• VibeTribe
  • 5,269 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:28 PM

NetFlix Description: This documentary shines a harsh light on America's

"war on drvqs" and its long-term impact on society. Filmmaker Eugene

Jarecki captures the stories of dealers, police officers, prison inmates

and others affected by the crusade.

There is much more I could say but in the interest of keeping it short...

* Important issue, no doubt.
* Decent doc. Some complaints but mostly a good film. 
* Comparing to the Holocaust is ridiculous and gratuitous.
* Many think these laws/policies are racist. With individual exceptions, I think not.
* I think mostly it's economic and unintentional.
* The film presents this economic view through examples and one person's directly saying it; it presents the racist view more.
* A racist law is not the same as a prejudiced law.
* I think the WoD was mostly good intentioned but very misguided -- the paradigm of locking people up does not solve the problems.
* I think the WoD is also because politicians can sell "tough on crime" but not "here to help" (or some other slogan for prevention/treatment)

Gary's Ideal world solutions (but probably not politically viable)

* Make ALL drugs either legal or nearly legal (i.e.: legal in all but quantities a mid-level or higher daelr would have.)

* Huge support for anyone struggling economically (whether from dvrqs or not). Education, life coaching, job search help, counseling, etc. 

* And the #1 thing: Tons more money and Tons more research into whatever works for EDUCATION (Children & Adults).  Teach the Children Well. Give them Hope & Opportunities. Show them roll models. 

I'd rather put $10 into education than $1 into finding and locking someone away. It's not only the right thing to do from the immediate moral perspective, but it pays back dividends to the society that helped them in terms of taxes, contributions to the world, less crime, etc.

PS: I know some will argue the racism. I'm not going to debate that at all here; I don't care to change your minds or even try. But don't think for a moment that I don't see why you think it's racist. I do see why you think is, and I still think you are wrong. 

PPS: Going to do an "Education: What Works What Doesn't" thread soon.

#2 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,269 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:47 PM

Couple points from the movie:

15:30 -- Dvrqs is to get rid of pain. So why the pain & how to get rid of it? ~ Exactly. It's economic. Get people to have hope & options and very few will use in anything but a benign way.

24:01 -- "Increasing poverty pushed (it) onto the streets." ~ Again, it's economic.

33:20 -- "Dvrqs is the only ecomomy still functioning in (many) towns." (Paraphrase). ~ Again, economic.

37:00 -- "I don't know how to do different" -- It s a cycle. People don't have options -- or don't see their options, which is effectively the same thing.

39:20 -- Under Nixon who started the WoD, 1/3 of WoD budget was enforcement 2/3rds was Prevention & Treatment. And they had numbers showing this worked. But they could not sell it to the public. ~ It didn't start as racist or with bad intentions.

42:00 -- Guy in prison for drvqs: The education program here was the best thing to happen to me. ~ Why can't we educate them before their lives are ruined?

Lots of the movie leading up to the 1:30:00 point (maybe 1:10:00 to 1:30:00 ??) give lots of examples of how it's economic based not race.

1:39:00 -- He actually says it's class based not race based. ~ Yes, just one guy's opinion - just saying.

Reason I point out all the race stuff is I think it does a disservice to this issue (not to mention other actual race issues) to make race an issue where the real root-cause is economics. It makes the problem harder to solve because A) you loose some people that don't agree with you that it's race based (because it isn't) and B )  you start focusing on the wrong thing.

Also 'cause personally I've had people that won't even listen to arguments for this point of view -- which always pisses me off.

#3 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,669 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for your thoughts, G.

Don't have much time as of late to offer thoughtful feedback (6 weeks of semester left - lots of grading)

I really appreciated the format of the documentary. I believe it to have addressed the issue of drugs, politics, poverty, and incarceration in a thoughtful way.

The system is broken.

For those interested you can watch it on Netflix or rent for a few bucks on Amazon

#4 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,269 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:26 PM

* Make ALL drugs either legal or nearly legal (i.e.: legal in all but quantities a mid-level or higher daelr would have.)

I have been rethinking this one. I'm not so sure what the right answer on this is. Been considering things on many sides.

Aside from the legal status though...education, help, support, treatment, prevention, education, job-training, support, education, treatment, ... 

#5 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,669 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:21 PM

#6 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,269 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

PS: I should not put this here since it's really a different topic

but was just watching this video on CO2 "stunning" of pigs.

If anything is a holocaust, this is. http://www.eyesonanimals.com/