Man robs bank for $1 to get health care in prison

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:54 PM

GASTON, N.C -- A North Carolina man suffering from an undiagnosed growth on his chest and two ruptured disks walked into an RBC bank and handed a note to a teller demanding $1. He then sat by the door and waited for police to arrive.

Richard James Verone says he needs medical attention and hoped that by getting arrested, he would have access to health care in prison.

"I'm sort of a logical person and that was my logic, what I came up with," Verone told WCNC. "If it is called manipulation, then out of necessity because I need medical care, then I guess I am manipulating the courts to get medical care."

Three years ago, Verone was laid off from Coca-Cola after 17 years on the job. He says he has had part-time work since then, but nothing with health insurance.

He is hoping for a three-year sentence, enough time to collect social security and obtain the medical help he requires, Verone says.

"If you don't have your health, you don't have anything," he says.

The 59-year-old was unarmed at the time of the incident.

He is being charged with larceny and is held on a $2,000 bond. He will appear in court June 28.

http://www.wtop.com/...209&sid=2431332

#2 gdradio

gdradio
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:56 PM

yeah he's a logical person, alright :coffee:

#3 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:00 PM

makes sense to me. If you need medical care and your choices have been reduced to such. Then seemingly logic dictates to perform accodingly for self preservation. A shame it has to be that way in the "greatest" western society...... :coffee:

#4 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:08 PM

It is refreshing to see someone not driven by greed... some might have said:

OK... I'm gonna rob this bank and see how much I can get... and in the event I get pinched... at least I will then have health care.

His focus was on the health care... :dunno:

#5 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:10 PM

How many cigarettes did he have whilst waiting on the po-po? And how many pounds overweight is he?

#6 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:12 PM

How many cigarettes did he have whilst waiting on the po-po? And how many pounds overweight is he?

You'll get no argument out of me on what you're trying to say. However, if it was Lance Armstrong, would your view change on the actions?

#7 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:17 PM

he should request they take a look at his nose, while they are at it. :huh:

#8 melissa.phish

melissa.phish
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:18 PM

Yes, but universal health care is BAD, m'kay?

#9 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:39 PM

when things have gotten so bad that jail is a better alternative you know things are bad.

#10 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:40 PM

Been that way for a lot of people for along time........

#11 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:50 PM

Seriously. Probably would have taken him less than 3 years to find a job with benefits or enough income to pay for insurance. Of course, it would take effort. So that is probably out.

#12 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:53 PM

Once he takes a trip through the justice system and gets convixted, he will be able to immediately gain access to healthcare. My take is that his condition, after probably seeking a consultation, results in 3 years worth of medical procedure/rehabilitation.

#13 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:55 PM

If he would rather do that, good for him. I like not being in prison so I'd find a different solution.

#14 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,018 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:00 PM

Seriously. Probably would have taken him less than 3 years to find a job with benefits or enough income to pay for insurance. Of course, it would take effort. So that is probably out.

At 59?

#15 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

Whats your point?

#16 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,018 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:08 PM

It's markedly more difficult to find a decent job with benefits at that age. A lot of companies will shy away from hiring an older person because the benefit costs are astronomical. Sure it's wrong, but that's corporate America.

#17 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:10 PM

Isn't this what welfare is for?

#18 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:13 PM

Not everyone is eligible for welfare. I dont know all of this man's position in life, but I do know that even if I had no job, I would not be eligible for welfare.

#19 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:20 PM

I wouldn't hire someone this dumb either. But that has nothing to do with age. Please. This guy is a moron who is most likely dumb, lazy, fat and a smoker. Hope he has fun in prison.

#20 Goose

Goose
  • VibeTribe
  • 605 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:22 PM

A few weeks ago I was joking that we'd have to do this in retirement since they are trying to take away some benefits.

My girlfriend is a teacher and they've been saying they can't afford teachers and layoffs are coming, bigger classes, half day kindergarten. Why don't they repeatedly come on the news and say they can't afford to pay $30,000 a year to keep thousands of people in jail under mandatory minimum laws?

#21 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:22 PM

Not everyone is eligible for welfare. I dont know all of this man's position in life, but I do know that even if I had no job, I would not be eligible for welfare.

yeah, not sure either. I thougth it was based on income but perhaps assets play into it too. I know you can give most of your liquid assets away tax free so you can make yourself pretty poor pretty fast if needed.

Either way, I think this dude is a blithering idiot. If he thinks it's hard to find work now, wait 'till he gets out of the joint with a record. There must have been a different way other than going to jail.

#22 robberry

robberry
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:25 PM

wha ?
He handed the teller a note that "demanded" $1 and the teller didn't just throw the note out and tell him to get lost?

The note said he had a gun.

It's a crazy plan, but it just might work. Or the judge might throw it out since he made his plan VERY obvious to the public. One drawback on this plan is that if he does get time, he now has a criminal background. Probably won't be a felony (usually $250+), but it definitely won't help his future employment status. His potential employer will find out that he's a "scammer" when they google his name.

#23 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:27 PM

yeah, not sure either. I thougth it was based on income but perhaps assets play into it too. I know you can give most of your liquid assets away tax free so you can make yourself pretty poor pretty fast if needed.

Either way, I think this dude is a blithering idiot. If he thinks it's hard to find work now, wait 'till he gets out of the joint with a record. There must have been a different way other than going to jail.

You're right. His choice seems futile. But like he siad, "without your health you have nothing."

