Royal Southern Brotherhood - Norwood MA

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,971 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

Alternate Root Studios is doing a show with Royal Southern Brotherhood this coming Monday (8/26) at their Norwood MA studio

They have an invite only audience (limited to 44 people)

The show will include a set bu Cyril Neville, a set by Devon Allman, and a set by Royal Southern Brotherhood.

I have an invite, but I can't attend.

Doors open at 7:00 PM, and doors close at 7:30 (they are taping)

Tickets are free, but they do ask for a donation at the door.

If anyone would like to go, please let me know today.

#2 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,413 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

Not sure the energy will be the same in studio but in general RSB is not to be missed. 

#3 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,971 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

I think it would be kinda fun with Devon in the audience during Cyril's set, and vice versa.  

#4 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,696 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

I really wish i could do this- I could practtically walk there from my place, but I'm working Monday night. :sad: 

#5 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,696 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

If you don't find boardies for them, I know a few local music fans that would be interested. 

#6 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,413 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

Talked to a friend of mine that would love to go to this...so if you don't find anyone, I can make sure the invite goes to good use!

#7 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,642 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

how many invites ya got? :huh:

#8 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,696 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:34 PM

Talked to a friend of mine that would love to go to this...so if you don't find anyone, I can make sure the invite goes to good use!

Ut uh, no way Malcolm don't do it unless he lets me use the hot tub when I get out of work! :wink: 

#9 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,413 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:38 PM

Ut uh, no way Malcolm don't do it unless he lets me use the hot tub when I get out of work! :wink:

Well, that's a mighty long drive to use a hot tub. Besides, my friend is your friend - so Malcolm can get two drinks with one stone.

#10 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,696 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:49 PM

I wasn't thinking your hot tub, I was thinking your friend's, but maybe you have a different friend in mind. :lol:

#11 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,413 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:04 PM

how many invites ya got? :huh:

Sounds like only one. But you know Malcolm so I'm thinking this is yours.

I wasn't thinking your hot tub, I was thinking your friend's, but maybe you have a different friend in mind. :lol:

I don't think you need me to get into that hot tub.

#12 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,642 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:10 AM

i am def not definite but was thinking about asking someone if they wanted to go...

#13 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:38 AM

Oh hai!  Guess who's playing lolwork this Saturday???

http://www.41bridges...ndex.php?id=313

:D  I'm working the early part, so I actually get to hang out, see the show, and hang in the green room!  YAY ME!  Come on down!  (do it, Wit)

#14 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:42 AM

I owe Devon a few shots of SoCo from the last time he was at lolwork.  I kinda offended him.  He asked if they were the best band we had at the place and I took a long pause.  :rolling:  He's expecting shots from the last time we spoke over fb.  I'm such an ass.  :lol:

#15 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:44 AM

In my defense, NRBQ was there two weeks prior!  That's what I told him after the long pause.  :lol:

#16 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,696 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:10 AM

Oh hai!  Guess who's playing lolwork this Saturday???

http://www.41bridges...ndex.php?id=313

:D  I'm working the early part, so I actually get to hang out, see the show, and hang in the green room!  YAY ME!  Come on down!  (do it, Wit)

Prior commitment but def have a shot for me!

#17 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:20 AM

Prior commitment but def have a shot for me!

HAHAHAHA!!!  That's the other time I offended him!  SoCo makes me ill.  He actually offered to buy me a shot and I declined.  :rolling:  I opted for Patron. :thup:

#18 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,696 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:05 AM

good lady. :thumbup: 

#19 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,971 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

Sorry I missed writing back, Dee, I sent you a not, Jabadoodle too.

#20 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,413 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

Sorry I missed writing back, Dee, I sent you a not, Jabadoodle too.

Thank you Malcolm! I can guarantee that if this works out and my friend goes it will be appreciated beyond compare.

#21 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,413 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

Well, that was some good underground fun. What a great crew of people running that party and what a talented and downright friendly band. Thank you Malcolm -- been hooked up with a couple great things this year but this was the best!

Couple people were recording amature video so I think it will be on YouTube soon, as well as the pro DVD they were shooting. 

#22 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,835 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

:clapping:

#23 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,971 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

I really wished I could have gone.

How was the energy?  Was it, as you feared earlier, not so good, or was that not a factor?

BTW, no thanks needed.  Glad you made it.  You should be on their list now for future gigs.  The people running it seem top notch, and the music they get is fantastic.

Did Cyril do a solo set also?

#24 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,413 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:13 PM

You should be on their list now for future gigs.  

That's what I'm afraid of, being tempted to drive out for can't-miss small venue / underground music every other week.

Drove out from the Berkshires and picked up my buddy. Between generally being negligent about time, a closed road, and not knowing where exactly in the industrial park the studio was, we missed the first tune. Fortunately the locked-door policy wasn't strict and they let us and some others in between songs. Place was setup like a dark Vegas style night club. Lots of people. Getting there early would have given us a table but standing was just fine.

Came in to Mike Zito and Cyril. The owner / cameraman would ask Cyril some questions or to introduce each song. It was good rhythmic stuff and Mike’s playing is exemplary. They did about 3 tunes then took an intermission. After that the full Royal Southern Brotherhood came out.  

The energy was great, though certainly not of the same kind as a full show. These guys were all sitting down while playing. It was an intimate setting. There was a director asking questions and putting a pro-video camera in their faces. So no, it wasn’t the off-the-hook energy of the rock-and-roll show I saw before. That is not to say it was bad in any way. They still brought it, just a version that was appropriate for the room.

After, there was an extended Q&A, first from the director and then from the audience. These are some thoughtful and connected guys. Couple of highlights: Zito explained how the RSB came about. He wanted to make it clear that this was not some “boardroom” decision to put this super-group together, it was organic. Asked who their one musical influence was (hard question to narrow to one) Cyril said Art Neville. “Art jumped into the funk with me on his back. No Art, no Cyril.”  Devon just pointed to the tattoo on his arm and said, “That’s Curtiss Mayfield.” ~ Devon also explained what doing this kind of music means to him. He said we all know what crap is out there on the mainstream radio - but that maybe that’s a good thing because what we all enjoy might not be so special if the masses were turned on to it. I agree. Also that if it's a bridge for some younger people to find the great influences of the past then they've "done their jobs."

Talked with the owner, he wants to make this space into The local underground place. You kids that live nearby are really in a lucky position. ~ They are expanding the room next week and putting in a better AC/Fan -- it was hot/stuffy in there.

#25 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,696 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

Nice review...looking forward to checking it out. :smile: 

#26 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,971 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

#27 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,971 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

As Gary stated, some amateur video from Alternate Root

#28 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,413 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for the links, Malcolm!

Here's one, not video from last night, but they did do this tune. It's sweet.

#29 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,413 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

Nice review...looking forward to checking it out. :smile:

Yeah, for you to have this in your back yard is making me sick ;-)

#30 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,696 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:43 PM

Yeah, for you to have this in your back yard is making me sick ;-)

Yeah, well hopefully you thought to get my email addy down on a clipboard or something. :wink: 

#31 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,413 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:12 AM

Yeah, well hopefully you thought to get my email addy down on a clipboard or something. :wink:

Adam Ezra coming up...I think September 5th. You should invite the BoBerries.