Photo

Suggestions for our first anniversary dinner in Boston.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 suburbanite84

suburbanite84
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:00 PM

My wife and I will be spending the weekend of October 13th in Boston and I'm looking for a nice place to take her for dinner on Sunday, which is our actual anniversary.  It doesn't have to be upscale, just delicious food. 

I think we will be visiting with a friend on Saturday and doing some touristy stuff like the trolley tour and the like.

We are staying at a Marriott in Cambridge but it doesn't have to be right near the hotel.  

Is it bad that we want to get back to the hotel by 9 for the new Walking Dead?  It is Sunday after all and have to drive back to Rochester the next morning.  

We have only been to Boston once and spent most of the weekend near Quincy Market, the aquarium and a harbor cruise with Ryan Montbleau. 

Any other suggestions for fun stuff to do would be appreciated as well.

Thanks. 

#2 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,316 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

You're in luck my friend.  You're staying a short walk from what I feel is the best overall dining experience in Greater Boston.  Hungry Mother in Cambridge.  

http://hungrymothercambridge.com/

I sold fine meats to the best chefs in the city for a few years and most would say that Hungry Mother is where they go to eat.  Incredible food, very affordable, comfortable unpretentious environment.  It's Southern inspired cuisine using all local and seasonal ingredients, but prepared with a nod to French technique. 

Their dress code says it all:  please wear clothing, proper attire not required

Boston Magazine finally agreed with me this year and gave it the top ranking in the city for General Excellence.

http://www.bostonmag...ungry-mother-5/

Hungry Mother is also the two time defending champ of Munch Madness from boston.com

http://www.boston.co...h_madness/2013/

Another great thing about where you're staying is that you're also stumbling distance from the best beer bar in the city and one of the best in the country; Lord Hobo.

http://lordhobo.com/

#3 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:13 PM

^^^^^ Have yet to go to the above but i hear it Rocks!! :jam:

Depends what you want imo here is the best Thai 2 locations one in Cambridge.

http://www.brownsugarcafe.com/

Get the Brown sugar ribs......2 orders :wink:

Killer Italian............. http://www.restaurantdante.com/

Good food and great beer with great music........... http://www.atwoodstavern.com/

#4 suburbanite84

suburbanite84
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:52 PM

Hungry Mother was one of the few websites I had looked at from a quick google search. 

We will have to check it out. 

We may have to make it a quick pit stop if we go to Lord Hobo (I planted a seed in her belly) although she is the one that suggested the Sam Adams brewery. 

Thanks for the starting point so far.

#5 suburbanite84

suburbanite84
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

The other question was, is there a good website for activities in Boston? 

Rochester has www.freetime.com that has concerts, sporting events, craft fairs, seasonal stuff.

#6 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,316 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

If you're going to do a Brewery tour, I'd recommend Harpoon over Sam Adams.  

For one, they have better beer; for two, it's in a much better part of town with other things to do and places to see within walking distance.  Harpoon is right down on the waterfront where there are loads of restaurants, parks, the Harbor walk, museums, etc.   Sam Adams is out in Roxbury; not exactly a great neighborhood.  Nothing to do there but go to the Brewery.

#7 suburbanite84

suburbanite84
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:00 PM

Yea, and I have done the Saranac and a tiny one in rochester called Custom Brewcrafters so I am in no rush to do another brewery tour. 

For a bunch of strangers you guys are always good for help when needed. 

Great suggestion on Harpoon. 

#8 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,717 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

If you're going to do a Brewery tour, I'd recommend Harpoon over Sam Adams.  

