Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

Primary sources. Valuable.

#3 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:39 AM

And for those that aren't traders, journalists, or obsessed with Miley Cyrus?

#4 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,926 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

Why not?

Why?

#5 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,926 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

Tweaking is fun ;)

#6 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

And for those that aren't traders, journalists, or obsessed with Miley Cyrus?

I use it to stay up to date on all things Miley

#7 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

twerk it!

#8 Speckta

Speckta
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,167 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

I'm on the twitty bird.

#9 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,876 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

I don't get it either, Jab. :dunno:

I don't really care what other people are doing 24 hours a day, and I don't really want them caring what I do, either. 

#10 namaste

namaste
  • VibeTribe
  • 495 posts
  • Locationpine plains, ny

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

no

#11 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,314 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:21 PM

If you do not get twitter you may be doing it wrong.  Or not.

I use twitter and absolutely love it.  it wastes time and provides good information about what is happening locally as well as globally.  Or as my info states on my titter page Andy_candies.  I am an over consumer of useless information.

Who I follow or the types of people I follow.  

Sports, news, Phish/dead releated bloggers, some local food trucks, local bloggers who provide information about what is going on in my area.

I follow a total of about 200 people.  There are some people who follow thousands.  This I do not understand, how can you filter through that much useless information.  I have 45 followers, in comparison my wife who has the cupcake business has 11,200+ followers 'buttercreamphl'.

I just loaded twitter and these are the sources of some tweets in my scroll (without repeats)

Philly Magazine

The Food Trust

Local Sports guy

Philly.com

Food Truck

Philly Beer Week

Helium Comedy Club

TMZ

Quest Love

A local store owner and Phish Fan (who went to 22 shows this year).

Diff Local Sports guy

Dogfish Brewery

Philly Parks and Recreations

Neighborhood blog site (brewerytown living)

Neighborhood blog site (Pennsporter (my neighborhood)

BBC news

I follow probably 5-10 actual people who have no ties to anything else.  I to do not care what others are doing.  Also, if someone tweets to much and clogs up my scroll, I unfollow them.  An example, I saw a retweet from heard a local rapper.  I liked his demo and started following him.  3 hours later I saw way too many of his tweets in my news scroll, unfollow.

#12 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

I'm on the twitty bird.

^ Journalist. I get that.

#13 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 21,576 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

Twitter sounds like Facebook's evil twin.

Different, but the same.

What does "hashtag" mean?

#14 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,314 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

Twitter sounds like Facebook's evil twin.

Different, but the same.

What does "hashtag" mean?

This is hysterical as Kate's mom asked her the same question yesterday.

By adding a hashtag # to the begining of a string of characters, twitter will then search other users who have "tagged" their tweets with the exact string of characters.  

For example:  #phishNYE

This would return all tweets that have #phishNYE this included in other tweets.

#15 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 21,576 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

So hashtag is just the hash sign.

Sounds like on Twitter you get tons of useless information and spend a lot of time weeding through the crap to find what is really useful.   

Even more so than fb.

#16 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

Let me see if I have this right:

#Hashtag:

* Anyone can type any hashtag they way into any message they post to twitter. 

* Hashtags do not have to be predefined. That is, I could make one up right now #DontUnderstandTwitter
* There are likely to be multiple hashtags refering to the same thing.  #Vibes  #GatheringOfTheVibes  #TheVibes  #GOTV
* Something generic like #vibes -- will be used for many things besides "our" vibes, so probably is not a good (useful) hashtag
* Of the others, typically one will become the "standard" based just on what most people use. So #GOTV might become the de facto standard.
* Facebook (and other?) services have adopted the same pound-sign / hashtag functionality.
* One can then search for (or follow??) a particular hashtag. Meaning they receive any message with that tag into their twitter "feed" (list)

@User
* Each person on twitter creates a user name when they register. 
* Usernames are (of course) unique. There is only one "jabadoodle" on Twitter.
* You can follow a user. -- meaning their tweets show in your twitter feed.

