Having some "distressing" symptoms...

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

Really weird things happening in my hands and toes within the last 3 months or so.  At first, I started to get occcasional busrsts of "electricity" firing down both arms right to my fingertips.  This got progressively worse through the end of the summer, then subsided.  Soon after, the "electricity feeling was replaced by a dulling of my middle finger on both hands.  Just the tips actually.

That dullness started to spread to both ring fingers, and slowly has crept up to the knuckles of both hands.  I cant really feel temperatures or pain with either hand.  They are weak, and feel like they are "asleep" and wont wake up.  Like if you were making snowballs and your hands get ice-cold....thats how my hands feel all the time now.  

In addition to this stuff, I have the same kind of numbness hitting the big toes on both feet, and sometimes the rest of the toes feel like rocks or wood.  Balance is tricky, sometimes I feel like my legs arent "mine"....especially when climbing stairs or trying to jog or run.  They dont want to move as quickly as my brain wants them to go.  I even fell down when coming down stairs because i simply did not feel the ground when I stepped down.

The worst part of this is I am unable to play my bass anymore....my fingers dont feel the strings enough to accurately play them.  Its killing me!!!  

My mom and aunt both had me get my blood sugar tested (which is easy enough since the gf is a type 1 diabetic) and my blood sugar numbers are consistently in the healthy range every time I test.  Safe to say I dont have diabetes.  Other than that, I am at a loss here.  No health insurence at this tme, but I am going to enroll in the county charity care so I can get checked out soon.  Im just wondering, is anyone else going through this, or have you had similar symptoms?

#2 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,153 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

Pinched nerve? Donate blood for a free blood screening maybe? Hope everything is aok!

#3 shadeelady

shadeelady
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

pinched nerve was what i was thinking.....know a chiropractor??

#4 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

Pinched nerve? Donate blood for a free blood screening maybe? Hope everything is aok!

the one thing bothering me lately is mom kinda mentioned that these are beginning symptoms of ms.  im not really worried about that, but it has entered my consciousness.  ugh

typing is also strange.

#5 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,153 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:35 PM

Hoping for a best scenario for you! Stay positive!!!

#6 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,248 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:35 PM

This

#7 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

thank Java.  i am trying not to get depressed, but not being able to jam really f'ing sucks :sad:

#8 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,153 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

thank Java.  i am trying not to get depressed, but not being able to jam really f'ing sucks :sad:

I hear that...I bought a guitar via guitar for dummies and the instructions were too confusing...it's now in my closet

#9 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,882 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

I've had something similar to the electricity feeling in my hands and it was exactly in my middle and ring fingers, although mine ended up feeling more pain than dullness...like really really sore and sensitive in strange ways (putting my hands under running water was unbearable at one point)   I need to see a rheumatologist- I'm pretty sure it was an arthritic flareup or something, but haven't been checked out yet. It took a month to mostly go away and I am not 100% back to normal, but I don't really notice it much now. Damn it we're getting old. But I didn't have any of the leg stuff you are talking about- that sounds really scary and you need to get checked out. 

There must be a clinic you can go to that probably operates on a sliding scale or something. From everything I was asked by different professionals (a close friend is a physical therapist and healer, called my doctor, Sean's friend that does alternative healing) it doesn't seem like it would be a pinched nerve because it is in both hands.

Sheesh hoagie, I hope you figure out what it is and feel better. :sad:

#10 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

Yeah, it does sound like pinched nerves. Could be brought on by early arthritis or a host of others things.

#11 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

Pinched nerves huh?  Its weird cuz I dont have any "pain" anywhere.  Not yet, anyway

#12 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

Get yourself before a doctor ASAP and stay positive! 

http://www.mayoclini...to-see-a-doctor

Meantime, watch a funny movie, or hang out with someone who makes you laugh.  Levity helps.

Maybe put on some Mermen!

I am wishing the best for you brother!!!

