Photo
- - - - -

any tips for installing laminate to a kitchen counter ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,546 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:06 AM

I figure if they are taking the sink out, it's time.

#2 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,084 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:36 AM

Crank up your AC and get the moisture out of the air or the glue will take forever to tac up and it needs to be tacky for a proper bond.  If you are using Nova Ply or whatever they call particle board these days be sure to paint the underside with several coats of paint so the moisture doesn't cause that crap to swell up and fall apart. 

Also look into a new countertop @ the homecenters.  You can cut the predone stuff with a sharp blade and glue on the end caps.

Good luck!

#3 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,546 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

thanks

the plan is to just go over the exisitng sheet.

a new countertop would prolly require the old back splash to come down.

too much work for somethng that is not mine.

time to get out the tape measure :)

#4 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,274 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

Just put duct tape over the old stuff....

#5 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

is there a glue that will stick to the top of the existing laminate?  If so, make sure you used a strong detergent to remove any oil/grease residue from the top or the glue won't stick.  

The laminate is not that hard to take off with a heat gun.  start at one end and use a dowel or something between the laminate and base wood as you peel it up.  this will prevent it from sticking back to the base wood after you've pulled them apart.

when gluing the laminate back on, apply the glue and let it tack up for a bit.  place dowels every 8-10 inches or so (front to back) and place the laminate on top of the dowels.  this is to prevent the laminate from contacting the base before it is squared up.  Once this stuff contacts the base, it's pretty stuck.  square the laminate up as best as possible on the dowels and start at one end removing one dowel at a time.  use a wood block or something with a rag around it to "squeegee" air pockets towards the dowels.

after the laminate is glued on, the edges are usually routed to remove sharp edges and to put a small bevel on the corners

#6 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,546 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:54 PM

thanks again, but they never took the sink out, so this was a non starter.

i did get a brandy new toilet, shower diverter and goose neck kitchen facuet installed, and they are all working fine.

i drilled out the old low flow water pick shower head to improve the magic fingers, only to have it blast off the darn thing mid shower.

the new one of those i picked up works much betterer with the new diverter, so i won't have to drill this one out.