Hey, soccer hooligans

• Please log in to reply
3646 replies to this topic

#1 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:33 PM

hadn't created this one here... it survived like 4 boards and maybe more...

MILAN, hoagie? gosh. I had higher hopes for you.

now I can stop high jacking other threads, and just talk to myself again. w00t

#2 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:34 PM

I'm playing, year-round.

:lol:

#3 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,096 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:35 PM

Yay!! I love this thread. :) thank you.

#4 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:35 PM

good call. i didn't feel right making this thread, but i'm glad to have it back in our lives.

Hoagie likes Beckham's ass. that's all.

#5 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:36 PM

theres too much going on for me to keep up with footballers. I love the international game though. the american game is rubbish.

#6 peloquin17

peloquin17
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:38 PM

Posted Image

#7 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

I'm playing, year-round.

and you haven't broken yet?? very well done sir.

agreed on the american game... until the format changes I just can't get interested.. Baseball & football SUCK.. get the american soccer game OUTSIDE of the idea of 'playoffs'. noone else does it.. americanizing the game has NEVER worked.. the biggest fans don't want it, and can go everywhere else to get what they want

wouldn't it have been better to see the Sounders be promoted this season, and the LA galaxy relegated as opposed to a an expansion draft weakening every team?? i think the sport would be better for it.. all the euro players coming over say the same thing. wtf did redbull deserve to be in that final appearance?? winning 1/3 of your matches? it's shit, really.

and please MLS, keep out of the Beckham business... he sucks, LA sucks, and his only real impact on american soccer will be his training academies.. and to date I'm not sure of the success.

#8 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:47 PM

Posted Image

oh man... they are in a WORLD of shit.. I can't find an article ai read the other day describing how the president and the owners have basically ruined their momentum at the highest point of the club's life.

they just sacked their 2nd coach of the year last week, and are fighting hard not to be relegated.

#9 peloquin17

peloquin17
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:49 PM

oh man... they are in a WORLD of shit.. I can't find an article ai read the other day describing how the president and the owners have basically ruined their momentum at the highest point of the club's life.

they just sacked their 2nd coach of the year last week, and are fighting hard not to be relegated.

yup. they're really doing shitty right now.

they're playing man city tomorrow.

#10 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:52 PM

I wouldnt say not broken, exactly....

I had the worst pulled quad of my life that lasted about two months (still played though cause pain dont hurt), my knees are screwed, I have been limping for 5 months, recently over a crazy calf bruise from the crazy mexican indoor team we played where the one dude motioned that he was going to decapitate me :lol: and I have two black toe nails that are falling off.

other than that and the day or two after games that I can barely walk, I've been fine.

#11 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:07 PM

good god man!!! are you playing soccer, or curling?

Fulham is getting it taken to them at Swansea today. 1-1 and the Cottagers have had 2 scoring chances at best. Swansea deserve this one.

This is the first match I'm checking out on justin.tv.. not bad.

http://www.justin.tv/luxe14

#12 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:35 PM

interesting. all four early FA Cup matches were draws.

Wonder if Chelski will suffer the same fate?

#13 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:23 PM

unfortunately not... and it looks like Everton is taking to the villans. They need to worry about the PREM as it is, anyway.

Coventry got themselves areply at home, but they deserved to win that match. and too bad for Swansea, although Fulham may even have a hard time with them at the Cottage. can't wait for that replay.. I really hope Swamnsea get the promotion... they really take the game to you.

10 minutes until Church. Come on you REDS.

#14 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:15 PM

yeah, another Cup down the tubes for AVFC. :cry: they weren't necessarily outplayed, but the big boots were silent for the better part of the afternoon. no way to win an away tie.

bigger fish to fry this week - CSKA Moscow @ Villa Park (we need a shutout win to make the road leg of the UEFA Cup round easier), then Chelski over the weekend. that's gotta be MON's focus, so they can keep up the Champions League push.

and Nani has put the Red Devils up 1-0 at the half.

#15 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

er...2-0, that is. dammit Gibson. :lol:

#16 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,462 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:26 PM

I was glad Fulham got through after being out played on the road. Hopefully they can move on with a home win in the replay.

I would like to see them at least play in the Final.

