• Please log in to reply
3645 replies to this topic

#51 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:43 PM

is there any arguing after the last two days that the The Premier league is the best in europe?

there's really very little argument about that in general.

Villa and Man City both have legitimate shots at advancing tomorrow in the UEFA Cup. Tottenham needs to overcome a 2-0 defeat by Shaktar Donetsk, but they're on home ground as well.

nervous nervous nervous

#52 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:49 PM

the Italian and Spanish press like to remind the world that they play the beautiful game. fuck them.... and, for the record. FUCK CITY. :)

#53 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:40 PM

Fight, fight where ever you maybe,
We are the boys from the holte army,
And we'll lead you all,
Whoever you maybe,
We'll lead you all to the holte army.
Claret blue army!

We'll never die, we'll never die!
We'll keep the Villa flag, flying high
And Aston Villa will never die!

[ame][/ame]

John Carew, Carew
He's bigger than me or you
He's gonna score 1 or 2
John Carew, Carew!

GO VILLA!!!! BEAT CSKA MOSCOW!!!!

kickoff @ noon, live on ESPN360.com

#54 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:40 PM

nervous nervous nervous

20 min. to kickoff.

#55 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:46 PM

Villa and Copenhagen, FTW. LOVE the Carew song.

Any follow up on MO'Ns sit down with the fans that traveled to Moscow? he was going to consult travelers re: his lineup decisions.. if he doesn't get the top four, press is all ready to kill him over the indecision. (i just haven't looked yet today)

#56 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:07 PM

Villa and Copenhagen, FTW. LOVE the Carew song.

Any follow up on MO'Ns sit down with the fans that traveled to Moscow? he was going to consult travelers re: his lineup decisions.. if he doesn't get the top four, press is all ready to kill him over the indecision. (i just haven't looked yet today)

they haven't mentioned it through the usual circuits.

i'd imagine we won't hear much until after today's results are final.

#57 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:12 PM

Villa wearing all-whites today!!! It's helping them blend in with the snowbanks at the sides of the pitch in Moscow.

both sides cautious early, but CSKA with the first real chance, Zhirkov's cross gobbled up by Guzan.

#58 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:55 PM

0-0 at the half. Villa's done well to keep the Russkis off the sheet, as the pitch was decidedly slanted towards their goalkeeper.

Gardner scored from what was deemed an offsides position, so it was disallowed. replays showed it was very close, and almost certainly would've gone the other way at Villa Park.

Vagner Love immediately countered with a gorgeous end-to-end effort but his left-footer went a meter wide of the right post, clearly having beaten Guzan.

they're going to come out a house afire. CSKA knows they only need keep the clean sheet to advance - this should be a wild 2nd half.

#59 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:20 PM

Zhirkov fires home off of a free kick. 1-0 for CSKA Moscow.

Villa needs the equalizer now, just to force extra time.

#60 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:57 PM

Vagner Love adds a goal in the 90th minute and 2-0 to the home team, who advance in the UEFA Cup. AVFC is done.

tough to win with the lineup they fielded today - their best finishers all sitting at home, and their best midfielders with 'em.

now it's up to MON to procure a Champions League spot for next year by keeping up their incredible English Premier League season. but it's no lock, and such a disappointment to be out so early in all their Cup competitions.

#61 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:54 PM

If he does finish outside the top 4, he'll be destroyed in the press. 3-0 over Stoke Sunday is the ONLY result.

I still applaud the tough decision. The great managers make them, and stick with them. I'm worried about his wavering yesterday but I support him, excellent manager.

#62 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:18 PM

If he does finish outside the top 4, he'll be destroyed in the press. 3-0 over Stoke Sunday is the ONLY result.

I still applaud the tough decision. The great managers make them, and stick with them. I'm worried about his wavering yesterday but I support him, excellent manager.

they're two wins ahead of 5th-place Arsenal, and just one win behind 2nd-place Liverpool. 11 points shy of Man U, however. i don't see them raising the Premiership cup :lol: at least not this year...

