Introducing "sweets" to the baby

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

Baby Moons first holiday season and birthday are  approaching and it has gotten me thinking about "sweets"

I haven't really given him anything sweet other than in his fruits and vegetables. I want to make him a birthday cake but not sure if that is the first time he should have something like that or if I should try it sooner.

I have found some great recipes on wholesome baby foods that are fruit oriented and not the typical frosting covered creations.

What has everyone else done? Any suggestions?

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,248 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

If I had it to do again, absolutely no refined sugar for baby.

#3 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,292 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

I always waited until they were old enough to ask for the junk type foods, and even then I didn't keep much around the house for them to ask for.

#4 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:26 AM

I haven't given him any refined sugar products. I want to keep him away from them as long as possible.

I have started to change a lot about my own eating habits as I cook for him.

What would you suggest as a birthday cake..... maybe use applesauce as the sweetener?

#5 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

Emelia had cake at her first birthday party.  That was the first time she had it.  She wasn't sure what to make of it!  She really hasn't had many sweets or treats since.  We occasionally give her a bite of ice cream if we have some. She still only drinks water or milk - no juice.  She doesn't seem to mind!  haha I wish I could stay away from sweets. :funny1:

#6 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:46 AM

Baby moon gets milk, water, and water downed orange juice. The only reason I give him the oj is to help absorb iron. As a preemie he does not have the proper iron supply.

I gave him a bite of my blueberry muffin today. He loved it.

But for the most part we are trying very hard to limit any added sugars.

#7 namaste

namaste
  • VibeTribe
  • 495 posts
  • Locationpine plains, ny

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:32 AM

http://www.elanaspan...om/carrot-cake/

I am gluten free and mostly sugar free, meaning refined white sugar.  This lady's website is chock-full of healthy yumminess!  You have to try the paleo breakfast bread.  If I had little ones now, this website would be my go-to.  

#8 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:53 AM

thank you  i will check it out