#17 cjtpaint

cjtpaint
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:23 AM

http://www.ccsublued...&ATCLID=3659797
my kid is the keeper

#18 deadhead831

deadhead831
  • VibeTribe
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:48 AM

glad to see there some other footie fans on here. for a minute i was worried i was the only one :lol: . united supporter since 98 myself. we had a great game today against a pretty stale derby side imo. and looks like we drew the winner of swansea v. fulham which either way should be an easy win into the semis

life is good when your top of the table and you can watch the shit show down below :devil:

#19 stylzing

stylzing
  • VibeTribe
  • 713 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:08 AM

want soccer to change in US..? Volunteer and coach youth soccer--get the idiot parents out of there-young soccer savy folks is what is needed-people who play and love the game--I'm coaching u-12 this spring with another kid on a u-10 team-

espn streak for the cash--pick 27 in a row for a million $$--every morning one of the choices is always european foot ball they vary leagues and divisions--most people stay away from these choices- I love it getting me back into following Football
this morning's choice German 2 Bundesliga: What will be the match result- SC Freiburg Win or Hansa Rostock Win --I picked Freiburg

#20 lost-in-boston

lost-in-boston
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

this is what i think of when I think Hooligans :funny1:

[ame][/ame]

#21 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:43 PM

I would like to see them at least play in the Final.

so much for that idea. IF they get through a fun Swansea side, facing United is a pothole on the road to wembley.

#22 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:03 PM

how about some footy drama.... this one's for Josh (all in good fun, my man)

You're trapped in a room with a Lion, Cobra snake and an Arsenal Fan. You have a gun with two bullets. What should you do?

#23 peloquin17

peloquin17
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:05 PM

im good friends with an arsenal fan, so...

if he recently went to the ATM, he's eating the bullet.

#24 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:06 PM

ah, it's an easy one.... Shoot the Arsenal fan, twice!!

#25 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:13 PM

First knockout round (bolded matches LIVE on ESPN2 2:30 start, 2:45 kickoff - Deportes, Classic @ 4:30, and ESPN360 have lots of others)

Today:
Atl

#26 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:37 PM

day after tomorrow:
CSKA Moscow-Aston Villa (for passage to the round of 16)

i'll be watching THAT one on ESPN360.

#27 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:46 PM

MON is sitting 8 first team players... his press release this morning indicates they are most concerned about the top 4, and rightfully so. If they even draw away I'd be amazed.

Don't skip on all these ties though... there is talent abound in every match.

I'm torn on the Lyon/Barca match..
On one hand I'd like to see Lyon lose since benzema wants to leave if they don't progress, and SAF fancies the french international.
On the other hand i'd LOVE to see Barca lose, or have a tough go of it and their last several La Liga performances have been sub-par, including the loss to Espanynol.

#28 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:58 PM

MON is sitting 8 first team players... his press release this morning indicates they are most concerned about the top 4, and rightfully so. If they even draw away I'd be amazed.

i'd love to catch some of the Champions League action, but i'm at work, so i have to choose my battles with regard to how much football i'm watching. :lol:

Guzan can blank the Red Army boys. Harewood and Carew are quite capable up front, and the Fonz has done a great job for most of the season ('cept for an own-goal back in the FA Cup, which he made amends for moments later).

If Villa can sneak one in, it's theirs. Don't discount MON's men, his 2nd-stringers seem to perform when they know they're all that's left.

and i really love Carew. Don't let MON fool you...he expects to come out of this game with a round-of-16 date.

#29 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

Harewood??? capable??? ok, now you're drinking the cool aid. :P

we'll see... calling the top 4 the Holy Grail, and sending out the squad players on a cold night in Moscow doesn't seem to be a ringing endorsement for a push to a win. Could be mind games, but I haven't seen him play too many of them yet. I'd imagine he could give squad players time this weekend with Stoke coming to town, if the Cup were priority.

They may sneak one in, but who's playing centre-half ?? Davies, and Knight are in the squad, but neither is full fitness, rite? I don't doubt that Moscow will score. I don't like Guzan in Moscow, but we'll see.

http://soccernet.esp...=europe&cc=5901

#30 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:26 PM

Harewood??? capable??? ok, now you're drinking the cool aid. :P

we'll see... calling the top 4 the Holy Grail, and sending out the squad players on a cold night in Moscow doesn't seem to be a ringing endorsement for a push to a win. Could be mind games, but I haven't seen him play too many of them yet. I'd imagine he could give squad players time this weekend with Stoke coming to town, if the Cup were priority.

They may sneak one in, but who's playing centre-half ?? Davies, and Knight are in the squad, but neither is full fitness, rite? I don't doubt that Moscow will score. I don't like Guzan in Moscow, but we'll see.

http://soccernet.esp...=europe&cc=5901

the sister article on that page has MON blasting Zico's criticism of the Ashley Young attack plan. you don't think he'd thoroughly enjoy (and isn't going to try) beating CSKA outright on their home pitch with the squad boys?

