Life of Pi

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

I watched this movie last night. I loved it, I'm sure the book is better, anyone watch this movie?

#2 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,209 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

I've seen the movie and read the book.  I actually enjoyed the movie more.  It is so amazing visually.   The book is very good but has a lot of uneeded chapters about various types of turtles etc.   I enjoyed both but movie FTW.

#3 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:08 PM

The move was visually beautiful. I love great stories and this was a great story even without the beautiful visuals. Thanks for the comparison, it makes a difference.

#4 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,642 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

Tim and I watched it - visually stunning and interesting.

it was interesting to read the interpretations that followed - many believing the movie to be an attack on organized religion.

for example: http://www.sparknote...eofpi/notes/196

other analysis adding that the book that Pi was relying on, the one that blew away, was symbolic of a sacred text being lost

also, the fact that two stories are told, and he asks, which do you prefer to believe? people prefer the one that's not true, just like the "story" religion tells us to make us feel better rather than face grim harsh realities.

I dunno, would be interesting to know if that's what the author intended.

#5 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,018 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

i watched it with my adult guys with autism

they are all non-verbal but it was obvious that they were mesmerized by it, visually :shocked:

it was kinda neat to see :smile:

#6 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:29 PM

Spoilers ...

Pi's interpretation and blending of the three religions he followed were definitely an integral part of the story. I don't know if I would interpret the story as an attack on religion. I think it was more an open mind towards many religions and the ability of the human mind to find G-d in many situations, especially the most difficult. Pi doesn't lose his faith as a result of his experiences, in fact he finds more spirituality in his life due to this adversity.

I did love the introduction of the 'other' story at the end, which mirrors what might have been the true tale of his plight and how the human mind will accept the story that is easier to hear ... how his mind created the version that was more spiritual. And, scientifically speaking, how the human mind is able to survive horrific events. Mirroring his own soul as the tiger is very significant as far as that story is concerned. Survivor.

I wonder what the carnivorous floating island represented in his mind. Almost saved, but then, not saved ... momentarily reprieved from his fate, sustained in his most desperate hour but then forced to move on ...   I might have to watch it a few more times.

#7 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:29 PM

i watched it with my adult guys with autism

they are all non-verbal but it was obvious that they were mesmerized by it, visually :shocked:

it was kinda neat to see :smile:

It was beautifully made, stunning.

#8 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,209 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

The book is much more about religion then the movie.  I feel it's more of a critcism of having to pick one religion.  Why can't people choose what to believe for themselves instead of being dictated to believe things by a church.

#9 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,434 posts
  • LocationA peaceful place, or so it looks from space

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:46 AM

I just saw it today and I LOVED it

#10 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,434 posts
  • LocationA peaceful place, or so it looks from space

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:46 AM

It made me wish I had a better TV

#11 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Read the book, have not yet seen the film. I will at some point.

Hello Vibe Tribe! :hitheresmiley:

#12 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,586 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

Hi LL!

Movie was pretty visually impressive!

#13 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,816 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:14 PM

it's the only movie I've seen in theaters in probably the last few years and it was unbelievable visually... also I felt it was quite powerful in terms of the emotions elicited, I always love how good movies can do that in such a unique way

#14 Jam Fan

Jam Fan
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:00 PM

B9KVk37983.jpg

#15 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,330 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

Tabbooma like Pi, did not watch movie, was sleeping ;)

#16 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:13 AM

The book is much more about religion then the movie.  I feel it's more of a critcism of having to pick one religion.  Why can't people choose what to believe for themselves instead of being dictated to believe things by a church.

They do - that's why there's eleventy billion different christian churches out there. people just start their own whenever they want something slightly different. 

#17 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:16 PM

tabbooma was making storm like sound effects.

you have to see the film. It was beautiful and did make me glad we have a nice picture on the tv.

B9KVk37983.jpg

this is awesome .. lol