Just returned from the vet...

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

My 16 year old cat, Precious, hasn't been eating, is drinking a lot of water, and is losing weight.  I can see it in her eyes.  She looks distant, hard to really explain, but it is not good.  It hurts me to see her like this.  She doesn't seem to be in pain, but something is not right.

She is such a great cat, the best I've ever had.  So gentle and affectionate, playful, intelligent, and always demanding attention.  I can remember when I got her at the Humane Society back in 1997.  I picked her out of a litter of 8 week old kittens because she put her face up to the front of the cage, gently grabbed my finger with her paw and started licking it.

This morning, I took her to the vet to get blood work done, put some fluids in her and get a professional diagnosis.  Precious is very vocal and usually howls the whole way to the vet, but  not today, she was pretty much silent the whole time.  Another sign, something is amiss.

The vet gave her a thorough check up.  She took blood for the lab, and did a blood glucose spot check, which was a little high (220) but not too bad.  The urine analysis revealed some white blood cells which could be an urinary tract infection.  The vet gave Precious some fluids with Vitamin B under her skin and some antibiotics, and asked me to bring her back tomorrow to review the lab results.

The thought of having to put her down is tearing me up inside.  I know I need to wait and see what the lab results are, but I can't help thinking the worse.  Looks like another sleepless night... 

#2 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:57 PM

:heart:

#3 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

<3

#4 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,164 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

(((holysmokes & Precious)))

#5 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,072 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

#6 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:14 AM

precious1.png

precious2.png

precious3.png

In loving memory of Precious.

#7 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:52 AM

i'm so sorry.     her spirit will remain.     :heart: :heart:

#8 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

Thank you Nancykind!   Indeed it will!!

And thank you MeOmYo, Feck, TEO, and Karen!  Your heart felt vibes are very much appreciated!!

The blood results revealed she was suffering from acute renal failure.  She went downhill really fast.  Yesterday morning she repeatedly would go to her water bowl, put her head down toward the water like she was going to take a drink and then stop.  It was like some invisible force was preventing her from taking a drink.  She would eventually just lay down by her water bowl, head hanging over the water and drift off.  Her neck and chest would get all wet as she slowly began to slouch into the bowl.  Not fun, let me tell you.  I am just relieved it is over and she is no longer suffering.  I can deal with the tears that come from missing her, but seeing her like that was too much to bear. 

#9 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,164 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

#10 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,072 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:13 PM

Yesterday morning she repeatedly would go to her water bowl, put her head down toward the water like she was going to take a drink and then stop.  It was like some invisible force was preventing her from taking a drink.  She would eventually just lay down by her water bowl, head hanging over the water and drift off.  Her neck and chest would get all wet as she slowly began to slouch into the bowl.  Not fun, let me tell you.  I am just relieved it is over and she is no longer suffering.  I can deal with the tears that come from missing her, but seeing her like that was too much to bear. 

This exact thing happened with our sweet Sage back in January.  It is so hard.  May you take solace in being able to relieve her pain as she could not do it for herself. 

Much love and comfort coming your way during this difficult time.    RIP sweet kitteh.   <3

#11 pixiebug

pixiebug
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

#12 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

Karen, I am sorry to hear about your loss with Sage earlier this year.  Thank you for the kind words and sentiments, they are comforting.

Pixiebug, thank you for the heart felt vibes!    

#13 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

so very sorry for your loss... I had to put our older cat down with acute renal failure 9 years ago...it is always hard to make that decision but you did the right thing to alleviate her suffering. :heart:

#14 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,378 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:20 AM

You did right by her for 16 great years.

So hard to say goodbye, yet we know that's what are furry friends want from us when it's time for their next journey.  

#15 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

Thank you TEO for your heart felt vibes, sorry I missed your second post.

Thank you vinandtonic, and sorry for your loss.

Thank you deadheadskier.  Precious and I did have a good run together.

It is getting easier with each passing hour.  Reminds me of the Beatles, "It is getting better all the time."  Now, I can sometimes push back the tears when I think of her, where as before forget it, it was uncontrollable. 

I am starting to focus more on the good times we had together, instead of the sadness of saying goodbye.  Earlier this morning, I was remembering how we use to play together in the hallway when I was practicing my putting.  She would lie in wait behind the dining room wall and when the golf ball would roll by her she would jump out and pounce on it.  Good times!

The heart felt vibes and kind words have been a tremendous help.  Thank you so much everyone.  I really appreciate all of your support!

#16 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:45 AM

i'm glas to hear that.   i used to have to come up with a happy memory at night every night after i lost Tigger.  i was just heartbroken.    having to remember a new one each night really brought back some smiles and was really healing.    