2 for Carew. And don't discount Harewood. He may be 5th on the Villa depth chart, but that's because they got strength up front.

#31 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:55 PM

to a point, Zico's right :P it's the ronaldo approach: run as fast as i can, fall down, and throw my hands in the air. if not, i get off a cross or a shot :P He knows he's better when the ball is still. :P

But they do go through petrov, and milner as well... and with 2 towers up front it's a solid tactic to get it in, in the air.

and Harewood was top choice at West Ham.. that alone means he's an also ran with little to give but his trademark smirk. that guy is rubbish in england let alone 14 below in Moscow.

I do want them to win, BUT I also want them in the top 4 more than anything. omg to have Arsenal looking up at the CL.. what a day that will be. they'll lose anyone on that squad over 18 years old. lol

#32 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:13 PM

I do want them to win, BUT I also want them in the top 4 more than anything. omg to have Arsenal looking up at the CL.. what a day that will be. they'll lose anyone on that squad over 18 years old. lol

you know that's my season's wish, as well.

the team charter actually reads that the ultimate goal of every Aston Villa squad is to bring home another European Championship (and they're not talking about the last-ever UEFA Cup).

#33 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:55 PM

i hear ya... that's why top 4 is much more important.. and getting the squad players out there gives them a glimpse of the atmosphere. all in all we see that CL is the goal... up Villa.

#34 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:43 PM

FT Arsenal 1 - 0 AS Roma
FT Atletico Madrid 2 - 2 FC Porto
FT Inter Milan 0 - 0 Manchester U.
FT Lyon 1 - 1 Barcelona

Arsenal in the driver's seat against a weakened Roma side. Porto, as well.

Man U. needs to win the return outright. a draw at home is useless unless Van der Sar keeps up the clean sheet. as for Lyon and Barca, that should be the best return of the set.

#35 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,462 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:05 PM

More importantly,
Fulham come from 1 nil down with two goals in the last 25 minutes, and one by my boy Clint Dempsey.

Now if they can just get past Man U.

What good year for Fulham so far. 10 points clear of relagation. Sitting 7th in the table on the verge of Europe play for next season. And now advance to the quarter finals of the FA cup.

Is that right, is the next round the Quarter Finals?

#36 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:34 AM

Dempsey has had some big goals this year (chelsea). YES, the next round of FA is the quarter final. United are going to London, yeah?

Amazing that they are sitting that high in the Prem, but they've got a good gaffer!!! What's your thoughts on the Bullard transfer? Cult favorite with the cottager supporters for a long time, wanted the money, and now he's out.. wanker :P

now onto the CL... Inter was nothing without their keeper today.
United squandered too many chances, and that may come back to bite them in the ass. Evra was awesome today!! I was NOT HAPPY with Berba's performance.. coming too deep, one step slow on the rushes toward goal. Ceasar didn't even SEE that last shot by Ronaldo.. his body just got in the way.. Unlucky today, as it always is in Italy.

Seeing how well Evans played, I think they can keep it clean at home with Vidic back in. Scholes, Rooney and Tevez will feature.

ugh arsneal penalty at home?? they prolly ran the show, but again, they can't finish unless gifted the opportunity.

Edited by jme, 25 February 2009 - 01:37 AM.
didn't realize FA replays were today. durr

#37 cjtpaint

cjtpaint
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:40 AM

My daughter is the keeper for CCSU. Full boat baby.

#38 Occifer Boland

Occifer Boland
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,666 posts
  • LocationHazlet, NJ

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:28 AM

wow.. chelsea-juventus!! can't wait. Juve is my father-in-law's fav. team. But what i am starting to get excited for is April 1st!!! Italy/Ireland world cup qualifier.. for 10 years i have been getting shit from my italian in-laws.. always being called Mc.. and all the other irish jokes.. So far.. italy and ireland are tied for first place in their group.. As long as my boy Robbie Keane is on point. and the rest of ireland's young squad can handle the italians.. i can have some pride!!! lol.

