Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

http://www.npr.org/b...medium=facebook

http://kff.org/inter...child-tobacco=0

#2 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

$94/month compared to $300/month? I'll take it!!!

#3 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

I do not qualify.

My insurance would be 5700 for the year or 469.75 a month (as compared to about 300 through my job).

Does not work for me.

#4 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

i have to crunch the exact numbers when the sign up begins.  i may not qualify if my total out of pocket cost is less than 9.5% of my income (i think i'm right on the border of that now)

#5 grateful_1

grateful_1
  • VibeTribe
  • 128 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

The cost of healthcare is still too high. (but that's another thread!)

Thanks for the links!

#6 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:42 AM

Since I married my wife, who works closely in the health field, it's amazing what I have learned about how health costs are tabulated. And why so many experts are very skeptical of Obamacare working. If Medicaid is any indication, we're in for a rude awakening. There are so many factors that have to be just right for this to work, and the odds are definitely against it. We shall see, I suppose.

#7 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,959 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:26 AM

What is the cost of torn rectal tissue?

#8 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:32 AM

I can tell you, as someone who is self-employed (and therefore previously hasn't had the benefit of being lumped into a risk pool), that my first impression is positive. I need to dig deeper, but it's looking like I can probably afford health insurance again for the first time in 8 years! :D

#9 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:35 PM

can someone please explain what the cost to me would be?  I dont understand any of this stuff...

results

The information below is about subsidized exchange coverage. Note that subsidies are only available for people purchasing coverage on their own in the exchange (not through an employer). Depending on your state's eligibility criteria, you or some members of your family may qualify for Medicaid.

• Household income in 2014:
  • 278% of poverty level
  • Unsubsidized annual health insurance premium in 2014:
  • $3,620
  • Maximum % of income you have to pay for the non-tobacco premium, if eligible for a subsidy:
  • 8.87%
  • Amount you pay for the premium:
  • $1,846 per year
    (which equals 8.87% of your household income and covers 51% of the overall premium)
  • You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to:
  • $1,774
    (which covers 49% of the overall premium)
BRONZE PLAN

The premium and subsidy amounts above are based on a Silver plan. You have the option to apply the subsidy toward the purchase of other levels of coverage, such as a Gold plan (which would be more comprehensive) or a Bronze plan (which would be less comprehensive).

For example, you could enroll in a Bronze plan for about $1,267 per year (which is 6.09% of your household income, after taking into account $1,774 in subsidies). For most people, the Bronze plan represents the minimum level of coverage required under health reform. Although you would pay less in premiums by enrolling in a Bronze plan, you will face higher out-of-pocket costs than if you enrolled in a Silver plan.

OUT OF POCKET COSTS

Your out-of-pocket maximum for a Silver plan (not including the premium) can be no more than $6,350. Whether you reach this maximum level will depend on the amount of health care services you use. Currently, about one in four people use no health care services in any given year.

You are guaranteed access to a Silver plan with an actuarial value of 70%. This means that for all enrollees in a typical population, the plan will pay for 70% of expenses in total for covered benefits, with enrollees responsible for the rest. If you choose to enroll in a Bronze plan, the actuarial value will be 60%, meaning your out-of-pocket costs when you use services will likely be higher. Regardless of which level of coverage you choose, deductibles and copayments will vary from plan to plan, and out-of-pocket costs will depend on your health care expenses. Preventive services will be covered with no cost sharing required.

I plugged in my info, and this is my results.  What number am I supposed to divide by 12 to get my monthly cost?  

#10 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,507 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

I plugged in my info, and this is my results.  What number am I supposed to divide by 12 to get my monthly cost?  

$1,846 per year

#11 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

thanks meO.  $154 a month is definitely awesome and affordable.  My employer's plan would run me twice this....

#12 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

idk hoagie, i think that reads that you pay $3620 annually & you could receive up to $1774 back when you file your taxes.  so it's more like $302 per month up front.

#13 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

I ran it again, 1st result is where my job offers coverage, second one is same job, but they do not offer:

Job offers coverage:

In general, employees who are offered insurance through work are not eligible for subsidized exchange coverage, so long as their insurance meets specified requirements. You would only be eligible for subsidized exchange coverage if your income is between 1 and 4 times the federal poverty level and you would have to pay more than 9.5% of your household income for your own coverage through the insurance offered by your employer.

Job does not offer coverage:

results

Because your income is more than 4 times the poverty level, you would not qualify for subsidized exchange coverage. The information below is about unsubsidized exchange coverage.

• Household income in 2014:
  • large% of poverty level
  • Unsubsidized annual health insurance premium in 2014:
  • $5,637 
    In most states, insurers can charge a tobacco surcharge of up to 50% of your total premium before the tax credit. The tax credit cannot be applied to the tobacco surcharge.
  • Maximum % of income you have to pay for the non-tobacco premium, if eligible for a subsidy:
  • None 
    (before accounting for a tobacco surcharge, if applicable)
  • Amount you pay for the premium:
  • $5,637 per year
    (which equals 3.91% of your household income and covers 100% of the overall premium)
  • You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to:
  • $0
    (which covers 0% of the overall premium)
BRONZE PLAN

The premium amounts above are based on a Silver plan. You could purchase other levels of coverage, such as a Gold plan (which would be more comprehensive) or a Bronze plan (which would be less comprehensive).

