• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,302 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

Are there some elements that react with all or almost all other elements ... and other elements that react with no other or almost no other elements? I'm only looking for a metaphor, so the exact chemistry doesn't matter...but Ideally I'd like one element that reacts with most things (but not all) and another that reacts with very few things (but some). Kind of the slut and prude of elements ;)

#2 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,943 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

Wouldnt carbon be the slut element it's in everything.

#3 direwook

direwook
  • VibeTribe
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:07 PM

Sodium is very reactive, while all the 'noble' gases are notoriously antisocial

#4 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

Not a chemist, but I'd go with O bein' a hussy and Au bein' a prude.

#5 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

Not a reaction, but if you want to get in Au's pants, HNO3 will turn turn her into a puddle, if I recall correctly.

#6 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

Plus you have the irony of Au bein' used for centuries to try to turn prudes into hussies. :mrgreen:

#7 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,536 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:44 PM

Are there some elements that react with all or almost all other elements ... and other elements that react with no other or almost no other elements? I'm only looking for a metaphor, so the exact chemistry doesn't matter...but Ideally I'd like one element that reacts with most things (but not all) and another that reacts with very few things (but some). Kind of the slut and prude of elements ;)

All of the elements on the far right of the periodic table don't react because their electron shells are completely full. They are noble gases and they are the most stable. (that I remembered from chemistry) and this one I needed a google reminder of: "The most reactive elements in the periodic table are known as the alkali metals. The alkali metals are group 1 of the table "

Hydrogen gets picked up a lot because it has only one electron, so if you have a bunch of hydrogens hanging around, they can come in and fill outer shells of other elements easily. (all of the elements to the far left have 1 electron too, but I think hydrogen is more often available than lithium, sodium, potassium, etc. Wicked slutty, especially in groups. :blush:

Edited: Noble= prude. Fuck that shit, that just aint right. :lol:

#8 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,536 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:  Tim. 

#9 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,536 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:59 PM

Sodium is very reactive, while all the 'noble' gases are notoriously antisocial

oh didnt see you answered that :smile:

#10 direwook

direwook
  • VibeTribe
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

*summon hippie ski chick*

#11 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,749 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:24 PM

Uhh.... Was this topic directed at me? 

#12 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,749 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:24 PM

Wouldnt carbon be the slut element it's in everything.

Organic stuff, pretty much. Anything living. 

#13 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,749 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:25 PM

*summon hippie ski chick*

And that's weird, btw. I haven't been on here for hours. I've been screwing around with my work computer. Freaky. 

#14 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,749 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:27 PM

All of the elements on the far right of the periodic table don't react because their electron shells are completely full. They are noble gases and they are the most stable. (that I remembered from chemistry) and this one I needed a google reminder of: "The most reactive elements in the periodic table are known as the alkali metals. The alkali metals are group 1 of the table "

Hydrogen gets picked up a lot because it has only one electron, so if you have a bunch of hydrogens hanging around, they can come in and fill outer shells of other elements easily. (all of the elements to the far left have 1 electron too, but I think hydrogen is more often available than lithium, sodium, potassium, etc. Wicked slutty, especially in groups. :blush:

Edited: Noble= prude. Fuck that shit, that just aint right. :lol:

And that's pretty much what I was going to say. Really depends on your electrons, but since hydrogen is an oddball and can easily fill an empty spot, I'd call it the most reactive. 

You're likely to find hydrogen in more things than anything else. At least that I can think of...

Are you talking more volatile/chemically reactive? Like 'big bada boom'? 

#15 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,536 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:40 PM

And that's pretty much what I was going to say. Really depends on your electrons, but since hydrogen is an oddball and can easily fill an empty spot, I'd call it the most reactive. 

You're likely to find hydrogen in more things than anything else. At least that I can think of...

Are you talking more volatile/chemically reactive? Like 'big bada boom'? 

A slutty oddball. Love it. :lol:

#16 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,749 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:43 PM

A slutty oddball. Love it. :lol:

You would. :booty:

#17 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,536 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:51 PM

You would. :booty:

Well I hang out with all of you don't I?  :cheesy: 

#18 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,749 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:03 AM

Birds of a feather, sis. ;)

Only those are some wack-ass birds. 

#19 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,536 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:15 AM

Birds of a feather, sis. ;)

Only those are some wack-ass birds. 

I'm gonna go ahead and take that as a compliment.Vanity, It's a mothermucker. :lol:

#20 Sensei Miller

Sensei Miller
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

Many would consider Francium and Fluorine to be the most reactive.

Francium is similar to Sodium in that they both have one valence electron that they really want to give up. The difference is that Francium is larger, so that electron is further away from the nucleus and is thusly more labile/reactive.

Fluorine is the opposite: it desperately wants to fill its outer shell and is an extreme electron scavenger.

Note that Fr and Fl are on opposite corners of the peripdic table. They are extreeeeemely reactive with each other as well.

The Noble Elements on the far right if the periodic table are the least reactive, as has been said.

Hydrogen is pretty reactive, but is far from the most reactive. It's the least reactive in it's column on the Periodic Table, in fact (Na, then K, then eventually Fr are all more reactive). It just happens to be in most things because it is the most abundant element in the universe.

Background: I am a biochemist.

#21 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,536 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

Many would consider Francium and Fluorine to be the most reactive.

Francium is similar to Sodium in that they both have one valence electron that they really want to give up. The difference is that Francium is larger, so that electron is further away from the nucleus and is thusly more labile.

Fluorine is the opposite: it desperately wants to fill its outer shell and is an extreme electron scavenger.

Note that Fr and Fl are one opposite corners of the peripdic table.

The Noble Elements on the far right if the periodic table are the least reactive, as has been said.

Hydrogen is pretty reactive, but is far from the most reactive. It's the least reactive in it's column on the Periodic Table, in fact! It just happens to be in most things because it is the most abundant element in the universe.

My Background: I am a Biochemist.

So would you say then that hydrogen has a higher frequency of reaction where another element might have a higher intensity of reaction? Or something? 

#22 Sensei Miller

Sensei Miller
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

Yeah...given equal numbers of H and Fr, the Fr would react first. Say, with oxygen, for example.

But Fr is very rare, so the reality is more like a million H's for every one Fr.

I also revised that post a bit but the gist is the same.

#23 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,644 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

I am staying at a holiday inn tonight, let me get back to you tomorrow on this.   :cheesy:

#24 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,749 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

So would you say then that hydrogen has a higher frequency of reaction where another element might have a higher intensity of reaction? Or something? 

that's kinda where I was going with it, seeing how predominant hydrogen is. 

Wasn't sure what his context was, as far as "reactive". 

so in using J's analogy, Francium would be an elusive slutbag of the elements. 

However, IMO, hydrogen gets around. I think H is the slutbag. :lol:

#25 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

I still think the Big O is pretty slutty. :funny1:

#26 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,644 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

I still think the Big O is pretty slutty. :funny1:

... CO2 is the morning after shame walk.

#27 Sensei Miller

Sensei Miller
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

CO2 is the walk of shame the day after oxygen had its way with sugar.

Hydrogen is literally the most abundant element in the universe, but saying it's the most reactive because it's in everything is like saying a 2000 Corolla is the best car ever made because everyone drives one.

The Corolla is very common, but given the choice, most people would rather drive an Infinity or something.

My background: I drive a 2000 Corolla.