• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,254 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

:( a thousand times. Thank you for punk rock. 

#2 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:35 PM

RIP Lou

Love your music and your influence.

Also loved the brief chance interaction with you I had.

18 years ago I was a 20 year old bartender at this real highfalutin place on Cape Cod.  It was mid afternoon in the early fall on a somewhat cool day just like today.  The resort was real quiet.  In walks Lou with some European broad on his arm who was probably 25 years his junior.  I seat the two of them outside on the veranda in a table off to the side that he asked if they could sit at.  Well, after a couple of minutes he asks me for an ash tray.  Now, no one is allowed to smoke in any public areas of this resort even during the mid-90s when tobacco was tolerated a lot more than it is today.  I tell Lou, I'll be right back.  I find my boss and say, "Jack, I've got a guy who wishes to smoke on the Veranda."  Jack says absolutely not.  I say, "What if I told you that guy was Lou Reed?"  "Get the fuck out of here! You're full of shit."  "Go ahead and see for yourself."  My boss ends up delivering the ash tray himself.  :lol:  Lou probably cranked half a pack in the hour and half he hung out there.  :lol:

This was my first real celebrity interaction working in the Hospitality business.    I didn't want to be some intrusive asshat and announce that I knew who he was, but I couldn't contain myself.  When I dropped his bill I simply said, "Pardon me, but has anyone ever told you you look exactly like Lou Reed?"  Lou replied, "Yeah, I get that a lot."  :)

#3 Roasted and Toasted

Roasted and Toasted
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,296 posts
  • LocationUnder a tent

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

Was sad to see this when coming home this afternoon. Been a fan since I was a very young music lover.

#4 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,254 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

Good tipper?

#5 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

You know, I can't recall.  He could have stiffed me and I wouldn't have cared.  :lol:  

#6 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 323 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

Great story, DHS!

#7 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

:(

RIP

#8 lunaone

lunaone
  • VibeTribe
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:45 PM

heart love lou. what a great career

#9 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:00 AM

Phillip Glass, Rahzel, and Lou Reed for the Tibet House at Carnegie Hall

6875149553_70eac50a8e_b.jpg

#10 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,457 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:09 AM

:heart:

#11 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,387 posts
  • LocationDerby

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

If my sources are correct, The Phish from Vermont opened with Sweet Nothin' in Hartford a few minutes ago..

#12 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:41 AM

If my sources are correct, The Phish from Vermont opened with Sweet Nothin' in Hartford a few minutes ago..

Rock and Roll.

#13 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,854 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:53 AM

100%

#14 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,254 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:58 AM

Might put phish aside tonight in favor of Transformer.

#15 Nuthatch

Nuthatch
  • VibeTribe
  • 610 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:06 AM

Not a perfect day...... :(

#16 Cheezdude

Cheezdude
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:13 AM

A legend. R.I.P. Lou. I always liked your style.  :(

#17 Skrockypoint

Skrockypoint
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

Loss of legend...... R.I.P. Lou

#18 Gypsy Bob

Gypsy Bob
  • VibeTribe
  • 907 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

Lou was an Icon and defined a genre. Can't believe he's gone.

#19 territoryranger

territoryranger
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

Rest in Peace,Godfather of Punk

#20 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,714 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

Phish did a nice little tribute to him to open the show last night in Hartford.

This one is still stinging.

:cry:

#21 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,387 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

gov't mule did a 3 song lou reed encore last night in eugene <3 

#22 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,714 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

nice!  :heart:

I have a friend sending me some Lou Reed shows soon.  Really looking forward to hearing some older live stuff!

#23 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,714 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

"The news I feared the most, pales in comparison to the lump in my throat and the hollow in my stomach. Two kids have a chance meeting and 47 years later we fight and love the same way - losing either one is incomprehensible. No replacement value, no digital or virtual fill…broken now, for all time. Unlike so many with similar stories - we have the best of our fury laid out on vinyl, for the world to catch a glimpse. The laughs we shared just a few weeks ago, will forever remind me of all that was good between us." ~John Cale

#24 Skrockypoint

Skrockypoint
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:10 PM

gov't mule did a 3 song lou reed encore last night in eugene <3

Awesome.

