Photo

Good lord...In Utero sounds amazing 20 years on...

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,033 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:03 AM

Listening to the super deluxe edition...specifically the Live & Loud part. I remember seeing it live on EmptyVee. This band still gives me the chills all these years later. Some things you just never grow out of. Punk fucking rock indeed.

nirvana-gd.gif

He hated the Dead and all they stood for so fucking much...:lol:

#2 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,033 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:05 AM

Teenage angst has paid off well
Now I'm bored and old
Self-appointed jugdes judge
More than they have soul

#3 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

<3 Nirvana. Dripping with angst and flannel. What a huge part of my high school years...

#4 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

I can't really stand listening to Nirvana anymore. A radio hit (how punk rock and quaint) or two is about all I can stomach.

#5 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,153 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

Their unplugged I can still listen to...I mean sure...it's not as memorable as the Dirty Dancing soundtrack...but it's still enjoyable. She's like the wind always brings a tear to my eye ::sigh::

#6 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,153 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

Besides...I was more of an STP and Chains lad (sorry punk side of Josh :heart: )

#7 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

only one I still really enjoy is the unplugged.  it's a fantastic performance.

#8 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Maybe it's that teenage angst didn't pay off well for me....now i'm bored and old.

:lol:

#9 blindmule

blindmule
  • VibeTribe
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:54 AM

In utero, for me is the one studio album of theirs that stands the test of time the best. How good is tourettes and milk it!? Great album!

#10 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

Bleach. Still the best thing they ever did IMO.

#11 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:23 PM

I have some of their Outcesticides they did, and although most of the songs are fuzzy and loaded with feedback, there are some crazy good ones on there, too. Ones that you won't find on any other albums, and I always wondered why they never released it anywhere else. 

#12 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

I have some of their Outcesticides they did, and although most of the songs are fuzzy and loaded with feedback, there are some crazy good ones on there, too. Ones that you won't find on any other albums, and I always wondered why they never released it anywhere else. 

B-sides.

Cut from all album releases. This is common practice. Soundgarden, Chains, etc...all had what essentially amounts to b-side releases.

#13 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

Derr. I know what they're normally called, Nirvana called them The Outcesticide albums. Three of them, I think. 

#14 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

OK.....

I always wondered why they never released it anywhere else. 

:dunno:

#15 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

I meant on one of the big, advertised albums. (In Utero, etc) There were a few really good songs that IMHO could have been singles. 

#16 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,153 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

They never released them cuz the lead singer was strung out on heroin and thought it to corporate to make extra cash to feed their families (band) and have a better lifestyle....its not selling out to release good music to the masses.

#17 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty anti-big corp/mainstream as well, but your function as a band is making music and enriching other peoples' lives. 

He battled with that dilemma until the end, and was quite vocal about it. He never wanted to be mainstream, and his fight against it ultimately landed him exactly there. 

I personally like how GD sidestepped that, by letting people tape at shows. They made 'enough' money, but didn't get crazy greedy. 

#18 direwook

direwook
  • VibeTribe
  • 223 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

I love Nirvana and the Dead, but I gotta say Kurt's "Kill the Grateful Dead" shirt has always kind of chapped my ass.  

#19 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,033 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

I love Nirvana and the Dead, but I gotta say Kurt's "Kill the Grateful Dead" shirt has always kind of chapped my ass.  

Why? I thought it was great then...and still do.

#20 direwook

direwook
  • VibeTribe
  • 223 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

I was under the impression his distaste for the Dead had something to do with a personal beef between Courtney and Phil, so the shirt seemed kind of hokey and capable of chapping asses.

#21 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,033 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:21 PM

I was under the impression his distaste for the Dead had something to do with a personal beef between Courtney and Phil, so the shirt seemed kind of hokey and capable of chapping asses.

No, not in the slightest. Had nothing at all to do with any of that. Punks and hippies got along for about five minutes once, there's always been a rift between the two communities. The exceptions are folks like Greg Ginn and myself who don't really give a fuck.

#22 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,153 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty anti-big corp/mainstream as well, but your function as a band is making music and enriching other peoples' lives. 

He battled with that dilemma until the end, and was quite vocal about it. He never wanted to be mainstream, and his fight against it ultimately landed him exactly there. 

I personally like how GD sidestepped that, by letting people tape at shows. They made 'enough' money, but didn't get crazy greedy. 

yep...still a shame, he had talent and probably could have made a career as a lyricist/song writer and kept out of the limelight after the grunge explosion fell.