* You can put and "@jabadoodle" in your message to force it into my feed.

* You can change your username -- but only to a name that is not already taken.

What am I missing / wrong on?

#17 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

Questions:
* I'm sure there in an official twitter smart phone app?

* There are probably other 3rd party Twitter smart phone apps?
* Can I set it up to notify me of some hashtags, but for others they are just in my feed when I go look for them?

Example: I want a notification for anything by #LocalDisaster but only want #VibesNews when I go look at my feed.

#18 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,314 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

Let me see if I have this right:

#Hashtag:

* Anyone can type any hashtag they way into any message they post to twitter. 

* Hashtags do not have to be predefined. That is, I could make one up right now #DontUnderstandTwitter
* There are likely to be multiple hashtags refering to the same thing.  #Vibes  #GatheringOfTheVibes  #TheVibes  #GOTV
* Something generic like #vibes -- will be used for many things besides "our" vibes, so probably is not a good (useful) hashtag
* Of the others, typically one will become the "standard" based just on what most people use. So #GOTV might become the de facto standard.
* Facebook (and other?) services have adopted the same pound-sign / hashtag functionality.
* One can then search for (or follow??) a particular hashtag. Meaning they receive any message with that tag into their twitter "feed" (list)

@User
* Each person on twitter creates a user name when they register. 
* Usernames are (of course) unique. There is only one "jabadoodle" on Twitter.
* You can follow a user. -- meaning their tweets show in your twitter feed.

* You can change your username -- but only to a name that is not already taken.

What am I missing / wrong on?

You were right on everything except the last two on each.

* Facebook (and other?) services have adopted the same pound-sign / hashtag functionality..

I do not think Facebook as implmented this, yet, and I am not sure cause I barely use facebook.  

It does not load into their news feed, but a seperate search feed/scroll.  You click the home button and it brings you back to your news feed.

If I tweet "blah blah @jabadoodle blah blah" you would just get an alert that someone tweeted with your username included.  You can either response, ignore, or retweet.

* You can change your username -- but only to a name that is not already taken.

I do not think you can change your username, but you can change the display name.  So @jabadoodle is screenname and say for example, Most awesome person ever shows up as your username.

There is also something called "trending"
You click on this and you can see the top ten words being tweeted in your area.

For example my current trends has the following:
#votecodysimpson
Boston
Walmart
#gieaway
Christmas
#tcot
#Obamacare
#Humpday
New York

#19 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

I'm trying to think how Twitter might be useful to me. Like if I was at a fest and wanted to tweet what stage/music I was headed to. Kind of a broadcast of -- if you want to find me, this is where I'll be. < As a way to see more of the people I want to see.

Or, the other night I was at a show and so was my friend...but neither of us knew it. Had she been following me and had I tweeted...we'd have met up. Then again, had I posted on Facebook...

Maybe follow Vibes or whatever when I'm at a fest to get "breaking" information/news?

What else...

#20 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,314 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:55 PM

Questions:
* I'm sure there in an official twitter smart phone app?

* There are probably other 3rd party Twitter smart phone apps?
* Can I set it up to notify me of some hashtags, but for others they are just in my feed when I go look for them?

Example: I want a notification for anything by #LocalDisaster but only want #VibesNews when I go look at my feed.

Yes (this is one of 4 apps I have on my phone, email being the others).

There are, but those are more for loading pictures to twitter.  I think 3rd party apps used to exist, and not many anymore  But not sure.

I think you can get email alerts for some hashtags, but I do not think it would embed in your news feed.

#21 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,314 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

I'm trying to think how Twitter might be useful to me. Like if I was at a fest and wanted to tweet what stage/music I was headed to. Kind of a broadcast of -- if you want to find me, this is where I'll be. < As a way to see more of the people I want to see.

Or, the other night I was at a show and so was my friend...but neither of us knew it. Had she been following me and had I tweeted...we'd have met up. Then again, had I posted on Facebook....