#17 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:07 PM

Aw Tigger :heart:

#18 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

sorry guy, but no doubt you did the good deed.  this is a good time to add to that ultimate random playlist!

#19 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

Thanks Hoagie!  I continue to work on it every day.  I even started another parallel project for live GD songs.  The rule for the GD list is there can be no repeat songs or dates.

#20 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,774 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:32 AM

I am starting to focus more on the good times we had together, instead of the sadness of saying goodbye.  Earlier this morning, I was remembering how we use to play together in the hallway when I was practicing my putting.  She would lie in wait behind the dining room wall and when the golf ball would roll by her she would jump out and pounce on it.  Good times!

reading this made me think of my marley

i would make a mouth-sized ball of aluminum foil or use a dumdum lollipop and whip it down the stairs and marley would jump up and chase it and retrieve it and drop it next to me like "DO IT AGAIN!" :D

i love 'sportin kitties' :lol:

rip marley and precious, you were very loved :heart:

so sorry to read this thread :sad:

i am sorry for your loss :heart:

#21 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,831 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

(((holysmokes)))

My sis watched one of her kitties almost starve to death a few months ago, before she finally figured out what was wrong and took him in. She got 15 blessed years with him, and you got 16 with your Precious. I'm sure you gave your sweet kitty a wonderful life, and she was happy to be a part of yours. <3

#22 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

reading this made me think of my marley

i would make a mouth-sized ball of aluminum foil or use a dumdum lollipop and whip it down the stairs and marley would jump up and chase it and retrieve it and drop it next to me like "DO IT AGAIN!" :D

i love 'sportin kitties' :lol:

rip marley and precious, you were very loved :heart:

so sorry to read this thread :sad:

i am sorry for your loss :heart:

Thanks for the heart felt vibes Dee, and sharing your memory of :heart: Marley :heart:

Did Marley ever chase his own tail?  I remember Precious would sometimes.  All of the sudden, like a switch was flipped, she would get in this energetic state (saucer eyes) and run around the house, then jump up on the recliner and go in circles chasing after her own tail.

So many memories... I miss her.

(((holysmokes)))

My sis watched one of her kitties almost starve to death a few months ago, before she finally figured out what was wrong and took him in. She got 15 blessed years with him, and you got 16 with your Precious. I'm sure you gave your sweet kitty a wonderful life, and she was happy to be a part of yours. <3

Thank you Laura for the hugs and heart felt vibes.  Precious was an amazing kitty.  I miss her dearly. 

I am sorry to hear about your sister's experience and loss.  Please extend my condolences to her.

I feel good about the time and life Precious and I had together.  No regrets there. 

#23 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,774 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for the heart felt vibes Dee, and sharing your memory of :heart: Marley :heart:

Did Marley ever chase his own tail?  I remember Precious would sometimes.  All of the sudden, like a switch was flipped, she would get in this energetic state (saucer eyes) and run around the house, then jump up on the recliner and go in circles chasing after her own tail.

So many memories... I miss her.

sometimes

he was a special needs kitty so he was always a bit off :funny1:

he was almost dead from worms/fleas/dehydration/starvation when i found him as a days-old kitten

vet said he wouldnt live but he did - for 10 years with a heart murmur and a permanently-kittenish playfulness

he was my shadow and would look at me like i was the center of his universe

he couldnt get close enough to me...not a lap cat, but a snuggler, for sure

wish i had a pic to post...

my stella, a maine coon i had in the late 80s and 90s was the tail-chaser :lol:

she had that 'switch' too

she would go NUTS and flip in midair and chase her tail till she flopped on the floor panting 

my friends were sure i was giving her catnip or something

i got marley when she was an old lady and i have one pic of them together that i will always treasure :heart:

i like to think they are playing together now

i miss them both but marley was my soul mate and i dont think i will ever get over his loss :cry:

i mean, it gets easier for sure but when i think about him i miss him soooo much and the special bond we had

i feel like you understand as precious sounded like she was that to you

i try to take delight in my memories and not sadness but sometimes (like right now) i shed tears as the part of my heart that was his, aches to play with him again

sorry

its not about me

it just made me think, is all

i send you :heart: and encourage you to remember her every day 

she was a beauty :smile:

#24 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

Thank you Dee.  I appreciate you sharing the above with me.  Sounds like we both shed some tears this morning thinking about our kitties.

At first, it felt odd hearing you say Marley was your soul mate, and for me to think of Precious that way.  I always imagined my soul mate being a human female.  My broken heart and the void she has left in me makes me feel otherwise.

This morning, I got around to checking my voice mail and there was a message from the vet.  I assume they were calling to let me know they have Precious' ashes and I can come pick them up.  I am going to give them a call now and see if that is what they were calling about.  If so, I will get that awkward situation over with today.

Thanks again for the support!