...it'd be an absolute failure (the kind that costs a gaffer his work) for Villa not to earn CL status for 09-10. i have confidence in the boys and MON.

#63 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:28 PM

noone touches United this year. I'm actively supporting Villa, right along side of you... PLEASE don't use "Man U".

From talking reds:

The origin of "Man.U." is a song to insult the dead Duncan Edwards.
Liverpool and Leeds fans copied this with their own man you /u versions to insult all of the lads who died at munich:
"Man .U. Man .U. went on a plane Man .U. Man .U. never came back again"
or
"Man .U. Never Intended Coming Home" (if you combine the first letter of each word you get the word "munich").

I wouldn't really care, and I'd expect it, if I wasn't pulling for your boys as well. ;)

#64 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:11 PM

noone touches United this year. I'm actively supporting Villa, right along side of you... PLEASE don't use "Man U".

From talking reds:

The origin of "Man.U." is a song to insult the dead Duncan Edwards.
Liverpool and Leeds fans copied this with their own man you /u versions to insult all of the lads who died at munich:
"Man .U. Man .U. went on a plane Man .U. Man .U. never came back again"
or
"Man .U. Never Intended Coming Home" (if you combine the first letter of each word you get the word "munich").

I wouldn't really care, and I'd expect it, if I wasn't pulling for your boys as well. ;)

DRIVE A PORSCHE HEXTALL but in British football terms. check.

Man Utd. is the best i can give you, at least until Villa is mathematically eliminated from the Premiership title. :lol:

#65 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:19 PM

ANYTHING other than that, and we're good. :thumbup:

#66 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:30 PM

Prem matches to start in 15 minutes. w00t.

WEDNESDAY'S GAMES
Blackburn v Everton 2000 GMT
Fulham v Hull 2000 GMT
Man City v Aston Villa 1945 GMT
Newcastle v Man Utd 1945 GMT
Stoke v Bolton 1945 GMT
Tottenham v Middlesbrough 2000 GMT
Wigan v West Ham 1945 GMT

all the asshole teams played yesterday :-P

#67 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:38 PM

i bet you're REALLY pulling for Villa today, Jme!

#68 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:15 PM

oh yeah.... not a good start for the Villans. Milner having to make tackles in the box is not a good sign.

and Van Der Sar's streak is over... but Rooney leveled shortly after.

#69 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:17 PM

DISASTER!!! Barry takes down Elano in the box, and it's 1-0 for City.

#70 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:20 PM

ah barry... bbc was saying milner. either way, it's certainly a disaster

#71 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:23 PM

ah barry... bbc was saying milner. either way, it's certainly a disaster

Paul Brown at AVFC live text called it on Barry.

i tend to trust Mr. Brown, and he listed the foul first, then the booking, then the goal. twice he said Barry.

makes me wanna go home and rip his name off my kit :lol:

#72 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:35 PM

at HT:

Manchester City 1-0 AVFC
Newcastle U 1-1 Manchester U

#73 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:48 PM

FT:

Man. City 2-0 Aston Villa
Newcastle U 1-2 Manchester U.

following their 11-game hot streak, Villa has lost 4 and drawn twice, earning 1 of a possible 6 Premiership points in the process since the controversial decision to rest their starters in Moscow, in effect withdrawing from the UEFA Cup.

Premier League standings (10 to play):

Manchester U. - 65
Chelsea - 58
Liverpool - 58
Aston Villa - 52
Arsenal - 49

#74 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:26 PM

nice.. DST means I'm not late. :lol:

#75 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:28 PM

:lol:

#76 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:35 PM

Can Madrid do 2 at the KOP with a clean sheet? Can Juve get 2 back against Chelsea without conceding? Will Sporting play a clean game?

My first guess is NO to all 3. I'd love to be wrong.

#77 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:42 PM

Can Madrid do 2 at the KOP with a clean sheet?

not impossible. this should be a great match.

Can Juve get 2 back against Chelsea without conceding?

equally not impossible - but i bet Drogba scores what proves to be the clincher in a 1-1 draw.

