Hey, soccer hooligans

• Please log in to reply
3621 replies to this topic

#3601 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,067 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:05 PM

i'm glad he's staying for the season.  I really hope he doesn't get buried on the depth chart.  there is a lot of talent at Spurs, and I hope he sees meaningful first team time.

if he doesn't, this is a BAD move.

#3602 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,474 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:38 PM

Jme.  What do you think the starting xi will be for United?

Will Januaz play?  Is Valencia fit?

There are A LOT of unfit players from the world cup.   Blowing up my fantasy selections.

Current squad but sure there will be changes...

Up front... Rooney, De Costa and Giroud.

Midfield ... Ross Barkley, Erickson (spurs), Ramsey, Coutino (fifth player still up in air, low cost option, hence Januaz question)

Defense - Lovern (pool), Ben Davis (spurs) and G Cameron (two low cost options need)

Goalie - Lloris, Krul

#3603 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,067 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

not sure on valencia, but Shaw is out for a month.  rumor has it Janujaz is getting the 11, and if that's the case, he'll be in the rotation.

I think he fits with the 4-3-3 more then the 5-3-2, but he's only played in one friendly so it's hard to tell what LVG is going to do.

the only players that select themselves for SAT are Rooney, Mata, Herrera, Fletcher, Evans, Jones, DeGea.  I think Ashley Young will start on SAT, and he's been popping up in great positions from that deep left and right wing, scoring goals, and assisting in the preseason.  If he's cheap, he's worth a gamble.

Sounds like they have Rojo coming in from Sporting, and noone is saying that this Vidal deal is dead. Daley Blind is in conversation as well, and with Shaw's injury I think he's a good one for the squad. they have noone else that can play and out and out LB (Rojo could, but he'll be central I think).

#3604 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,067 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

Valencia is hurt.  didn't play TUE, may not play SAT.

#3605 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,474 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:38 PM

Valencia is hurt.  didn't play TUE, may not play SAT.

I picked up young as my cheap midfield options, cheaper the A Valencia anyway.\

Who will do better to start the season Dzeko or De Costa or Lukaku?

Costa will not be another soldado.

I say Dzeko short term.

#3606 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,067 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

Lukaku is going to score goals at Everton.  he's only going to get better than last year. that whole team can improve.

I don't like Dzeko with all of the striker options there.   Chelsea is going to win 1-0 / 2-0 alot, and score from the midfield. personally I wait to see how that all comes together.

#3607 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,474 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:46 PM

Lukaku is going to score goals at Everton.  he's only going to get better than last year. that whole team can improve.

I don't like Dzeko with all of the striker options there.   Chelsea is going to win 1-0 / 2-0 alot, and score from the midfield. personally I wait to see how that all comes together.

I tend to agree, but figured Dzeko would be playing for most of August with Aguero (not fit from world cup) and Negredo out until late Sept at earliest he would get most of the run, like he did at the end of last season.

From the Crazy news file:

Report: Tony Pulis’ future at Crystal Palace hanging in the balance

http://prosoccertalk...in-the-balance/

But it makes sense since CP have no ambitions other than staying up.  I do like the Martin Kelly signing for Right Back.  (might bring him on my fantasy squad (if pulis stays).  As bench 4 or 5th option).

#3608 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,067 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:15 PM

i think he's already gone (twitter rumors), and sky might announce it today or tomorrow.  CP is being dumb, and I hope they get the drop.  he saved their ass last year, and they show no ambition?  awful for a London club.

you know more about Citteh than I do, then.  as long as they have Silva out there, anyone up top will bag the goals.

#3609 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,474 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

i think he's already gone (twitter rumors), and sky might announce it today or tomorrow.  CP is being dumb, and I hope they get the drop.  he saved their ass last year, and they show no ambition?  awful for a London club.

you know more about Citteh than I do, then.  as long as they have Silva out there, anyone up top will bag the goals.

I know too much about too many squads, prolly because of fantasy.  lol, but yes.

Totally agree about Silva.  One announcer described Silva being substituted by Milner last year as a Picasso being replaced by a painter.

I did not select him and a few other favorites like Hazard because they just returned to training last week from WC duty and battling short term fitness.

Fantasy blogs are talking up Mata too, since he will more than likely play the 10 for United.

I am debating upgrading defenders.  But the good ones are expensive Ibra, Baines, Zabalata, etc...  Had Shaw but his injury leaves me to add him later in season.

#3610 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,474 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

Maybe Fulham can bring in Pulis.  McGath will be gone by mid season.  :lol:

#3611 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,067 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

mata's in the hole, for sure, and at some point he'll have rooney & RVP ahead of him.   mouthwatering.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Adnan slide into that spot as well as Kagawa, when Mata needs a blow.

long fucking season of fantasy BPL. way too long for me.  