#39 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:57 AM

wow.. chelsea-juventus!! can't wait. Juve is my father-in-law's fav. team. But what i am starting to get excited for is April 1st!!! Italy/Ireland world cup qualifier.. for 10 years i have been getting shit from my italian in-laws.. always being called Mc.. and all the other irish jokes.. So far.. italy and ireland are tied for first place in their group.. As long as my boy Robbie Keane is on point. and the rest of ireland's young squad can handle the italians.. i can have some pride!!! lol.

all they are going to do is play defense, and hope to fall down in the right area at the right time.. Being coached by an Italian these days only helps Ireland. Trapattoni can make a difference

While Keano will be important, O'Shea and Dunne will be important in the center of defense. Finnan to boot, and can't recall who plays the other fullback spot.
I think they can handle Toni. If Given plays with the same energy that's he had with Man City, he will also play pretty well. AND that he's been playing behind Dunne at City, also helps that relationship.

In the midfield there is also VAST improvement.. Duff and Mcgeady on the outside.. Hunt/Gibson/Miller/Keogh in the middle of the pitch, and they're all playing in the Premeir league. They are still VERY out matched by Italy there, but perhaps they match the 5 italian midfeilders with 5 of their own.. again Trapattoni is the key here. How he uses Doyle between the strikers and the forwards may be a key as well.

for the first time in years, they do stand a chance, a real chance of winning, at least at Croke Park.

OLE, OLE, OLE, OLE, O-LE, O-LE!!!!
for the celts, for the celts.

#40 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,462 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:26 PM

Who cares about Bullard, he was in the way of Dempsey early in the season for playing time.

Dempsey has had some big goals. His goal last year was the winning goal that kept them in the Premiership.

Man U at Craven Cottage. I can still see the pitch here so clearly in my memory. What a game to go to if you are a supporter.

A coworker who lives and works in our London office said that many people from London get season tickets to Fulham matches as they are one of the cheapest tickets in the Premiership. Plus the stadium is in a great location right on the water, and it is nicely tucked into a neighborhood.

#41 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:35 PM

I've heard that from my friend who moved there last summer. He decided to be a chelsea supporter while there for work... I could kill him :-p but it's good for the rivalry talk.

I might be going to London for Christmas this year, and it's the Cottage I want to go. it'll be difficult as hell to get to Manchester for a day in the middle of a week long trip, with 3 others who don't even understand how much I fancy United. :lol:

That FA tie is gonna be Saturday March 7th... 2:15pm. Any chances you're heading to the city??

Chelsea's up already on a probable offsides from a Lampard dummy. 30 seconds after Drogba rolls around the floor like a child he puts it in and celebrates with jumps, a dash to the corner.... wanker. i hate him almost as much as some of the 90's dallas cowboys.. UGH.

Bayern gets their away goal... if they hold off Sporting that tie is toast going back to Munich.

#42 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:40 PM

I have been watching Juventus/Chelsea on ESPN2. I can't beleive Del Piero is still around.

#43 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:42 PM

i hate Chelsea, and i hate Drogba worse than any of them.

#44 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:49 PM

how's the flow to the match? It reads like the Italians are on the back foot.

was Lampard really in an offsides position on the goal?

DelPiero & Nedved on that squad Combined 70 years old (nedved's 2 years older than Del Piero)

#45 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:57 PM

how's the flow to the match? It reads like the Italians are on the back foot

Choppy. Chelsea is controlling for most part though

#46 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:57 PM

how's the flow to the match? It reads like the Italians are on the back foot.

was Lampard really in an offsides position on the goal?

DelPiero & Nedved on that squad Combined 70 years old (nedved's 2 years older than Del Piero)

yes.

and yes.

#47 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:10 PM

yes.

and yes.

ugh, and ugh.

#48 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:28 PM

Munich has just scored their 4th of the match. 0-4, Sporting Lisbon might as well phone in the return.

yikes.

Liverpool jumped on top of Read Madrid 1-0, as well. if that holds, the Reds may hold a massive advantage taking it back to Anfield.

#49 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:37 PM

good for them, they may actually win something :P

was Torres able to leave the field on his own? and what's gotten into Yossi? he's playing top drawer right now.

is there any arguing after the last two days that the The Premier league is the best in europe?

#50 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

FT Chelsea 1 - 0 Juventus
FT Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool
FT Sporting Lisbon 0 - 5 Bayern Munich
FT Villarreal 1 - 1 Panathinaikos

Liverpool and Munich have put themselves in fantastic position to advance simply by drawing on their home pitch. Chelsea also set to get the job done if they can draw or better at Juventus.

But it's gonna be a crazy game in Greece next week.

hey, best of all...only 19 hours and change 'til the claret and blue take on the red and blue for UEFA advancement. i'm nervous, so i'll wear my kit tomorrow.