He's obviously far more concerned with living, vs. attempting to attain "the American dream". Most incarceration facilities also help newly released convicts find employment too. :dunno:

#24 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:28 PM

social security, brehs. The man is 59. He'll be 62+ when released...... His choice sucks and seems like a moran thing to do. But put yourself in his shoes and ask yourself what your plan would be.......:gop:

#25 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,908 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

If we had single payer health care, he would have been paying in, and been taken care of.

Instead we have to pay for his health care.

Awesome.

We (USA) have the dumbest health care insurance system.

It should be illegal to have for profit health insurance

#26 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:33 PM

There should be the free system and the one you pay for. I know which one I would choose.

#27 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:36 PM

It's such a glaring look at the choices offered to Mericans in today's Merica. The dewd would prefer a three year stint, equipped with 3 hots, a cot and free healthcare, than the alternaive.

#28 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

Free ride vs. hard work

;)

#29 Uncle Coulro

Uncle Coulro
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:38 PM

Probably won't be a felony (usually $250+)

Any bank robbery is a Federal felony with up to a 20 year bid.

#30 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,908 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:38 PM

Free ride vs. no work

;)

corrected

#31 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:39 PM

corrected

Thank you......

#32 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

Really? I know plenty of places that are hiring. Plus, he could start his own business. It is easier, though, to have someone else do it all for you. What if he dies in jail? Delicious ironing.

#33 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,150 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

http://www.postandco.../08/08clinics/'> http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/nov/08/08clinics/

this took me 3 seconds to find...he's had 3 years to look...this might not be the answer to all his problems but there are other avenues to be taken other than going to prison for health care.

#34 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:42 PM

how incredibly sad to hear what american citizens feel they have to resort to in order to receive health care.
personally, i would have figured out a way to receive medicaid if i were that desperate...not sure how it works if you have a pre-existing condition, though

#35 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:43 PM

Really? I know plenty of places that are hiring. Plus, he could start his own business. It is easier, though, to have someone else do it all for you. What if he dies in jail? Delicious ironing.

Without health care it sounds like he is going to die sooner rather than later. You're missing the bigger picture here, brehmigo. He is going on 60 years old and is ill.

Have you no compassion?
He should start a business while sick and dying and in desperate need of medical attention???

I give up. The century of self has dun wun.

#36 wonka

wonka

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 6,646 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:43 PM

I think I would have tried going somewhere like Canada to try to scam into their system health care system instead of scamming into jail

I dislike a system where folks are afraid to leave jobs/start a business/take a risk because they will lose the family health care plan. Employers have us sucked in because of the need and cost of health care. I'd much rather we as a country spend billions on universal healthcare instead war/skirmishes/other crap.

#37 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:45 PM

Without health care it sounds like he is going to die sooner rather than later. You're missing the bigger picture here, brehmigo.

We don't know his medical condition. Or whether he smokes or is overweight or exercises regularly or eats healthy. We just know a dumb guy thinks he needs to see a jail doctor.

#38 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:46 PM

I think I would have tried going somewhere like Canada to try to scam into their system health care system instead of scamming into jail

I dislike a system where folks are afraid to leave jobs/start a business/take a risk because they will lose the family health care plan. Employers have us sucked in because of the need and cost of health care. I'd much rather we as a country spend billions on universal healthcare instead war/skirmishes/other crap.

So are the employers, the insurance companies or the doctors the bad guys?

:rolling:

#39 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:47 PM

If we had single payer health care, he would have been paying in, and been taken care of.

Instead we have to pay for his health care.

Awesome.

We (USA) have the dumbest health care insurance system.

It should be illegal to have for profit health insurance

single payer is bullshit too

#40 gdradio

gdradio
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:48 PM

if I were the judge, I would reward him publicizing his intentions by releasing him to do community service.

#41 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:50 PM

We don't know his medical condition. Or whether he smokes or is overweight or exercises regularly or eats healthy. We just know a dumb guy thinks he needs to see a jail doctor.

We know he has a medical condition and is desperate enough to go to prison on a federal charge in order to receive treatment. You presume he is a dumb guy that smokes and is over weigth etc....not that people who lives healthy lives ever face any illness at almost 60 years old.... :rolleyes:

#42 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:52 PM

We know he has a medical condition and is desperate enough to go to prison on a federal charge in order to receive treatment. You presume he is a dumb guy that smokes and is over weigth etc....not that people who lives healthy lives ever face any illness at almost 60 years old.... :rolleyes:

We know he has a "medical condition" and that is it. We also know he is dumb.

#43 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:52 PM

So are the employers, the insurance companies or the doctors the bad guys?

:rolling:

all of em

#44 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,457 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:01 PM

Posted Image

Do not think he is fat.

#45 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 471 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:02 PM

single payer is bullshit too

no. it's not. in fact it's probably the most important legislation we need to pass.

#46 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,018 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:03 PM

Posted Image

#47 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:10 PM

Ending 3 open wars and 2 secret ones could provide all the money needed to make sure all Mericans can receive healthcare for free. Without raising taxes even. We build bombs to blowed shit up instead of facilities to help people live healthy lives.

I think that says it all about our society as a whole.

#48 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:18 PM

I cannot argue with that there.

#49 tommacco

tommacco
  • VibeTribe
  • 601 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

too bad since he wasn't armed and didn't at least fake that he was going to hurt somebody the DA is gonna drop teh charges or give him community service as a maximal penalty to keep from having to give him medical care and housing/food in jail.

#50 wonka

wonka

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 6,646 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

all of em

and he forgot to list pharmaceutical companies