#13 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

ugh reading that reminds me....the last Basement Generals show we played in September, we trainwrecked the jam in the Rubdown because my left hand JUST STOPPED WORKING.  I just lost all control of it, and it wouldnt do anything.  

yeah, i gotta go to the doctor.

ok, off to work, have a fabulous day everyone.  ttyl

#14 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,462 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

Hope it is not MS, but you rmom would know your family History.

My dad has MS.  He has to take Steroid treatment and it works pretty well.  Not that I would know more since I barely see him (since he and my mom divorced when I was 2).  But from our 2 or 3 dinners we have had (now more than 5 years ago) he mentioned this.  

#15 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,352 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

(((Hope you see a doc soon, and figure out what's going on)))

#16 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,026 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

Rather than pinched nerves it sounds like a peripheral or long tract nerve entrapment. This is within what I do for work. I know really good people down the shore who could help and fix this. Please ask me for a referral.

#17 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,096 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

get to a dr. sooner, not later. whether it's back shit or ms or something else, acupuncture/east asian meds can probably slow down its progression if you get in there early and often. look for a community clinic with a sliding scale, if funds are an issue.

#18 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,096 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:33 PM

and what josh said. no shit.

#19 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,882 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

hoagie are you working? Can you apply for medicaid? 

#20 namaste

namaste
  • VibeTribe
  • 495 posts
  • Locationpine plains, ny

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

Because it's both hands and feet, I'm thinking it's not a nerve.  (or at least not just one)  A nerve would only effect the tract it goes along.  It sounds more widespread.   Look up "Raynaud's" .  I have it bad and it started with the pain and loss of feeling you describe.  Commonly effects the hands and feet and feeling temperatures intensely is common.  It's a vascular problem.  Just a thought.  But the 'wooden' feeling in the legs and falling is scary.  Try to find a good rheumatologist.  If you do get blood work ask them to do your ANA and CRP.  ANA will say whether you have auto-immune tendancies, CRP is an inflammatory marker.  Hope you're ok!!  xo

#21 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,096 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

trust her, she's a nurse. ray's is also a symptom of some other shit, sometimes. either way, look up anti-inflammatoryantiinflammatory diet and start swinging that way. no joke. or go see a doctor. ;)

#22 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,096 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

peripheral neuropathy can be a symptom of all sorts of shit you don't want. get a heart/diabetes-friendly cookbook from your local library, or Google some heart/diabetes/stroke-friendly recipes and make mindfulness your pal. you really, really, don't want a stroke.

#23 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 471 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

Yup...and if you are able, make an appt with a neurologist.

#24 orion

orion
  • VibeTribe
  • 678 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

I know of some bass players who developed carpal tunnel... 

Hope you are okay.

#25 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

I had the same thing happen to me. My fingers would actually turn white. Happened to happen while i was at the dr's one day and I asked about it. He is a DO and told me it was my ulner nerve...he cracked my back and I was good for years....it just started again so I'm gonna go see him in a few weeks.

#26 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,026 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:08 PM

Erin I was actually thinking ulnar nerve. Again I know the best in the business...

#27 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

hoagie are you working? Can you apply for medicaid? 

yeah, two jobs now....sales full time, produce at Deans Natural Foods Market evenings and sat am.  Im working too much

#28 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,637 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:30 PM

I can't offer anything on this one except encouragement to get to a doctor and letting you know I want you to be well. Seems like there are some possibilities that are fixable and not terribly serious if you take care of them now. Now knowing can't be easy on you or good for you. 

#29 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

im scarfing down a pb & j sammich before my shift at the market (5pm) but i just wanna thank everyone for the tips, links, guidance, and well-wishes.  Ill keep everyone posted on what i find out.

my hands are soooo cold

#30 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:44 PM

Go to Doctor ;)

#31 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,882 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:04 AM

yeah, two jobs now....sales full time, produce at Deans Natural Foods Market evenings and sat am.  Im working too much

Have you applied for health insurance through the exchange or whatever you have going on in your state? You're in Jersey right? They have to be up and rolling by now. 

