21 replies to this topic

#1 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,765 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

:gah:

I broke down last night and bought some knockoff Frontline for my two dogs. I hate hate hate it. 

They picked up some fleas while I was visiting my folks over the fourth of July weekend in KY. My male isn't really bothered by a few fleas, but my female must have a reaction to the bites, because she's been going bananas for almost a month now. Her skin was bright red and she scratches herself constantly. Her skin just twitches and jumps if you touch her anywhere. :( I tried bathing, I vacuumed her several times, dish soap, you name it. Nothing worked. 

After purchasing the flea treatment, I read the package. It has a disposal warning on it, saying if there is any treatment left in the package, to call the local hazmat office for disposal. Ok, these are tiny tubes of shit, and I have to call a hazmat disposal line? WHAT??? 

I knew the chemicals were nasty, but monkeyballs, that's ridiculous. I seriously was crying as I put it on my dogs. I felt like I just did the equivalent of pouring bleach down their throats. A nice acute dose of really dangerous shit. To the two most important beings in my life. FML. 

Has anyone had any successful methods for flea treatment/prevention? I REALLY don't want to ever use this shit again. 

:cur:

#2 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,614 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

i've heard that sprinkling a little bit of brewer's yeast over their food daily will make them taste bad to fleas.   i could never get the dose right, for my cat, some years ago though and the b.y. caused some stomach distress.   might be a little easier for a dog.  i have a book somewhere for pet home remedies, i'll see what it says

#3 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,765 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:57 AM

thanks, miss Nancy! I've also heard garlic powder with the same. My mom swears by it with her dog (who is the flea-passing culprit in this case...) btu I've also read in several different places that garlic isn't good for dogs.... :dunno:

#4 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

the only thing that works for me is Advantix.  Yes, chemical shit, but it's the only thing that I've used that works.  Frontline, Hartz along with a host of "all natural" remedies found online have done nothing.

#5 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,765 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

I got Hartz. Cheap crap. It's been two days, and my little girl is still going crazy with the scratching. I dunno how long it normally takes to work, but I want to say it says 48 hours.

Grr....

#6 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,902 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:59 PM

Hartz is junk.

http://www.petco.com...pplies_FleaTick

#7 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

I agree.  Frontline worked for me for a while but not anymore.  Hartz never worked.

Hartz is junk.

#8 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,811 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

Where did you purchase the Advantix?  From your vet or other outlet?

#9 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

I've bought it both from the vet and online.  If I am at the vet and can remember, I prefer to get it there.  Online is slightly cheaper.

#10 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,765 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

Just picked up some diatomaceous earth. Sounds like, with some careful application, that will seriously fuck up some fleas.

It's not good to breathe, but I'm thinking if I make a paste out of it, and rub it in her fur, it will still chop those suckers to pieces.

#11 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,811 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

We did the diatomaceous earth, several weeks later there was evidence of new flea activity.  

#12 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,902 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

I'm rethinking the wisdom of allowing animals in my house.

#13 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,765 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

We did the diatomaceous earth, several weeks later there was evidence of new flea activity.  

It's not for ongoing treatment, but moreso eradication. That's the way I read it, anywhoos.

I suppose you could just reapply in areas in your house periodically?

#14 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,765 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

I'm rethinking the wisdom of allowing animals in my house.

I suppose this would be relative to the people you also allow...

Personally, I can be a grubby little country girl, so I'm not always cleaner than my dogs. :cur:

#15 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,902 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

It probably doesn't kill the eggs. New brood, new infestation.

#16 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,811 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

Supposed to dry them out.  Certainly dries out yer skin if you get it on ya.

#17 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,902 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

So it's like natural Gold Bond?

#18 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,811 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

Sure, but made out of skeletal remains.

#19 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,765 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:56 PM

It probably doesn't kill the eggs. New brood, new infestation.

nope, it doesn't kill eggs, unless it just so happens to be touching the eggs. Reading online it says the DE can damage & dry out eggs/larvae, but it's moreso for treatment of living bugs. From what I understand, you can leave it indefinitely in cracks and crevices - it doesn't 'go bad'. And your main areas that get cleaned or vacuumed regularly, you reapply every so often. 

There's actually a lot of cool shit you can do with it. Use it for treatment of intestinal issues as well, like worms, etc. 

It was 10$ for a big bag, I figgered why not try? 

#20 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

Saw this today

Ingredients:

1/2 litre of alcohol
100 gram of whole cloves
100 ml of baby oil or similar (almond, sesame, chamomile, lavender, fennel etc)

Preparation:
Leave cloves to marinate in alcohol four days
Stir every morning and evening
After 4 days add the oil
It's now ready to use.

How to use:

Gently rub a few drops into the skin of the arms and legs.
Observe the mosquitoes fleeing the room.
Repels fleas on pets too.

#21 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,765 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:09 PM

Thanks! I'll look for that stuff at my next co-op stop...

#22 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

I have had good results using lemon baths.  Cut up some lemons and place them in a pot of boiling water, then turn down heat and let them simmer on low for about an hour.  Take off heat and let cool.  You can fill a spray bottle and spray down your pet, or what I do is dip a cloth or sponge in the lemon water and rub down my kitty.