Photo

Researchers at the University of British Columbia have identified a gene variant that predisposes people to focus on negative events.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,583 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

Optimists are said to see the world through rose-colored glasses. A new study in the journal Psychological Science indicates that others are predisposed to see the world with a slightly darker tint. Researchers at the University of British Columbia have identified a gene variant that predisposes people to focus on negative events. The ADRA2b deletion variant identified by the scientists influences levels of the neurotransmitter norepinephrine. When the researchers had people look at positive, negative, and neutral words displayed for brief periods of time, individuals carrying the deletion variant were more likely to perceive negative words than those without the variant. This is one of the first studies to examine how a specific gene variant alters emotional perception, the researchers said.

Read more: http://bit.ly/1aptc6M
Journal article: Genes for Emotion-Enhanced Remembering Are Linked to Enhanced Perceiving. Psychological Science, 2013. doi: 10.1177/0956797613492423

#2 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,257 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

So that's my problem Jenn! :lol:

#3 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

it's not nature, and it's not nurture, but rather both I would imagine.

#4 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,648 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

So that's my problem Jenn! :lol:

:rolling:

Original%20KDs%20Sunglasses%20Dark%20Gre

#5 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,058 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

Is it being Irish or from Boston?

#6 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,393 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

it's not nature, and it's not nurture, but rather both I would imagine.

i agree.  i know for certain you can reprogram your thoughts to go in one direction or the other, and that in the end, it's your choice which way they'll tend to go.  

#7 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,672 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

Is it being Irish or from Boston?

Yes.  :lol:

#8 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

Genes are proof that your life is predetermined.  Choice, like linear time, is an illusion, and every "choice" you make has already been made a split-second before you "choose".

http://en.wikipedia....sion_of_control

#9 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,879 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

Genes are proof that your life is predetermined.  Choice, like linear time, is an illusion, and every "choice" you make has already been made a split-second before you "choose".

http://en.wikipedia....sion_of_control

I've seen some of that stuff and I would tend to think that it's actually the process of making the choice of which we then become conscious of at its conclusion

#10 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

I've seen some of that stuff and I would tend to think that it's actually the process of making the choice of which we then become conscious of at its conclusion

that sounds like a rationalization

#11 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,879 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:36 PM

call it what you will :lol:  to me it's just evidence that choice isn't made in our frontal lobe but elsewhere in the brain... just because it's not part of our conscious process doesn't mean it's not "us" whatever "us" really means

#12 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

call it what you will :lol:  to me it's just evidence that choice isn't made in our frontal lobe but elsewhere in the brain... just because it's not part of our conscious process doesn't mean it's not "us" whatever "us" really means

If it is coming from "elsewhere" then I propose that any choice you make has already happened "elsewhere" and is part of a preexisting plan, and you perceive making a choice when this part of the plan is "executed".

Genes are physical evidence of your physical body plan...that came from your parents genes combining...not by chance, but according to their plans...and so on and so forth all the way back to "elsewhere".

Another piece of evidence I propose is that you cannot choose to not breath, or choose to stop your heartbeat.  These are actions beyond your control that keep you living.  I see nothing different between mental functions or "voluntary" actions.  It all stems from the same place, thing, plan, whatever concept you choose.

I understand how this can frighten people, or be rejected outright, because it undermines their own personal "power"....but that is kind of the point of life....to give up all control to relize you were never in control....but you ARE the control.  Its a paradox....We are all individuals, but we are all the same thing....and our "reality" is already written.

<end ramble>