For one, they have better beer; for two, it's in a much better part of town with other things to do and places to see within walking distance.  Harpoon is right down on the waterfront where there are loads of restaurants, parks, the Harbor walk, museums, etc.   Sam Adams is out in Roxbury; not exactly a great neighborhood.  Nothing to do there but go to the Brewery.

i was totally just going to post that :thup:

#9 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,808 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

Hong Kong Eatery :thup:

#10 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,717 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

Hong Kong Eatery :thup:

better for lunch in my experience :wink:

and not terribly romantic unless you are really turned on by yummy cheap food :drool: and doomed fish swimming in tanks :lol:

#11 suburbanite84

suburbanite84
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:45 PM

We are by no means fancy or rich folk so I will definitely keep that in mind.  Maybe not for Sunday nights dinner but Saturday lunch maybe. 

#12 matty

matty
  • VibeTribe
  • 916 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:49 AM

Sam Adams brewery is in Jamaica Plain. Can walk there from my house. Some nano-breweries to look up and visit are Trillium, Night Shift, and Idle Hands. All of those are better than Sam Adams and Harpoon. Trillium isn't too far from Harpoon, and the other two are literal neighbors in Revere. (A real short drive, can also get there from T but I think it involves bus). Though, if you're in Cambridge you should check out the Cambridge Brewing Company. Also excellent beer and good food.

#13 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,808 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:52 AM

better for lunch in my experience :wink:
and not terribly romantic unless you are really turned on by yummy cheap food :drool: and doomed fish swimming in tanks :lol:

I love you, dear sweet innocent Dee.

#14 matty

matty
  • VibeTribe
  • 916 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:00 AM

If you've done Saranac Brewing tour, that's a great one. Harpoon is sort of similar, but without all the history. Sam Adams is cool. They don't brew much volume there. It's where they brew up the specials and experimentals. A decent restaurant right in the Ssm Adams brewery complex is the Bella Luna. Stony Brook stop on the Orange line.

Some decent food near Harpoon Brewery. Good seafood. But be careful,in that neighborhood some places are way overpriced. Avoid the Barking Crab!

By Trillium is a fantastic place for brunch - Lucky's Lounge. It can be hard to find at first, there is no sign out front.

The one time I was at Lord Hobo it was super busy. And service was meh. Young crowd,hipsters.

#15 matty

matty
  • VibeTribe
  • 916 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:02 AM

Also in Cambridge is Atwoods Tavern. Great beer list and fancy pub fare. Sometimes live music. It can get busy on weekends.

#16 matty

matty
  • VibeTribe
  • 916 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:03 AM

What type of food, atmosphere, and budget are you thinking of for anniversary dinner?

#17 matty

matty
  • VibeTribe
  • 916 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:10 AM

If you do go to Sam Adams, hop on the trolly and ride to Doyle's. It's been there since 1870 or 1890 or so. Historic and local. They have some deal with the brewery for a free beer or pint glass or something. There is better food to be found, but it is good bar/comfort food. They've filmed a few movied and tv shows there.

#18 matty

matty
  • VibeTribe
  • 916 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:13 AM

If you like museums the Museum of Science and the Boston MFA are excellent.

If the weather is nice, go on the Duck Tour. It's worth doing once.

#19 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,808 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:15 AM

Matty's at like 5!~ :lol:

#20 matty

matty
  • VibeTribe
  • 916 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:19 AM

Scratch what I said earlier about Lord Hobo. I was meaning that about Deep Ellum. Lord Hobo is great! Though when I was there it was on a birthday where we started at Meadhall, then to Cambridge Brewing Company for dinner, and then to Lord Hobo...

#21 suburbanite84

suburbanite84
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:52 AM

As far as the anniversary dinner (well, the whole weekend really)  We're not looking to break the bank.  As I said, we have a kid on the way.  Although, I was able to get a fantastic deal on the room so I wouldn't be opposed to springing for one pricey meal. 

#22 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,268 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:05 AM

I like Davide on Commercial St. Widely acknowledged as the best Italian food in Boston, and that's saying something! Google it.

#23 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,717 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

I love you, dear sweet innocent Dee.

i didnt say *I* didnt find it romantic, cuz i do :lol:

what is more of a turn on than ridiculously cheap and yummy chinese food? :D :dunno:

#24 Chip

Chip
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

Dali

http://www.daliresta...menu-tapas.html

#25 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,268 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

Dali

Memories of waiting until like the end of fucking time and then still getting turned away. :lol:

#26 Chip

Chip
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

You need to show up at 6pm or good luck.

