• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,712 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:05 AM

Okay, I know I have started a couple twitter threads but the others got long and into the topic of if it was useful or not, etc. Now I've decided to try it out for a while, and I know a couple of you use it....so help me figure this out...

If #govibes were to become a de facto hashtag, do I have to search for it every time to find tweets with that, or can I follow a hashtag?

I have a post from @MikeTyson in my feed. No idea why it's there since I don't follow Mike Tyson. Can I find out where it's there? Is there some option like "don't follow this source" so I can delete this and all like it?

#2 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,709 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

:facepalm:

#3 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,341 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

Okay, I know I have started a couple twitter threads but the others got long and into the topic of if it was useful or not, etc. Now I've decided to try it out for a while, and I know a couple of you use it....so help me figure this out...

If #govibes were to become a de facto hashtag, do I have to search for it every time to find tweets with that, or can I follow a hashtag?

I have a post from @MikeTyson in my feed. No idea why it's there since I don't follow Mike Tyson. Can I find out where it's there? Is there some option like "don't follow this source" so I can delete this and all like it?

That Mike Tyson in your feed may be my Retweet.   You will see tweets from other people when the people you follow retweet from someone they follow.  Please note that most of my tweets will be retweets of either something funny or awesome.  I am even more a fan of Mike since seeing the Being Mike 6 part documentary.

You cannot follow a hashtag, but if you type it in the search bar, it will save the search so the next time you just tap the search bar, then you will see a drop down menu.  A recent upgrade allows you to delete these searches.  In the past they would stay in there forever and became annoying.

#4 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,712 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

:picardfp:

< Pleased.

#5 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,712 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

You cannot follow a hashtag, but if you type it in the search bar, it will save the search so the next time you just tap the search bar, then you will see a drop down menu.  A recent upgrade allows you to delete these searches.  In the past they would stay in there forever and became annoying.

See, I don't understand that. If I want to follow what's happening at #govibes or #occupyboston, I don't want to have to go search every time I open Twitter, I want to open the app/page and just see what I've showed interest in.

As for the Mike Tyson thing, makes sense that it may be from you. I still think a way to see where it came from would be helpful -- so when my feed is full of crap, I know who to weed out.

Lots of things about Twitter make me feel they've got it wrong. From the help screens that reference things that have been moved or removed to ways the system operates. Seems counter-intuitive in so many ways. But maybe I just don't get it yet.

Oh...and thanks Andy for being my guide.

#6 Esau

Esau
  • VibeTribe
  • 261 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

I don't want to have to go search every time I open Twitter, I want to open the app/page and just see what I've showed interest in.

Use a dashboard app. (desktop or online), does exactly that.

#7 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,341 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

See, I don't understand that. If I want to follow what's happening at #govibes or #occupyboston, I don't want to have to go search every time I open Twitter, I want to open the app/page and just see what I've showed interest in.

Just part of the application.  Email Twitter and request that.  :lol:

As for the Mike Tyson thing, makes sense that it may be from you. I still think a way to see where it came from would be helpful -- so when my feed is full of crap, I know who to weed out.

I am pretty sure in very small font at the top of that retweet it will say "retweeted by Andys_candies".

Lots of things about Twitter make me feel they've got it wrong. From the help screens that reference things that have been moved or removed to ways the system operates. Seems counter-intuitive in so many ways. But maybe I just don't get it yet.

Oh...and thanks Andy for being my guide.

No worries.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

#8 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,712 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

Use a dashboard app. (desktop or online), does exactly that.

Ahh, right. I remember trying something called "TweetDeck" a long time ago. Anyway, okay, apps. Got ya.

I am pretty sure in very small font at the top of that retweet it will say "retweeted by Andys_candies".

Oh yeah, it does. 

#9 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,712 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

So I am following my local newspaper. It is interesting to see some of the stories. Better than the newspaper in some ways because I get the quick knowledge that, say, the referendum to rebuild the high-school failed -- but don't have to read the story. Question: But there are lots of stories I don't care about, like the scores of the local high school teams. Can I in any way get only the stories I want??

#10 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,712 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

My list of improvements to twitter:

* Allow me to "follow" hashtags

* Work kind of like Pandora -- when I like a story, show me more like that -- when I dislike one, shoe me fewer like that. Learn what I like, Bitch!

#11 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,341 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:09 PM

So I am following my local newspaper. It is interesting to see some of the stories. Better than the newspaper in some ways because I get the quick knowledge that, say, the referendum to rebuild the high-school failed -- but don't have to read the story. Question: But there are lots of stories I don't care about, like the scores of the local high school teams. Can I in any way get only the stories I want??

:no:  (or no)

#12 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 21,607 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

Learn what I like, Bitch!

Now you're starting to sound like CC.

Next thing you'll be blaming all Twitter's faults on TtB.   :lol:

#13 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,712 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:46 PM

Working on cultivating my own version of TtB. The hair length and bright eyes are right but something about him doesn't quite do it for me. Besides, TtB already has too many masters and mistresses for my taste.

#14 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 21,607 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

Yeah I hear ya - not really into the group domination thing either.

#15 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:07 PM

i just launched my new Twitter account, at the request of a future investor! 

https://twitter.com/BearsBacon

#16 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,240 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

:D

...but something about him doesn't quite do it for me.

a. Weiner

b. Guns
c. He's an overly sensitive pacifist

d. Mises sucks
e. all of the above
f. penis. Oh, wait...

#17 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

i just launched my new Twitter account, at the request of a future investor! 

https://twitter.com/BearsBacon

FIRST. :beer:

#18 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,341 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

Second.   :up:

#19 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,341 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

Search the term #walmartfights on Twitter.

You will be entertained and horrified.

First Fight of the day ... South Philly.   :lol:

Also here is the news story.

http://www.forbes.co...r-black-friday/

Video of Fight:

http://www.youtube.c..._adgG8Ba2Q#t=13

Twitter users could be forgiven for contesting that final descriptor. Overnight, the hashtag #WalmartFights started trending across the U.S., according to social media tracker TrendsMapUSA. Shoppers at Walmart stores in a handful of states uploaded photos as well as YouTube and Vine videos showing violence, injuries and arrests during the retailer’s first few hours of sales.

#20 Slarti

Slarti
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:29 PM

:picardfp:

:lol:

#21 Slarti

Slarti
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:31 PM

SIR!  There's a Klingon Bird of Prey - decloacking off the port bow! :eek: :lol: