Does anyone here even use Twitter?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#51 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,368 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

Protesters right now in front of Twitter HQ in SF. From a FB friend.

1385383_10100526505525778_1259101253_n.j

#52 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,368 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

Not your average protest crowd by the looks of that photo.

#53 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,264 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

They better not be singing!   :joker:

#54 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,264 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

Why are they protesting?

#55 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,437 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

I cannot see image so if it is the same sorry.

twitterprotest1.jpg

#56 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,368 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

Why are they protesting?

Everyone with a gripe of some sort is turning out to use the publicity today.

But the thing started as a protest against the city of SF giving Twitter a huge tax break to stay here instead of moving to the valley with all the other tech companies.  Pretty damn smart of SF if you ask me. But of course it's not "fair." Oh boo fucking hoo.

#57 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,437 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

Everyone with a gripe of some sort is turning out to use the publicity today.

But the thing started as a protest against the city of SF giving Twitter a huge tax break to stay here instead of moving to the valley with all the other tech companies.  Pretty damn smart of SF if you ask me. But of course it's not "fair." Oh boo fucking hoo.

Agreed.

#58 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,368 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

I'd go join in just for the hell of it but those aren't my peeps.  :lol: 

#59 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,368 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

You know how I know? It's 66 degrees today and those wimps are all dressed for winter.  :lol: 

#60 Tans

Tans
  • VibeTribe
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:18 PM

Tans, on 07 Nov 2013 - 11:09, said:snapback.png

It is also a great way to interact with other people if you are at the same event or watching the same TV show.  

Can you say more about this? 

Intuitively I get the sense that this is true. I tried to say so in the "Do we have a vibes board standard #hashtag. Why not???" thread. But I really don't know. Maybe even answer it over there. Seems to me it could really bring people together. Maybe solve some of that "I didn't see all those people I wanted to see" stuff? Or just bring even more fun & lulz??

A good example is that a few years ago I was only going to the vibes for the day.  It had rained the night before.  I fired off a tweet asking if sandals would be good on the concert field or if I should bring boots and tagged it with #gotv or #govibes.  I had a reply within minutes that sandals would be fine.

Or you could do something like "heady veggie burritos by green vibes stage $2 #govibes".

I think IASW tried to get everyone on board with (<-see what I did there  :bigsmile: ) the #GOTV hash tag but that turned out to already be in use by the "Get out The Vote" people.  #govibes seemed to work better.  #vibes, #gatheringofthevibes, they all got used at one point or another.  There are no rules about what hashtag you have to use, just whatever you decide to tag your tweet with. You can also tweet "at" someone by including their handle in your tweet. Example: "@headybrah, we will be at clean vibes tent in 10 min."  But then I guess if you already know the person why not send a text?  I know younger folks use it more as a social network than older people seem to, at least that's how I understand it.

I guess you could consider me a "passive" user and could be compared to what a lurker is on this board. I use it on mobile exclusively, mainly because it takes me 375 tries to remember my password if I try to login on the desktop.  I use the free app from twitter.  I've tried others and that one is the most simple, I've found, which I like about it.

Peace! 

#61 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,368 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:27 AM

Absolutely classic SF discussion of that protest happening on FB. This one woman who works was appalled that a twitter employee said "People will protest about anything." and she went to go join the protest after that because Twitter won't let employees of the other companies use their roof garden.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#62 Slarti

Slarti
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:29 AM

this here is my twitter :naughty: :lol: witt wooo :lol:

#63 Slarti

Slarti
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:31 AM

3 words.  I . am . gay :lol:

#64 Tans

Tans
  • VibeTribe
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:45 AM

lol

#65 Slarti

Slarti
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:25 AM

using twitter would be dupid :lol:

#66 Slarti

Slarti
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:39 AM

google barges :lol: floating in international wa ters :lol:

#67 Slarti

Slarti
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:40 AM

:naughty: :lol:

#68 Slarti

Slarti
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:43 AM

solar power won't be enough, they might have to harness the power of the waves

#69 Slarti

Slarti
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:48 AM

it wasn't a rock :lol:

#70 Tans

Tans
  • VibeTribe
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:02 AM

Rock n' Roll will never die!

#71 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,368 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:25 AM

3 words.  I . am . gay :lol:

I always knew that. :grin:

#72 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,611 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:51 AM

Tans, on 07 Nov 2013 - 11:09, said:snapback.png

A good example is that a few years ago I was only going to the vibes for the day.  It had rained the night before.  I fired off a tweet asking if sandals would be good on the concert field or if I should bring boots and tagged it with #gotv or #govibes.  I had a reply within minutes that sandals would be fine.