#32 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:14 AM

Jersey doesn't have an exchange (good ol' Chris Christie), he would have to use healthcare.gov if it's working more smoothly yet

#33 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:36 AM

my hands are SO FREAKING COLD right now....from the pinky in...if that makes sense

I can't wait to get it cracked and make the blood rush back

#34 namaste

namaste
  • VibeTribe
  • 495 posts
  • Locationpine plains, ny

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:01 AM

thanks for the vote of confidence Sarah B! xo  here's couple of products I use.  

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B0007ZF4OA

http://www.cabelas.c...ch-All Products

#35 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,096 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:08 AM

These were my best friends, post-Sandy: http://www.amazon.co...84312099&sr=1-2

#36 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,791 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:07 AM

dont let the ms idea freak you out, but i would def get it ruled out

i would tend to think it was a nerve issue, as well

its just the nerve is probably very centrally located thus causing it on both sides

def go see a neurologist

(i cant even type that word anymore without hearing the word in fishmans voice :funny1: )

hope you get it figured out and treated soon :thup:

#37 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

my hands are SO FREAKING COLD right now....from the pinky in...if that makes sense

I can't wait to get it cracked and make the blood rush back

im not having any discoloration or circulation issues in my hands, just sensory and motor problems.

Hope you get that taken care of love

#38 territoryranger

territoryranger
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:06 PM

I agree with ginger snap and Namaste,not a pinched nerve,cause it is in both hands and feet(legs).definitly get some scans,and possibly a spinal tap.

#39 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

I agree with ginger snap and Namaste,not a pinched nerve,cause it is in both hands and feet(legs).definitly get some scans,and possibly a spinal tap.

any clue as to what they might be looking for if not a pinched nerve?

#40 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

the one thing bothering me lately is mom kinda mentioned that these are beginning symptoms of ms.  im not really worried about that, but it has entered my consciousness.  ugh

typing is also strange.

I didn't read all the posts but this could be a lot of things - poor circulation, lyme, pinched nerve, diabetes. I wouldn't automatically categorize this as MS. My mom has had MS for 20 years. She's had lots of different things happen & never these symptoms you speak of. Plus MS is like russian roulette of the brain. It hits randomly & unexpectedly, not necessarily a slow progression

#41 williscat2000

williscat2000
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,452 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:10 PM

the last Basement Generals show we played in September, we trainwrecked the jam in the Rubdown because my left hand JUST STOPPED WORKING.  I just lost all control of it, and it wouldnt do anything.  

Hoag- I thought you sounded fantastic! Anyways the other beast of BG, Occifer, trainwrecked it, not you :bouncey:

#42 territoryranger

territoryranger
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

any clue as to what they might be looking for if not a pinched nerve?

Well they are certainly going to make sure it is not MS,or AlS.both of which can display those symtoms,but don't get worried in a hurry,those symptoms could very well be something less serious,like Raynaud's as Namaste suggested,which in a nutshell is poor circulation....or Syringomyella,which is a pocket of fluid that has built up on the spinal cord,in which they will just drain it.....Are there any other symptoms no matter how minute? Any Swelling,dizzyness,ringing in the ear?Have you ever had an injury to your spine especially the neck?Peripheral Neuropathies,as Sarah described,(damage to nerve(s)that does not affect the Brain or spinal cord)can be a result of a past illness,poisoning,hereditary,or something as simple as a vitamin deficiency,alcoholism associated with poor nutrition.....It also could be along the lines of what Erin and DHJ described..I'm not a doctor,this is all just from Medical books that i've read.Even for a doctor though,without tests,it's just guessing.So try to get some type of insurance or assistance so that you can get this checked out soon......i'm keeping my fingers crossed.....

#43 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,326 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:38 AM

Sounds like carpal tunnel to me but I don't know much