I got my Auction Draft for Fantasy Handegg on SAT.  it's going to be awesome.  We've got a HOT SAUCE FOUNTAIN. :lol:

#3612 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,474 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

long fucking season of fantasy BPL. way too long for me.  

I got my Auction Draft for Fantasy Handegg on SAT.  it's going to be awesome.  We've got a HOT SAUCE FOUNTAIN. :lol:

Yes it is.  I have a bunch of buddies from hooligan day that make the effort worth it for one day of bragging.  Four or five straight top 4 finishes, and last year I won the head to head league.  Call me Wenger.  :lol:

Even have a cheesy trophy at home memorializing it.   :funny1:

My football draft is Sunday the 24 at a bar on Staten Island.  I took off Monday.   :)

#3613 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,067 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:11 PM

smart  I got that weekend off, but have another on the 30th.

it's a NY-centric league with ZERO Yankee fans.  it's quite awesome.  I'm gonna sport my new "Jesus Hates the Yankees" tee shirt.

#3614 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,474 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:04 PM

Final squad...

Rooney (Capt.), Giroud(V), Dzeko  (Lukaku is not playing this week and similar cost as Dzeko)

Mata, Ericksen, SIlva, Coutino, 

Debuchy, B Davies (Spurs), Manguillo, A. Wisdom(WBA), Duff (Brunley)

Begovic,

A Young (1st off bench if injury), A. Wisdom(WBA), Duff (Brunley)

Krul

#3615 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

Carla's cousin's husband just agreed to work with the New York City FC Youth Team 

http://www.nycfc.com...ources-appoints

He's not mentioned in the article, but they'll use the practice fields just south of Chelsea Pier (on top of the parking garage)

#3616 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,474 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:57 PM

Carla's cousin's husband just agreed to work with the New York City FC Youth Team 

http://www.nycfc.com...ources-appoints

He's not mentioned in the article, but they'll use the practice fields just south of Chelsea Pier (on top of the parking garage)

Very cool.   :thumbsup:

#3617 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,067 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

thank god I'm really busy the next couple of weekends.  

that was fucking AWFUL.

#3618 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,474 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:54 PM

thank god I'm really busy the next couple of weekends.  

that was fucking AWFUL.

:rolling:

1408201000660_wps_3_vg_out_PNG.jpg

Three months he says.  Gotta give him until Thanksgiving I assume.

Looks like they got Rojos and will they spend the 100 Mil for DiMaria?

#3619 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,067 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

at this point I'm waiting for the team to release anything.   I'm not sold on the DiMaria move, unless it means a switch to 3 up top, but then, where does Rooney go.

I dunno.  I'm in a relative funk with regards to fucking Woodward, and his apparent inability to get a fucking deal done.  meh.

I'm focusing on my new fantasy handegg team I drafted on SAT. :lol:

#3620 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,474 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:53 PM

Jme...

Then why spend 20 Million if he is not an upgrade?

Is Rojo an upgrade on Chris Smalling, Jonny Evans or Phil Jones? Probably not. But neither is he a downgrade, and therein lies the point: If United are to play three at the back, an extra centre-back is an absolute necessity. An upgrade would be nice, but as they struggle to find one, United will settle for a similar standard to those already in the squad, especially given the fitness issues in defence (his ability to cover at wing back might prove handy, too). If Rojo can flourish under van Gaal's guidance, he could well turn into a shrewd purchase.

http://www.espnfc.co...ing-for-man-utd

#3621 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,067 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:37 PM

Andy, at this point YOU are an upgrade over smalling.   and if I read again that he's going to play left wing back I may stop reading Soccer coverage all together.  He's going to play in the middle WHERE HE HAS FOR CLUB FOR 3 YEARS.  in this case, I think he's ONLY considered since he has the pace to play in a 3 back system, and showed at the WC he's natural going to the left (and playing LB for country).  I also think he was the 4th CB on LVG's list, and Woodward is a fucking idiot and can't get anything done.

also, that guy Sam Kelly covers the Argentinian League... so naturally, ESPN has him write about an Argentinian national who has played in Russia for a year, and  Portugal for 2.   the bollocks, ESPN.  United aren't owned by the red sox and lebron james, nor do they have the tie in to the Yankees, so, naturally ESPN.

#3622 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,474 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted Yesterday, 01:48 PM

Andy, at this point YOU are an upgrade over smalling.   

:rolling:

Liverpool bringing Baloteli.  He will be big boost to Champs league and title hopes.

Replace one head case (Suarez) for another.