Tumour Or...?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:59 AM

We found a large-ish lump on Pogo today, just behind her left elbow. She had chewed at it, and it was bleeding. We have a vet appointment for tomorrow morning... She has already survived cancer once, I am really hoping she doesn't have to battle it again.

Trying to stay away from looking it up on the intenet, b/c the ones I have all seen thus far that resemble what she has do not have a good prognosis. :cry1:

I hope I have better news tomorrow after we visit with the vet.

#2 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,543 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:00 AM

:heart:

#3 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:04 AM

I'm real sad and scared for her... I don't think tonight is going to be an easy one.

Please let tomorrow's news be good.

#4 Rayzeeday

Rayzeeday
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:20 AM

Lots of love and all digits crossed for Pogo from our house in Maine. I have lost three ferrets to adrenal gland disorder and one to cancer. One of them lasted two more years after her first bout with AGD. There is always more hope than we realize and a lot of it comes from your companions love and trust for you. Nookie, my ferret who died of cancer lived six months longer than expected and only went when we put him down due to the pain he was in. We were told this two weeks after he passed by our vet at the time Dr. Jay Gould who performed the autopsy on him out of curiosity. In other words believe in the medicine not always found in bottles because thats the medicine that triggers the others to work. Love and Peace Ray:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

#5 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:29 PM

Thank you both. :heart:

Pogo is in good health - she has lots of energy and eats/drinks well, is playful, etc... So I am hoping that is a good sign that this is something that can just be removed and she can go on being happy and healthy. Our appointment is at 12:20 today, so I am trying to keep a positive outlook for that. I think the fact that she is chewing at the bump is the sign that it needs to go. We gave her some pain medication from a pervious surgery and cleaned/dressed the bump last night and she slept well. Now she is up here on the sofa chilling with me. I really hope to return with some good news later on today.

#6 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:45 PM

Thank doG we got some good news today... Pogo is going to have the lump removed and biopsied on Monday morning... Just have to keep her from chewing it these next two days... Antibiotics and TLC, I am so relieved that this puppy should turn out alright!!! :cur:

#7 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:25 PM

(((POGO))) be well!

#8 sillyolbear

sillyolbear
  • VibeTribe
  • 449 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:06 AM

Baker had a blueish mole kinda thing on his thigh for awile. When I noticed it I brought him to the vet and He said it was a type of cyst, dry but was blood filled. Had it biopsied Nothing to worry about, just cosmetic if I wanted it removed.Last year it started to grow, and grow, and grow. Started out as a pencil eraser size blue mole.turned into a golf ball sized scary looking thing. Had it removed last month with the tiniest scar.

Everything will be ok, no worries

#9 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:34 PM

Thanks Bear - I was so relieved that they can remove this and that it does not appear cancerous. Given her history with cancer, it was hard not to go there when I saw that lump... And looking things up on the internet, sheesh, that is never a good idea when it comes to things like this, I should have known better!

I will report back once she is out of the surgery on Monday, it's really hard not to imagine having her loving energy in my life on a daily basis, I am so happy that she is still going to be strong and healthy!

#10 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:27 AM

best of luck for Pogo tomorrow..and Atticus and Finch send their kitty vibes too :heart:

#11 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,444 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:32 AM

sending positive thoughts! :heart:

#12 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,534 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:17 PM

(((Pogo))) That's one awesome pup. So glad to hear it's nothing major!

#13 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,863 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:17 PM

Swift healing Pogo! We love you! :heart:

#14 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:36 PM

Thanks guys - Pogo Puppy is dropped off at the vet's and we will be able to pick her up tonight around 4pm.

:heart: ((((Pogo Puppy Vibes)))) :heart:

#15 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,863 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:23 PM

Keep us posted! (((Pogo)))

#16 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:04 PM

So we went to pick up Pogo and as they were preparing her to leave with us, her sutured area started bleeding. They tried staunching it, but it just kept going. The vet said that there must be a ruptured skin vessel, so he had to keep her, put her under a general anesthetic and go back in to make sure everything is all right. We are going to pick her up at 7pm, and everything should be good.