#27 matty

matty
  • VibeTribe
  • 916 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

Got on a map today, had to remind myself where is the Marriott. You are walking distance to Cambridge Brewing Company. Great beer brewed on site and good food. Meadhall is right On same block as your hotel and has a massive beer list. The Friendly Toast (good breakfast) is nearby. I haven't been there but have heard many people say great things. Also right at your hotel is a Legal Seafoods. If you like vegetarian must check out Clover Food Lab.

You can also walk to Museum of Science. On Friday and Saturday at MoS they have a planetarium show with soundtrack by Ghosts of Jupiter (Nate Wilson etc). I've heard it's great.

More towards Central Square is Miracle of Science (good pub food) and Middle East (live music and middle eastern food).

For a nice anniversary dinner I know two places near Harvard Square. Ten Tables has a location there (we've been to the one in jamaica plain for special occasions). You'll need to make a reservation well in advance. Also take a look at Henrietta's Table. Excellent food and service.

Lots of good asian options all over Boston. If you want to sample a bunch of different styles all at once check out the food court at Super 88, near BU where Comm Ave splits into Comm Ave and Brighton Ave.

#28 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,717 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:19 PM

Dali

that place is so romantic

i want to go there so badly :smile:

#29 Chip

Chip
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:50 PM

We went the other day, but at 6:15 or so, and it had a lot of people.

#30 suburbanite84

suburbanite84
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:17 PM

Ok, sounds like we've got plenty of options for food and even activities.  Our friend we are visiting will have been living there a few months by then too so he might have some as well but he is a little west in (by looking at a map by memory) maybe Brighton. 

#31 suburbanite84

suburbanite84
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

Thank you guys so much.  It's so hard finding good things, especially in bigger cities, just by the old google search.  Hard to trust reviews because I always feel like the really good ones were written by the people that work there and the bad by people who got jilted over something little.

#32 matty

matty
  • VibeTribe
  • 916 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:42 AM

Let us know how it goes! :-)

#33 suburbanite84

suburbanite84
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:37 PM

So, this is the weekend. 

Tomorrow morning kicks it off at the doctors where I get to hear my first childs heartbeat again. (We'll find out the sex next month.) 

Spending the night at the in-laws near Saratoga and dropping off the dog. 

Meeting our friend for lunch on Saturday in Cambridge at Lord Hobo (thanks DeadHeadSkier) after a tour of the Taza Chocolate Factory. 

Will probably do the duck boat tour and see if we can get in at Dali (Thanks Chip). 

Couldn't find much for night time online so hopefully he knows of something.  Only thing I could find was a punk band called The Men or Ian Anderson. 

Sunday we'll do brunch somewhere and then just relax.  Maybe the Science museum, something nice for dinner and back at the hotel for Zombies at 9.  (It is Sunday after all)

#34 Chip

Chip
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:15 PM

Dali has a sister restaurant on Newbury St. Downtown Boston called Tapeo, it is ok, but has more a Newbury Street college waitstaff vibe not a crazy Catalonian Spain vibe that Dali does well.   But it is easier to get into.

Basically the same menu, I like the Lomito al Cabralas and wing it from there.

http://www.tapeo.com/

#35 CTMuleman

CTMuleman
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:26 PM

There will be Red Sox games Saturday & Sunday.  Expect the city to be charged up for those.

#36 suburbanite84

suburbanite84
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:16 AM

Oh, shit.  Thanks for the heads up. 

#37 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,717 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:16 AM

There will be Red Sox games Saturday & Sunday.  Expect the city to be charged up for those.

this times infinity!
 :crazy:

#38 matty

matty
  • VibeTribe
  • 916 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:25 AM

Lyle and Jason playing at Atwoods on Saturday afternoon?