homemade shampoos?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,823 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:59 PM

I'm actually doing this for my face. I have skin like a 15 year old that lives on junk food. Nothing I do helps, and someone suggested maybe the issue was shampoo. It seems to clean my hair (I have very very baby fine hair, so that probably helps) I'm going to give it 1 month, because apparently that is the life cycle of a pimple.

so I'm washing it in a mixture of water and baking soda. and then rinsing the ends with apple cider vinegar.

Any other recipes or suggestions?

#2 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,023 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:59 PM

got nothin here

i have heard to clean hair with baking soda (as you've mentioned), it removes build-up

#3 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,023 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:00 PM

i'm not diggin the aubrey organics shampoos - too oily

#4 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:57 PM

Budd swears by vinegar for his hair

#5 musicmomma

musicmomma
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:43 AM

i don't shampoo more than 2x a month and i use baking soda/water mix. i wouldn't use the baking soda more than 1x a week though cause it can really strip your hair. if i am using an actual shampoo conditioner i only use v05 or philosophy 3-n-1.

#6 BoggleKng

BoggleKng
  • VibeTribe
  • 906 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:39 PM

I have encouraged Carrie to try the TIGI Peace and Love brand
http://www.walgreens...l_Google_Beauty

She likes it but I haven't been able to track down any data on it via Skin Deep database or Good Guide yet and she can get it for a reasonable price.

As for herbal shampoos, I will look into my books. Granted, I have little hair so it is not my top priority. ;-)

#7 Frankyh

Frankyh
  • VibeTribe
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:05 AM

This thread, while very interesting to me, is pretty old now. :Phishfolk:

#8 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:44 PM

i would say the TIGI one is ok -- has a big strike against being enviro friendly by using PEG materia -- two different version in fact and a conditioning quat, also it still uses pretty conventional surfactants (no SLS/SLES though sodium coco sulfate is basically the same thing - they are basically saying their lauryl comes only from coconut sourcing but chemically its identical)... I definitely wouldn't pay $20 a bottle for it though

any of the kiss my face, jason naturals, avalon organics etc are like $10 a bottle and more environmentally friendly

#9 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:17 PM

Bio-diesel soap can be made at home and it kicks ass!

#10 kate11

kate11
  • VibeTribe
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:30 PM

ive been using the baking soda then vin for a little under a year-love it!

#11 likethefall

likethefall
  • VibeTribe
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:34 PM

My mother is an herbalist and has great-really and truly ALL NATURAL/ORGANIC facial and medicinal products. She has been able to help mahy\\ny people with all sorts of skin types and without the use of ANY chemicals-all herbs that are most likely right in your back yard-she even has sunburn cream! Check out her website, its: www.seethedawn.biz

:heart:

#12 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:11 AM

I use dr bronners & only wash my hair 2x a week. I don't love it but I refuse to pay a lot of $$ for shampoo