No because only people who follow you would know, unless say the Vibes retweeted your tweet, then every body following the vibes would see where you were going.

Maybe follow Vibes or whatever when I'm at a fest to get "breaking" information/news?

What else...

yes.

Twitter would be useful to you by following things that interest you.

#22 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:58 PM

You were right on everything except the last two on each.

:

:

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure you can change user name. Just looked it up. Login > Settings (sprocket-icon) > Settings > User Name.
You can also change your name -- using edit profile.
Right now my name is "Gary Warner" and my username is "jabadoodle". I can change either.

#23 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:03 PM

No because only people who follow you would know, unless say the Vibes retweeted your tweet, then every body following the vibes would see where you were going.

Yeah, that's what I mean...people could follow me!

Retweeting is like forwarding a message?
Can it be automatic -- like Vibes is setup to retweet anything I tweet -- or is it always "by hand"

#24 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,314 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

Yeah, that's what I mean...people could follow me!

Retweeting is like forwarding a message?
Can it be automatic -- like Vibes is setup to retweet anything I tweet -- or is it always "by hand"

Always by hand.

Personally I do not tweet very often.  Probably like 3 or 4 a year.  But I will retweet funny stuff I come across.

#25 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,314 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

The only person from here whom I follow is IASW.  And I just started following you.

#26 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,701 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

I used to for TMMS but abandoned it. It can be most annoying.

#27 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

You can also tweet pictures, right?

And what is a vine? It's a short video on Twitter?

#28 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,314 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

You can also tweet pictures, right?

And what is a vine? It's a short video on Twitter?

You can post pictures. 

Vine is same as Instagram, but fior videos of x length.  Think 15 seconds.

#29 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

I don't use Twitter personally, but professionally it's extremely valuable. And the value of it didn't strike me until earlier this year. I wrote an article for my lacrosse website and the Twitter feed for that site has about 3,500 followers. So I Tweeted the link, which gives 3,500 people a direct link to that article. The parent company of my site has about 45,000 followers and it re-tweeted my tweet, putting that link in about 45,000 inboxes.

So even if half, or a quarter, of those people click on the link, it adds that many more readers to the mix in addition to the regular readers of the site. So as much as I really don't embrace technology, I can understand the power and advantage of it. 

#30 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

I don't use Twitter personally, but professionally it's extremely valuable. And the value of it didn't strike me until earlier this year. I wrote an article for my lacrosse website and the Twitter feed for that site has about 3,500 followers. So I Tweeted the link, which gives 3,500 people a direct link to that article. The parent company of my site has about 45,000 followers and it re-tweeted my tweet, putting that link in about 45,000 inboxes.

So even if half, or a quarter, of those people click on the link, it adds that many more readers to the mix in addition to the regular readers of the site. So as much as I really don't embrace technology, I can understand the power and advantage of it. 

Yeah, I'm getting the idea that twitter is great for mass communication. For organizations big and small. For people that are "personalities" even if only local ones. But not so useful for individuals. 

#31 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,701 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

Interesting perspective Bob. I might have to reassess. It's really all about the niche.

#32 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,314 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

Interesting perspective Bob. I might have to reassess. It's really all about the niche.

Twitter is for what you are into.  You should follow some gastro peeps.

The one I follow is not for her food prowess, but her looks.  I follow Gail Simmons.

#33 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,701 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

Twitter is for what you are into. You should follow some gastro peeps.

The one I follow is not for her food prowess, but her looks. I follow Gail Simmons.

I would so eat an amuse bouche out of that ass.

#34 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

I mostly follow sports stuff, comedians, bloggers, local news, tech news, whatever I have an interest in.  and it cycles.  during Fantasy Football season I have several pages that tweet player news very regularly, but I cannot stomach all of their stuff in the off season.

my brother and some friends are on there too, and it's another medium to share news or whatever.

@GiggsRightFoot

#35 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,731 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

never used twitter.