Or you could do something like "heady veggie burritos by green vibes stage $2 #govibes".

I think IASW tried to get everyone on board with (<-see what I did there  :bigsmile: ) the #GOTV hash tag but that turned out to already be in use by the "Get out The Vote" people.  #govibes seemed to work better.  #vibes, #gatheringofthevibes, they all got used at one point or another.  There are no rules about what hashtag you have to use, just whatever you decide to tag your tweet with. You can also tweet "at" someone by including their handle in your tweet. Example: "@headybrah, we will be at clean vibes tent in 10 min."  But then I guess if you already know the person why not send a text?  I know younger folks use it more as a social network than older people seem to, at least that's how I understand it.

I guess you could consider me a "passive" user and could be compared to what a lurker is on this board. I use it on mobile exclusively, mainly because it takes me 375 tries to remember my password if I try to login on the desktop.  I use the free app from twitter.  I've tried others and that one is the most simple, I've found, which I like about it.

Peace! 

Makes sense. I'm thinking that those that don't see the value of twitter don't understand it. Which is where I was 2 days ago -- but why I asked. Still there, but starting to get how it might be useful even to non news & celebrity junkies. 

#govibes makes the most sense to me as a Vibes hashtag. It's short yet not likely to be used too many other things. 

If you wanted only to sent to headybrah then a text is better. But I get that twitter is like a group conversation -- so if I tweet "VibeTribe, field is a mess where your boot #govibes" I might also add an "@headybrah" so my buddy sees this in his mentions list in case he misses it in the regular feed. Yeah?

Realizing that the idea that Twitter is like Facebook is wrong. Facebook only has your friends. Twitter is anyone. So asking "Do I need boots for concertfield #govibes" gets you replies from a larger group, not just your friends. Probably not needed for all of us that have a 100 Vibes-Going friends, but maybe useful if were were going to some other fest where we didn't know many/anyone.

Seems retweets make it useful too. I followed Anders Osborne on twitter. He (his people I'm sure) posted about the Brooklyn Bowl shows. I happened to have known about them anyway, but another time I won't. I retweeted. If friends were following me -- they might learn of a concert the like and/or what I'm into. ~ Similar to Facebook -- but different enough -- kind of more efficient -- fewer baby pictures, political articles, stupid memes...Yeah?

#73 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,611 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:54 AM

I am still confused on hash-tags. If I want to see tweets

that use #govibes, do I have to go and actually SEARCH

for that? Every time? Or can I "follow" #govibes to that any

posts with that hashtag show up in my feed?

If I have to search it out everytime, seems less useful.

#74 Esau

Esau
  • VibeTribe
  • 258 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

If you're using the standard twitter client on your phone, or the twitter website on desktop you have to search the tag each time. If I use the standard webpage I save my searches so they are easy to find with no effort. Otherwise you have to search each time or use a dashboard

On my desktop I usually use a social media dashboard. This allows you to have multiple (or a single) hashtags saved, displayed, and running on one or more pages at once. Screenshot example of mine: http://oi43.tinypic.com/30wxzxx.jpg  (facebook can be added to it as well - news feed, timeline etc)

I currently use hootsuite and in the past have used Tweetdeck. I switched & prefer hootsuite because using an online version allows me to have it in a page tab, instead of a desktop application (Tweetdeck) running in my taskbar. You can search for alternatives to either to find a variety of other dashboards as well.

http://hootsuite.com

http://tweetdeck.com/

#75 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,611 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

If you're using the standard twitter client on your phone, or the twitter website on desktop you have to search the tag each time. If I use the standard webpage I save my searches so they are easy to find with no effort. Otherwise you have to search each time or use a dashboard

On my desktop I usually use a social media dashboard. This allows you to have multiple (or a single) hashtags saved, displayed, and running on one or more pages at once. Screenshot example of mine: http://oi43.tinypic.com/30wxzxx.jpg  (facebook can be added to it as well - news feed, timeline etc)

I currently use hootsuite and in the past have used Tweetdeck. I switched & prefer hootsuite because using an online version allows me to have it in a page tab, instead of a desktop application (Tweetdeck) running in my taskbar. You can search for alternatives to either to find a variety of other dashboards as well.

http://hootsuite.com

http://tweetdeck.com/

Thanks.