#25 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:25 PM

We had the honor of playing with Lou Reed on a festival bill in Germany when we were touring with the Violent Femmes in 1992. As we were walking up onstage, Lou was sitting in the grass next to the stage. I nervously approached and said hi, and he said “go up there and show em’ how to Rock and Roll, after all, we invented it.” His comment made my head spin. The entire time we were up onstage playing I was thinking, “did he mean Americans, or him and The Velvet Underground?” Because either statement would be  true.  Think about it for a second… long before the Ramones, without whom there never would have been the Sex Pistols or punk music, long before Patti Smith, long before Glam, noise rock, grunge, indie, long before the Smiths, Pavement, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, and on and on… there was Lou Reed.

Thank you, Lou. You are the true father of Rock and Roll. We all are forever in your debt.

- Trey Anastasio

#26 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

I am not very familiar with the Velvet Underground or Lou's solo work, but I am excited about the discoveries that lie ahead.  Here is one from the Velvet Underground in memory of Lou.

#27 Misha

Misha

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

I love what Laurie Anderson wrote:

(Laurie Anderson remembered her late husband Lou Reed in a short obit for the East Hampton Star, a small newspaper from a town on Long Island that Reed and Anderson often visited). Read the full text below

To our neighbors:

What a beautiful fall! Everything shimmering and golden and all that incredible soft light. Water surrounding us.

Lou and I have spent a lot of time here in the past few years, and even though we’re city people this is our spiritual home.

Last week I promised Lou to get him out of the hospital and come home to Springs. And we made it!

Lou was a tai chi master and spent his last days here being happy and dazzled by the beauty and power and softness of nature. He died on Sunday morning looking at the trees and doing the famous 21 form of tai chi with just his musician hands moving through the air.

Lou was a prince and a fighter and I know his songs of the pain and beauty in the world will fill many people with the incredible joy he felt for life. Long live the beauty that comes down and through and onto all of us.

— Laurie Anderson
his loving wife and eternal friend

(

#28 Slarti

Slarti
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:37 PM

I remember hearing that music the first time I almost had sex, but I didn't :lol:

#29 lunaone

lunaone
  • VibeTribe
  • 567 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:40 PM

I love what Laurie Anderson wrote:

(Laurie Anderson remembered her late husband Lou Reed in a short obit for the East Hampton Star, a small newspaper from a town on Long Island that Reed and Anderson often visited). Read the full text below

To our neighbors:

What a beautiful fall! Everything shimmering and golden and all that incredible soft light. Water surrounding us.

Lou and I have spent a lot of time here in the past few years, and even though we’re city people this is our spiritual home.

Last week I promised Lou to get him out of the hospital and come home to Springs. And we made it!

Lou was a tai chi master and spent his last days here being happy and dazzled by the beauty and power and softness of nature. He died on Sunday morning looking at the trees and doing the famous 21 form of tai chi with just his musician hands moving through the air.

Lou was a prince and a fighter and I know his songs of the pain and beauty in the world will fill many people with the incredible joy he felt for life. Long live the beauty that comes down and through and onto all of us.

— Laurie Anderson
his loving wife and eternal friend

(

a beautiful passing!

thanks Misha

#30 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,908 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:29 AM

#31 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:03 AM

I think Phish should honor Lou Reed and VU by playing Train Come Round The Bend in NYC this December.  "Been up in the country much too long"

#32 territoryranger

territoryranger
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

Lou_Reed_HS_Yearbook.jpg

#33 DJ Easy Wind

DJ Easy Wind
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:27 AM

LOU!

Scroll down to "Morning Dew" for 11/03...

http://archive.wbai.org/#ankor24

#34 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

http://www.rollingst...lusive-20131106

#35 Misha

Misha

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

a beautiful passing!

thanks Misha

You're welcome! I thought it was really touching.