#36 Esau

Esau
  • VibeTribe
  • 261 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

I use it mainly for following political & news related topics and related personalities like journalists, politicians (professional accounts, not personal). I do follow some musicians directly, but prefer 'band' accounts as they tend to deliver the information I'm actually interested in like tour dates, line-up changes, ticket info etc. Same goes for anything sports related, team accounts instead of players. Handy for local info too, things like bar shows, road closures, construction areas, city events or things I might otherwise not hear or know about until after the fact. I have a few friends on there and random personalities but if they are the type of folk who post their daily routine I usually stop following.

For the most part, twitter is my replacement for google reader or setting up RSS feeds.

#37 williscat2000

williscat2000
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,480 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

good for online conversations about tv shows while they are happening

#38 Tans

Tans
  • VibeTribe
  • 249 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

For the most part, twitter is my replacement for google reader or setting up RSS feeds.

Very true.  Twitter is the first thing I look at in the morning.  I compare it to my "morning paper".  I follow accounts that interest me so I am able to quickly scroll and click on anything I want to read more about.

During breaking news stories it absolutely can't be beat for up to the minute information. It is also a great way to interact with other people if you are at the same event or watching the same TV show.  Plus, you get a personal line to any number of people you might want.

Our Mayor and local Patch site are very active on Twitter and it's proven to be a great way to ask questions and exchange good information during local emergencies.  I am a landscape contractor that needs to respond to weather emergencies and it is a great way to find out about road closures, power outages and all that type of stuff.  There is even a local meteorologist that tweets during snow storms which is invaluable for me when it comes time to salt roadways and develop a plan to deal with each storm.  

I rarely tweet myself and only personally know a handful of people that either follow me or I follow.  It's not a social thing for me, just a way to get good info/news.  I love twitter and typically get flack from people about it because they don't understand how it works.  It's actually very simple, which is the great thing about it.

Peace!  

#39 Misha

Misha

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

I have a twitter account but still don't know how to use it--I get confused whether it's a text/phone thing or a computer/e-mail thing. This thread is very helpful and I will read it thoroughly later!

#40 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

It is also a great way to interact with other people if you are at the same event or watching the same TV show.  

Can you say more about this? 

Intuitively I get the sense that this is true. I tried to say so in the "Do we have a vibes board standard #hashtag. Why not???" thread. But I really don't know. Maybe even answer it over there. Seems to me it could really bring people together. Maybe solve some of that "I didn't see all those people I wanted to see" stuff? Or just bring even more fun & lulz??

#41 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

Misha, I just love your avatar. So freaking cute.

#42 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,314 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

Can you say more about this? 

Intuitively I get the sense that this is true. I tried to say so in the "Do we have a vibes board standard #hashtag. Why not???" thread. But I really don't know. Maybe even answer it over there. Seems to me it could really bring people together. Maybe solve some of that "I didn't see all those people I wanted to see" stuff? Or just bring even more fun & lulz??

I will add a little to this.

For example I was watching American Horror Story: The Coven last night.  The show is creepy and many shocking things happen.

Last night they were in a hospital and it was super creepy, the lights were flickering, and people were wandering around like they were zombies.

So I go to Twitter typed in #coven to see what others are saying about some of these scenes.

I find some funny tweets like the following:

What kind of rachet hospital are they in?

or

Is this hospital run by Obamacare?

Another example of the same show:

Can I change my major to Supreme of the Coven?  

or

Dont you hate when your daughter you tortured comes back to kill you as a zombie?

#43 Esau

Esau
  • VibeTribe
  • 261 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

Very true.  Twitter is the first thing I look at in the morning.  I compare it to my "morning paper".  I follow accounts that interest me so I am able to quickly scroll and click on anything I want to read more about.

During breaking news stories it absolutely can't be beat for up to the minute information. It is also a great way to interact with other people if you are at the same event or watching the same TV show.  Plus, you get a personal line to any number of people you might want.