Will Sporting play a clean game?

not a CHANCE!!!!

gotta go out in style, no?

#78 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:12 PM

The refs forgot their whistles at Anfield again. Ms. Torres drags a defender down kuyt gives it back, and she's got credit for a goal.

at least Juve look the part thus far.

#79 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:22 PM

mystery handball and they get a penatly. what a joke. i suppose it's what Madrid deserve playing as they are.. but now their just handing out penalties. :lol:

#80 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

JUVE does the double on a penalty 2-2... Juve needs one more to equal the away goal

Edited by jme, 10 March 2009 - 09:21 PM.
I can't add

#81 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

JUVE does the double on a penalty 2-2... Juve needs one more to equal the away goal

Drogba's touch sealed it for Chelski.

knew it was comin'.

Liverpool, Chelsea, Villareal, Bayern Munich are through.

who joins them this afternoon?

#82 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:00 PM

I'll be out of the thread for the day... I've got the DVR going on the United Match.

#83 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:24 PM

I'll be out of the thread for the day... I've got the DVR going on the United Match.

i'll be sure to fill it with congrats or condolences for you to find after you watch the DVR.

#84 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:28 PM

right on.... I think I'm heading into NYC on Saturday Morning.. Liverpool at the Theater of Dreams... should be a cracker. 8:45a kickoff. lots of matches to follow at 11.

#85 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:35 PM

Aston Villa will be on Fox Soccer Channel the next two sundays in a row with a pair of live noon (EST) matchups hosting Tottenham and then @ Anfield.

now to convince Feesh to let me show up at his house two Sundays in a row so i can watch 'em on his big ol' screen... :lol:

#86 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:17 AM

Glory Glory Man United,
Glory Glory Man United,
Zlatlan can't play out of Serie A,
and Ballotelli's a cunt,
and the REDS GO MARCHING ON

hey Jose Morinho.. FUCK OFF :jam:

#87 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:18 PM

Iraqi fan kills soccer player during close game
March 16, 2009
CBSSports.com wire reports

BAGHDAD -- Police say an Iraqi soccer player has been shot dead just as he was about to kick what could have been the tying goal in a weekend game south of Baghdad.

Police Maj. Muthanna Khalid says a striker from the Buhairat amateur team was facing only the goalie during a Sunday match in Hillah when a supporter of the rival Sinjar club shot him in the head in the final minute of play.

Sinjar was leading 1-0 when the shooting occurred. Khalid said a spectator was arrested.

More Iraqis are turning out for sports events now that security is improving. Major matches in Baghdad are heavily guarded but security in amateur games in smaller cities is often lax.

Copyright 2009 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Jesus, it's a good thing security is improving!

#88 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,276 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

Wow!

Fulham 2-nil over Man U making it two league losses in a row. Opening the doors to Liverpool and Chelsea. Although Chelsea is losing 1-nil to Tottenham as I type this.

#89 purple cowboy

purple cowboy
  • VibeTribe
  • 919 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:06 PM

Mother effin co-worker just told me the score of the Arsenal/Villareal match I taped.

GRRRRRRRRR I hate that crap.

I heard Chelsea/Liverpool champs league was insane. Have to see if I can catch a replay.

#90 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:40 PM

i've been quiet here for a while as Villa has been quiet, as well. but the ship seems righted and with a laughable schedule ahead of them, and Arsenal having to play Man. United, Chelsea AND Liverpool (in the next 5 weeks), they may still earn that CL spot. speaking of...

...any surprise that England AGAIN sends 3 teams to the Champions League Semifinals? Man. United gets my nod for team of the last round, as Porto had them dead to rights and they simply played the best 90 minutes of football we'll see all year today. a well earned 1-0 win.

#91 purple cowboy

purple cowboy
  • VibeTribe
  • 919 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:21 AM

The Arsenal are playing really well since Fabregas has come back and Adebayor is turning into a classy striker imo. That is going to be a great semi-final I think it might come down to who's fit and who's injured.

