Photo

When you find art pleasing but you don't agree with the message?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Royal

Royal
  • Time Out
  • 13,657 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:11 AM

What do you?

I've been playing the sh*t out of Guns N' Roses's "One In A Million".  I don't know if they should profit off of this message however minuitely. (spotify).  I mean is this what they think or they just trying to show America how a small town white boy feels.

Sorry I don't have access to youtube at the moment, maybe someone will post it before you make us cry.

#2 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 33,302 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:26 AM

"When Axl first came up with the song and really wanted to do it, I said I didn't think it was very cool... I don't regret doing 'One in a Million,' I just regret what we've been through because of it and the way people have perceived our personal feelings." -Slash

#3 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,073 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:09 AM

wah...we made millions of doll hairs...wah

#4 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:39 PM

"One In A Million"

[Whistle]
Guess I needed sometime to get away
I needed some piece of mind
Some piece of mind that'll stay
So I thumbed it down to Sixth and L.A. ---
So I thumbed it down to nine o six ten L.A. ("90610") 
Maybe a Greyhound could be my way

Police and Niggers, that's right
Get out of my way
Don't need to buy none of your
Gold chains today
I don't need no bracelets
Clamped in front of my back
Just need my ticket; 'til then
Won't you cut me some slack?

You're one in a million
Yeah, that's what you are
You're one in a million, babe
You're a shooting star
Maybe someday we'll see you
Before you make us cry
You know we tried to reach you
But you were much too high
Much too high, much too high,
Much too high, yes, ow!

Immigrants and faggots
They make no sense to me
They come to our country
And think they'll do as they please
Like start some mini Iran,
Or spread some fuckin' disease
They talk so many goddamn ways
It's all Greek to me
Well some say I'm lazy
And others say that's just me
Some say I'm crazy
I guess I'll always be
But it's been such a long time
Since I knew right from wrong
It's all the means to an end, I
I keep it movin' along

You're one in a million
Oo, you're a shooting star
You know that you are
Maybe someday we'll see you, Oo
oh, Before you make us cry
Much too high, Oo, much too high
Yeah,
Much too high, huh, no, no, oh
Ow!

Radicals and Racists
Don't point your finger at me
I'm a small town white boy
Just tryin' to make ends meet
Don't need your religion
Don't watch that much T.V.
Just makin' my livin', baby
Well that's enough for me

You're one in a million
Yeah that's what you are
You're a shooting star
Maybe someday we'll see you
Before you make us cry
Much too high, ow, much too high,
Much too high, much too high
Yeah, yeee, yeah, yeee, igh!
Ow! Much too high
(Oh, much too high, ah,
much too high, ah, much too high
much too high, ow, much too high)

#5 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,726 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

I've never been a fan of that song.  There is no need for the type of lyrics.  Axl is not playing some sort of Character.  he is just being what he really is an asshole. 

#6 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

there are plenty of songs whose lyrics contain a message i might not agree with.  i like them anyway.  art doesn't always have to be pretty or PC.  in fact, i think it would be pretty boring if it was.  

that being said, i don't like that song.  never did.  i guess if someone is going to "go there" with their lyrics, i expect some deeper exploration.  or wit.  or raw emotion.  or, i dunno...something that makes it redeemable to my ears and brain.  he doesn't even sound like he's convinced of his own hatred.  that might be interesting, if he was.  but he half-assed it, and wrote a controversial song just to get a reaction and get some folks listening who might not otherwise bother.   

meh.

#7 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,297 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:09 AM

there are plenty of songs whose lyrics contain a message i might not agree with.  i like them anyway.  art doesn't always have to be pretty or PC.  in fact, i think it would be pretty boring if it was.  

that being said, i don't like that song.  never did.  i guess if someone is going to "go there" with their lyrics, i expect some deeper exploration.  or wit.  or raw emotion.  or, i dunno...something that makes it redeemable to my ears and brain.  he doesn't even sound like he's convinced of his own hatred.  that might be interesting, if he was.  but he half-assed it, and wrote a controversial song just to get a reaction and get some folks listening who might not otherwise bother.   

meh.

This.

Also, sometimes/always we get what we get out of a song regardless of the artist's intent. I have heard it said that artists often don't know the meaning of their work, possibly can't because they are too close to it. It is up to you to create your own meaning. In some ways it is not even art until you, dear listener, come to give it meaning. And your meaning need not follow the words exactly as it is laid out; after all this is not prose, it is not a law, is it not a textbook or a user manual, it is art.

Maybe what you connect to is some emotion in the song. Some hatred that you still feel and this helps you access. Or some hatred you have left behind and this helps you remember how you once felt and how you let it go. And those hatreds need have nothing to do with the types of hate in the words of this song. 

Or maybe what you connect with is being a shooting star, one in a million, that can't quite be reached, that is much too far away for that. Or maybe you connect with other people being too far out of reach and maybe you'd like to see them before they leave and make you cry. Or...you tell us. What do you connect to within this song?

More practically and back to your concern: Personally I might be careful funneling money to someone that I thought used it for purposes I thought were bad. So if Axl or whoever was using the money to support hate groups, maybe I would not want to listen to their music so that money did not flow their way. Barring that, I don't think listening to a song that does something for you should give you any concern.

#8 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,465 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:39 AM

unrelated, but, turn your volume down before playing this cute video.

http://www.wimp.com/cattheremin/