For example, you could enroll in a Bronze plan for about $4,463 per year (which is 3.1% of your household income). For most people, the Bronze plan represents the minimum level of coverage required under health reform. Although you would pay less in premiums by enrolling in a Bronze plan, you will face higher out-of-pocket costs than if you enrolled in a Silver plan.

OUT OF POCKET COSTS

Your out-of-pocket maximum for a Silver plan (not including the premium) can be no more than $12,700. Whether you reach this maximum level will depend on the amount of health care services you use. Currently, about one in four people use no health care services in any given year.

A Silver plan has an actuarial value of 70%. This means that for all enrollees in a typical population, the plan will pay for 70% of expenses in total for covered benefits, with enrollees responsible for the rest. If you choose to enroll in a Bronze plan, the actuarial value will be 60%, meaning your out-of-pocket costs when you use services will likely be higher. Regardless of which level of coverage you choose, deductibles and copayments will vary from plan to plan, and out-of-pocket costs will depend on your health care expenses. Preventive services will be covered with no cost sharing required.

OTHER COVERAGE OPTIONS

Children and young adults under age 30 are eligible to purchase catastrophic coverage. With a catastrophic plan, you would pay out-of-pocket for most health services until you reach the annual limit on cost sharing ($12,700 in 2014). However, preventive services are covered with no cost sharing required.

#14 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

idk hoagie, i think that reads that you pay $3620 annually & you could receive up to $1774 back when you file your taxes.  so it's more like $302 per month up front.

still cheaper than employer rate...

#15 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

still cheaper than employer rate...

sweet.  i'll be looking into it for that same reason.

#16 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,107 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

it gives a national average because they don't have stats on New York (I'm assuming the poverty level stats)?!?

Also I don't qualify according to them, even though I'm pretty sure I'm not making 400% over the poverty level in NY.

#17 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

You really need to go to the exchange website for your particular state....

#18 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,628 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

BXHNqHJCIAAJGRp.jpg

Screen-shot-2013-10-21-at-12.42.15-PM.pn

If you call the 1-800 number you'll get referred to the broken website. But if you write a letter.......

#19 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

hs1guide29z-a_900.jpg

#20 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

the penalty for 2014 is about the price of a parking ticket.

#21 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,628 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

A $975 parking ticket?

#22 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:35 PM

A $975 parking ticket?

it says 2014 penalty for individuals is $95

#23 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

I like the flow chart.  Answer yes or no, follow path.

#24 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,628 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

Follow the flow chart until you get to either 1-800-fucku or the broken website. :lmao:

#25 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,915 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

the president's job is not easy. he makes sure the laws of the country are fair. and commands must be obeyed by all.

541758_10151943129173827_77105651_n.jpg

#26 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,791 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

I can tell you, as someone who is self-employed (and therefore previously hasn't had the benefit of being lumped into a risk pool), that my first impression is positive. I need to dig deeper, but it's looking like I can probably afford health insurance again for the first time in 8 years! :D

This will be me, too, but I just calculated mine, and estimating a reasonable and modest income for myself, it's still almost 350 a month. 

This just isn't affordable when you've been running a good budget for years with no medical insurance. 

#27 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,628 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:11 PM

"If you like your plan, you can keep your plan."

:rolling:

#28 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

& so it begins....

"You should also be aware that Emblem has informed us that as of January 1, 2014 they will be canceling our plan due to the Obamacare law and will offer new plan options more in line with the new guidelines in the law. As soon as we get details we will pick a plan and let you know. We DO NOT expect a lapse in coverage but the actual co-pays and deductibles may vary."

part of the memo i just received from work. 

i'm already paying $400 fucking dollars a month & my co payment to see the ob/gyn is $50 fucking dollars, but apparently it doesn't cover enough.  i can't even imagine how much higher it's going to go & if it turns out that i'm ineligible for subsidies then i'm just better off uninsured & paying the fucking fine.

good luck every boardie...you're prolly gonna need it, prolly

#29 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,628 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

Well, as a single, over 30 year old male, my plan will now cover prenatal care.

:rolling:

#30 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,628 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

& so it begins....

"You should also be aware that Emblem has informed us that as of January 1, 2014 they will be canceling our plan due to the Obamacare law and will offer new plan options more in line with the new guidelines in the law. As soon as we get details we will pick a plan and let you know. We DO NOT expect a lapse in coverage but the actual co-pays and deductibles may vary."

part of the memo i just received from work. 

i'm already paying $400 fucking dollars a month & my co payment to see the ob/gyn is $50 fucking dollars, but apparently it doesn't cover enough.  i can't even imagine how much higher it's going to go & if it turns out that i'm ineligible for subsidies then i'm just better off uninsured & paying the fucking fine.

good luck every boardie...you're prolly gonna need it, prolly

You can join the millions out there who were able to keep their plan. :rolling:

#31 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,579 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

I don't know what all the bitching is about, it seems everyone is getting free rectal exams.

#32 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,628 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

I don't know what all the bitching is about, it seems everyone is getting free rectal exams.

Well, in my experience, an exam as such doesn't include shoving a stick up their and breaking it off at the handle. YMMV.

#33 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,579 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

BronzePlan'd

#34 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,791 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:11 PM