So, that's a bit of a concern, but not much... I will report back tonight once we have her home safe and sound again. :)

#17 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,863 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:29 PM

:heart::heart::heart:

Hang in there Pogo! And you too Lola and Tyler! :heart:

#18 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:57 PM

Thanks Karen! :heart:

Tyler and I were joking about how Pogo wanted to be like me and get surgery too, so she nibbled on that weird lump and t-dah! A week out to the exact day from when I had my surgery! Life is so funny...

We go pick her up in the next hour - fingers crossed that the problem is fixed and she can come home with us tonight. Can't wait to have some puppy love back in the house! :cur:

#19 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:03 PM

I hope Pogo is okay.

#20 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:32 AM

Okay, so Pogo update.

They had to give her a general anesthesia and go back in and make sure everything was okay and that the bleeding had stopped. The vet was cool about it, they didn't charge me any more money, and I know general anesthesias are a big expense - she only had a sedative and local anesthesia for the first surgery that took place this morning.

The lump is going to be biopsied b/c with the weird bleeding, we need to make sure it isn't anything harmful. If the biopsy comes back as questionable, at least they can go in and remove more tissue to ensure that she remain healthy.

She is awake, a little groggy, happy to be home and eating and drinking fine. We picked up some thick fresh hamburger patties and cooked them up for her dinner. She has to wear a "cone of shame" when we can not supervise her, and she doesn't like it, but will have to wear it tonight when we go to bed.

She has 8 staples at the surgery site, so she is a bit of a Frankenpuppy right now.

I am happy she is back home, the staples will be removed in 10 - 14 days, the biopsy results will be in in 3 -5 days, and hopefully I will have more good news to report when we get the results.

Thanks to everyone for the pawsitive vibes! :heart:

#21 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,863 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:23 AM

Yay for 'pawsitive' vibes! MEOW!

((Pogo))

#22 Rayzeeday

Rayzeeday
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:53 AM

:heart::heart:

#23 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:55 AM

#24 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,534 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

#25 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:52 PM

:heart::heart:

#26 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:52 PM

So the biopsy results are in - Pogo had a plasma cell tumour - it's a sort of skin cancer, and apparently it isn't anything we should overly concern ourselves with. We have to keep an eye out in case any of it ever comes back, but with any luck, this chapter is closed and we won't see it again.

Phew. Not entirely bad news, I guess. Here's to a long and healthy life for our Pogo Puppy! :heart:

#27 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:07 AM

:smile::heart:

#28 sillyolbear

sillyolbear
  • VibeTribe
  • 449 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:56 AM

Awesome!!!!!!

#29 Rayzeeday

Rayzeeday
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:36 AM

"Pheeeeeeeeeeeeew!" Great to hear that!:clapping:

#30 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,367 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:24 AM

great news! :) :heart:

#31 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:37 AM

Yea! He will be an old New England country dog yet.:smile:

#32 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:32 PM

Old New England... :funny1: Yep, Pogo will love being out in the countryside!

Thanks y'all. :heart: Good news indeed! :mrgreen:

#33 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,863 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:01 AM

Great news! :heart:

#34 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:07 PM

Pogo :smile:

#35 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:26 AM

All the staples were removed today... No more bionic puppy! Also, a very happy little dog will be able to go swimming this week - yay!

#36 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:13 PM

Must feel great to be cone free.

#37 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:00 PM

Ya know what? We didn't even use the cone on her. It just stressed her out too much. We took it off the first night and she never once tried to pull out the staples. Once in a while she'd go to lick them but we'd just tell her to stop. Her medication would make her sleepy, so we gave it to her at night so that she'd not be licking the area while we slept.

She's really a smart pup and attentive to what we say - I was amazed that we could have her heal up without the cone of shame. :)

#38 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:51 PM

:heart::smile::heart:

#39 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,444 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:31 AM