Weird Job Interviews

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Beany

Beany
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

So I must say, I've gone on many a job interview in my life. A lot of really weird stuff. I compare it to blind dates sometimes. Please post stories of your interview experiences. Here is a bizarre one I had just last week. It was with Clearchannel.

I sent in a resume and an HR person emailed me from Georgia saying they got my resume and wanted to do a phone interview with me for a Marketing Graphic Designer

I'm waiting for the interviewer to call me at the proposed time, and she was 1/2 hour late with her call. Then she asked me generic questions like "how did you hear of this position?" things that didnt pertain to the job at all. Then she asked me about what experience I had in the Publishing industry. I proceeded to tell here all about my publishing experience and at the end she said "do you have any questions?" I said yes, did this position have anything to do with publishing? I thought it was a marketing position.

She said no, there was no publishing involved. Then she proceeded to tell me that I was not a good candidate for this position, that they'll keep my resume on file.

Bizarre.
I know Clearchannel is sort of a monster, but this was beyond making no sense.

#2 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,461 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

Not too weird, but interesting interview question.

Went for a position many years back. Deal was they would teach a couple week (maybe 4 or 6, I don't remember) class on Visual Basic programming, then find the students jobs and/or hire us themselves. I already knew VB quite well and had developed a couple apps in it, so they were quite interested in me. The owner asked me to lunch one day so we could talk, it was clearly an informal interview.

After some other questions and chat, he asked me if I had any speeding tickets. It wasn't a question I was prepared for. At that time I had been commuting back and forth on the Mass pike a lot and had a number of speeding tickets. Not knowing how to answer, I went with the truth. Yes, I had quite a few. He said, "Good. We like people that take chances.". 

Turned out though they were quite militaristic. I had knew something was off when they had a long (12 or 18 pages) thing to agree to in order to start the class. Lots of controlling language and things. Needless to say, it didn't work out for us.

#3 Beany

Beany
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

OK that's weirder LOL