#92 purple cowboy

purple cowboy
  • VibeTribe
  • 919 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:23 AM

Iraqi fan kills soccer player during close game
March 16, 2009
CBSSports.com wire reports

BAGHDAD -- Police say an Iraqi soccer player has been shot dead just as he was about to kick what could have been the tying goal in a weekend game south of Baghdad.

Police Maj. Muthanna Khalid says a striker from the Buhairat amateur team was facing only the goalie during a Sunday match in Hillah when a supporter of the rival Sinjar club shot him in the head in the final minute of play.

Sinjar was leading 1-0 when the shooting occurred. Khalid said a spectator was arrested.

More Iraqis are turning out for sports events now that security is improving. Major matches in Baghdad are heavily guarded but security in amateur games in smaller cities is often lax.

Copyright 2009 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Jesus, it's a good thing security is improving!

By the way... this is absolutely insane.

#93 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:21 PM

The Arsenal are playing really well since Fabregas has come back and Adebayor is turning into a classy striker imo. That is going to be a great semi-final I think it might come down to who's fit and who's injured.

I almost wanna reach out an hug the french wanker for his win yesterday.. Arshavin had a four goal haul at Anfield... I'm hoping he gets that all out of his system before next week. and it's SOOOO refreshing to see Benitez eat his hat.. Has any other coach had SUCH poor timing with his comments? that tie yesterday was just as massive as the 4-1 romp they put on United.

And after the last several weeks, Adebayor is going to cause BIG problems for Vidic / Ferd. but Hopefully Anderson goes through a good series of training this weekend, Fletch is still hurt and He can go own FabregASS again. Let him mark, and cover back, let Paul Scholes (he scores the goals) worry about the forward motion. But i do have more of a feeling we'll see carrick until they have a lead. I also think that we may see all 4 on the pitch next week.. Wazza, Berba, Carlito, and Ronny. Best of Luck Mr. Silveste. :lol:

Up Barca... I want the best in Rome... simply put, this season, that's United and Barca.

Anyone see the video of Pepe kicking out TWICE at a player on the ground after he gave away a penalty, yesterday? I can't find it yet. that;'s sure to help lure stars to the Madrid. :lol: fuck them.

Edited by jme, 22 April 2009 - 05:23 PM.
I spell like 'Pool defended yesterday

#94 peloquin17

peloquin17
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:23 PM

PLAY UP POMPEY!!!

#95 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

PLAY UP POMPEY!!!

***crickets***

#96 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:10 PM

Portsmouth midfielder Nico Kranjcar is missing after suffering ankle ligament damage during the 1-0 win over Bolton at the weekend.

game over.

#97 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:12 PM

Pompey team: James, Johnson, Distin, Campbell, Hreidarsson, Davis, Mullins, Hughes, Belhadj, Nugent, Crouch

United team to play Pompey: Van der Sar, Neville, Evra, Vidic, Evans, Anderson, Giggs, Scholes, Fletcher, Ronaldo, Rooney.

#98 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:13 PM

c'mon Chelsea, let's beat Everton today. then i can go back to rooting against you with all i've got, except when you play Arsenal next month. :lol:

#99 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:15 PM

wow, preview of the FA cup final... If Everton takes one from that, where does that leave Villa?? I don't have the table handy.

ps.. I'm going to london for christmas week, this year, and hope the schedule gods are with me.... We are prolly taking a midweek trip to Birmingham. I'm also hoping that Fulham are home on Boxing Day since we can walk from my "mate's" "flat"

#100 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

wow, preview of the FA cup final... If Everton takes one from that, where does that leave Villa?? I don't have the table handy.

ps.. I'm going to london for christmas week, this year, and hope the schedule gods are with me.... We are prolly taking a midweek trip to Birmingham. I'm also hoping that Fulham are home on Boxing Day since we can walk from my "mate's" "flat"

Everton is two back. a draw puts them one back. a win puts them one in front.

Villa is 9 clear of West Ham, so it's not like they're falling to 7th. More disappointingly, they're 8 behind Arsenal now, making the odds VERY long that they'll be able to overtake the Gunners.

London + Christmastime = perfect time to see a game.