Yeah, now I recall trying out tweetdeck back when I first played with twitter a little. I think that may be the answer. Didn't know about hoorsuite, will check that out too.

#76 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

As powerful and valuable as Twitter can be, there is a huge downside in my opinion. People now are in such a rush to report that too often, facts aren't checked for verified and false information is spread. Rather quickly. There really is virtue in patience and Twitter only adds to the instant gratification that society demands. The direction we're going in, where it seems everything needs to be done/answered/resolved right now is not a good thing. 

#77 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,437 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

As powerful and valuable as Twitter can be, there is a huge downside in my opinion. People now are in such a rush to report that too often, facts aren't checked for verified and false information is spread. Rather quickly. There really is virtue in patience and Twitter only adds to the instant gratification that society demands. The direction we're going in, where it seems everything needs to be done/answered/resolved right now is not a good thing. 

This is true about TV news also.  

#78 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,611 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

I concur. I only took an interest in Twitter because of it's IPO and because I don't like to just assume something is bad/useless just because I don't get it

But I don't even like reading the newspaper anymore. It's mostly a waste of time. There is too much "news" and not enough, not nearly enough, though and longer term thinking going into what's happening in the world today..

#79 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,368 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

TWO FOUR SIX EIGHT. DOWN WITH TWITTER, ASPHYXIATE.

:usuck:

#80 Esau

Esau
  • VibeTribe
  • 258 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

That may be true, but I'd say it's a downside of the internet, and portable techs more than something designed for it. A good example is live music recordings, now-a-days you see people clamoring for the recording only an hour after the show finished.

#81 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,368 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

#82 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,368 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

OCCUPY TWITTER!!! 

:violen1:

#83 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,368 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

The revolution has targeted Twitter.

tweet_the_revolution_twitter_style_che_b

#84 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,368 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:26 PM

We want you! To Tweet! :lol:

uncle-sam-we-want-you.jpg

#85 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,368 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

And my absolute favorite from an analyst this morning who initiated TWTR with a SELL rating with the headline "Flip The Bird." http://www.businessi...-rating-2013-11

#86 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,611 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:10 AM

Hey. Julius. I'm done with you. 
Until we hang out in person. 
Until then. Fuck off!

#87 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:14 AM

This is true about TV news also.  

I agree completely. Cable news has ruined journalism as we used to know it, in my opinion. 

I concur. I only took an interest in Twitter because of it's IPO and because I don't like to just assume something is bad/useless just because I don't get it

But I don't even like reading the newspaper anymore. It's mostly a waste of time. There is too much "news" and not enough, not nearly enough, though and longer term thinking going into what's happening in the world today..

Too much news in a newspaper? The gall! :tongue1: ............. I get what you're saying.

That may be true, but I'd say it's a downside of the internet, and portable techs more than something designed for it. A good example is live music recordings, now-a-days you see people clamoring for the recording only an hour after the show finished.

So very true. It's definitely not just computers or Twitter that contributes. I'm definitely not anti-technology. There's plenty of good stuff to come of it, but I've just noticed over the years that more and more people have far less patience. A lot of people don't want to wait for anything these days. I often wonder how kids today would handle getting a busy signal on the telephone, or actually waiting for the TV to warm up for a minute or two after flipping it on. And OMG what if you actually had to heat your leftovers on the stove and not a microwave? You'd have to OMG wait for it to warm the pan! 

#88 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,264 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

Now here's an interesting use for Twitter.   :rolling:

http://happyplace.so...errible-mistake

#89 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

I'll agree with a few people above and say I use it as "Headline News".  It gives you an idea of what "could" be happening in the world and then you usually click on the link to see what they're talking about.

I remember texting my buddy, "Twitter is reporting, Bomb blasts at the Boston Marathon".  He knows that at that point its an unconfirmed rumor, but to start refreshing CNN and turn on the tv. 

Usually Twitter beats the news by a good 15 minutes.

#90 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:24 PM

Speaking of Vibes, I tweeted a photo of Janes Addiction at Dave Navarro the next morning.  He commented on it and I got 500 hits in the first hour and over 2,000 that day.

5969867259_19651658ff_z.jpg

#91 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:26 PM

I concur. I only took an interest in Twitter because of it's IPO and because I don't like to just assume something is bad/useless just because I don't get it.

I've been wondering about the IPO as well.  There's been a huge discussion whether its future lies as a Media company or a Tech company or whether that's an outdated 20th century label....

I'd actually be interested in Julius's thoughts on the matter.