I'm the same. My main source for my news now-a-days, my local paper stepped up early and embraced social media to some degree. I no longer get a paper delivered, instead transferred my payment for the premium digital service. I still get two others delivered but I found many times I was reading news from them online via twitter a day before it hit the next paper issue. I particularly like the quick access you can get to your local reps - at least the active ones - My local member of Parliament (MP) is accessible and often engaging. I've seen him ask questions of the governing party in the House of Commons that we're asked of him by people in his riding minutes before via twitter. In real time. Cool to know access to our Prime Minister can sometimes be accomplished that way.

It took me quite awhile before I figured out how it all worked and I how I wanted to make use of it though. I'm not a mobile user either, my cell doesn't have internet unless connected via wifi - which isn't common -  So I only use twitter at home. I'm not one of the walking dead.

#44 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,561 posts
  • LocationA peaceful place, or so it looks from space

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

I tried to like Twitter....I really did. But all I see is celebrities re-tweeting others who adore them and people advertising their gimmicks.

Twitter is not my friend

#45 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,793 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

I'm the same. My main source for my news now-a-days, my local paper stepped up early and embraced social media to some degree. I no longer get a paper delivered, instead transferred my payment for the premium digital service. I still get two others delivered but I found many times I was reading news from them online via twitter a day before it hit the next paper issue. I particularly like the quick access you can get to your local reps - at least the active ones - My local member of Parliament (MP) is accessible and often engaging. I've seen him ask questions of the governing party in the House of Commons that we're asked of him by people in his riding minutes before via twitter. In real time. Cool to know access to our Prime Minister can sometimes be accomplished that way.

It took me quite awhile before I figured out how it all worked and I how I wanted to make use of it though. I'm not a mobile user either, my cell doesn't have internet unless connected via wifi - which isn't common -  So I only use twitter at home. I'm not one of the walking dead.

Jaba, this is the key point you are missing.

This is primary source journalism at its purest. That's quite a value proposition if you think about it. 

#46 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

Jaba, this is the key point you are missing.

This is primary source journalism at its purest. That's quite a value proposition if you think about it. 

I'm not missing it. As I said in to you in post #3, "And for those that aren't traders, journalists, or obsessed with Miley Cyrus?"

I get that it's hugely valuable for those concerned about breaking news or primary sources. I have very little use or care for that. I find reacting to immediate "news" totally antithetical to my nature and to really doing what needs to be done. As for primary sources, of course they are critically important -- there would be no validity without them. But I, personally, do not need to access them. 

Pearce, I totally get the value. I'm glad and grateful for people like you that can and do use it that way; and keep the secondary sources in check. ~ Now I'm trying to figure out if there is any reason I want to use it. 

;)

#47 Esau

Esau
  • VibeTribe
  • 261 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

I tried to like Twitter....I really did. But all I see is celebrities re-tweeting others who adore them and people advertising their gimmicks.

Twitter is not my friend

I can understand that, but you control the content you see though. I rarely see massive spam fests or ads anymore. Occasionally something comes along, but if it's really overkill or remains for a day I unfollow the source. I'm not really interested in discussing TV shows, celebrities day to day, or the fans that love them, so I don't follow them. Although if you are interested in those things I can see how it would be annoying. But that can be avoided by not following them and instead using a hashtag when you do feel like catching up on those topics. 

One advantage I see, over say Facebook (for example), is if you're someone who is looking to be very social regarding certain topics (politics/music/TV/celebs etc) you can have access to a much larger & diverse audience to engage with easier and quicker opposed to creating or joining a group with limited members. 

Anyway, not trying to convince you or anyone to use it. Just seems a lot of complaints I hear or read about it can be easily avoided. Sort of the same way FB was at first.

#48 Count P-Funk

Count P-Funk
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

twitter is the only social media network I use and I use it constantly to the point that I don't know what I did without it. 

#49 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,314 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

I found use for the twitter @andys_candies tag.  :lol:

#50 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,793 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:16 PM