I haven't had any alcohol since NYE.

My mom is drinking my leftover beers so I don't... What a gal!

I had a circulation test done at my Dr.'s office and I got a perfect score.

I have my annual diabetic eye check coming up soon. (I don't anticipate any problems)

My heels, riddled with dry, cracked skin.. are doing much better with daily use of some sort of cream

I have made several new friends in New Paltz and I go out almost every Thursday with PureSilliness and we both have managed to avoid alcohol

Today I went for a 45 minute walk on the trail.  Kind crowded with bicycles but I got it done.  Paying less attention to distance but I would estimate that I did over 2 miles.

#49 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,446 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

This makes me smile. :smile: 

#50 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,356 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

Good stuff Ryan!