Healing vibes for my friend J-cancer?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Don Nucka

Don Nucka
  • VibeTribe
  • 635 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:57 AM

he wouldnt want me posting his real name so i went with an initial. Poor bastard is only 32 years old and he is showing signs of precancerous colon polyps. Basically the doctors told him he has about 3 years until either he gets cancer or the polyps go away on thir own, and its about 50/50 % chance either way. If he does develop cancer it can be treated (i know its not always cureable but one can hope), if he doesn't, well, much ado about nothing.
Granted he put a lot of stress on his colon, he's been drinking 30-packs of natty ice daily for 15 years, he eats like shit if he remebers to eat at all, and he has used almost every toxic substance there is.
Be that as it may, 32 is way to young to die in anything but a car accident. What scares me is if he does develop cancer, he is reluctant to seek help, as he is agoraphobic, slightly schizotypal and is (sometimes justifyably imo) afraid of doctors, hospitals and chemotherapy. He is actually considering not getting the chemo because his dreadlocks would fall out:rolleyes:
Any advice for him?

#2 Kuzsin

Kuzsin
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:08 AM

.........(((unstubborn vibes)))

#3 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,790 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:21 AM

advice for him? eat better, drink less (or drink better beer, at least :lol: ). eat brocolli. (sp?) try to get 8 hours of sleep at night. SERIOUSLY. and to remember that hair will grow back, if it falls out.

I will root for him to not develop cancer. :)

If he bugs out on Western doctors, he can check out the clinic at the New England School of Acupuncture, Watertown, (617) 926-1788. Preventive medicine should be able to do him some good, with this big a heads up. People more qualified who are there can give him more info.

#4 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,311 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:34 AM

He needs to realize being alive is better than looking heady. I hope all works out good, but if not he needs to make the right decision.

(((J)))

#5 mamapajama

mamapajama
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:35 AM

My advice, FWIW:

I had cancer at 33. My hair fell out. It was not the worst part.
Treatment is rough.
However, I've seen a friend die of cancer and the side effects of treatment have nothing on late stage cancer. Nothing.
I think that if he has a chance of nipping this before it does something to him, he oughta buck up and do it.

#6 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,221 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

:heart:

#7 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 298 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:47 AM

some good advice up there ^

#8 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,477 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:39 PM

keep trying to get him to find some courage and explore other options like Sarah suggested :thup: :heart:

#9 LiL MaMa

LiL MaMa
  • VibeTribe
  • 507 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:55 PM

#10 Creekie

Creekie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:15 PM

:heart::heart::heart::heart:

#11 Some1lls

Some1lls
  • VibeTribe
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:41 PM

:heart::heart:

#12 Don Nucka

Don Nucka
  • VibeTribe
  • 635 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:24 PM

thnx all, just remember this kid is definitely mentally ill. What seems like common sense to us is a conspiracy to "get him" in his head. He is adequately medicated/tranquilized but he still fears things irrationally. This spunion has lots of layers to peel.

#13 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,790 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:41 PM

taking a daily multi-vitamin is also not a bad idea, especially if he's not necessarily up to eating a more healthy diet.

not sure what he eats, now, but if he can add 1 fruit (juice counts, too) and one vegetable a day, that will be better than nothing. This can be done on tour, too -- lettuce on a burger, tomato on grilled cheese, etc. Tour is not an excuse to eat poorly.

If he doesn't exercise regularly, turning up some music and dancing at home is good. Two sets a day can help keep the doctor away. And if they don't, at least you got your dance on to some great music while you could. :)
Posted via Mobile Device Powered By Terrapin

#14 Don Nucka

Don Nucka
  • VibeTribe
  • 635 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:44 PM

please y'all, post some encouraging words about cancer treatment etc, the reason i ask this is if i get a lot of good info in this thread i'm going to print it out for him, so he can see that a bunch of people he doesn't even know, A: care about him, and B: want to see him get medical help, not just let himself die. If all you can add is a heart thats fine and its welcomed, but if you have either medical knowledge, first hand experience or general words of encouragement, i bet he'd like to read them
Thanks guys.

Edited by Don Nucka, 12 February 2009 - 05:44 PM.
spellinh

#15 Don Nucka

Don Nucka
  • VibeTribe
  • 635 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:41 PM

coukd someone move this to healing vibes before it just gets buried? i kind of feel like its important.

#16 Drop_o_Rain

Drop_o_Rain

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:14 PM

thanks for PMing me...
it worked a lot better than bumping it..
I had no idea what this said.

I didn't respond because I don't know a thing about cancer treatment. Mama knows best in my experience.

I do hope that your friend stays healthy and that this isn't cancer!

#17 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,477 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:41 PM

#18 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:42 PM

#19 LadyCrow

LadyCrow
  • VibeTribe
  • 86 posts
  • LocationThe cupboard under the stairs

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:49 PM

:heart::heart::heart:

#20 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:38 PM

I watched my dad die of cancer (he refused treatment as he was 80). It wasn't pretty. I have seen many, many people (including my sister) go through cancer treatment and although it sucked at the time, they are all leading healthy lives now. Hair will grow back, but you only have one life.

#21 MORGZ

MORGZ
  • VibeTribe
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:13 PM

***~~~SENDING SOME GOOD HEALING VIBES~~~***

#22 Elphaba

Elphaba
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:12 PM

how's your friend?

i watched my mom die. like literally sat right there when she took her last really horrible breath of really horrible breaths mixed with disorientation and unimaginaable pain of the previous 72 hours. i'm fucked up over it. really. in the end it was organ failure caused by renal failure and dehydration. but i guess the hospice people said someone she trusted needed to tell her it was ok to go and that's what i did because she didn't really have a choice but she was really suffering for a long time. so if he can cure it he should because the other option of dying too young is just hard on everyone who cares about him and not doing it is sort of selfish. and i'm very hesitant to ever even put that out there because i don't want to hurt anyone else who might lose someone too young, but others' results will probobly vary. :heart:

#23 Drop_o_Rain

Drop_o_Rain

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:57 PM

(((Nucka, nucka's friend, & handy)))

#24 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,790 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:53 PM

:heart: take care of yourself, too, Nucka.

#25 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,236 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:07 PM

Comfort & healing :heart: