Photo
- - - - -

Google the wrong words, Feds come knocking...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,534 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

How does this happen if they aren't collecting meta-data (or data) on American's internet use.

Michele Catalano was looking for information online about pressure cookers. Her husband, in the same time frame, was Googling backpacks. Wednesday morning, six men from a joint terrorism task force showed up at their house to see if they were terrorists. Which prompts the question: How'd the government know what they were Googling?

Catalano (who is a professional writer) describes the tension of that visit.

Rest of article:

http://www.theatlant...searches/67864/

#2 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

And somehow snowden is a threat.  :facepalm:

#3 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,579 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

I guess when Obama was talking about transparency he meant it was our personal lives that would become more transparent.

#4 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

I guess when Obama was talking about transparency he meant it was our personal lives that would become more transparent.

May be he thinks since he "wants" to be seen as transparent, may be he is assuming everyone else wants to also.  :lol:

#5 williscat2000

williscat2000
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,449 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

pretty crazy story if its true..

actually not pretty crazy

#6 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

i read somewhere that it was his former employer saw that he had looked up those products and told the govment who then came knocking. He did not leave on good terms with them.

#7 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

The man was questioned after detectives from the department's intelligence unit received a tip from a Long Island-based computer company claiming the recently released employee's computer had suspicious searches, the police said. After interviewing company representatives, they questioned the man at his home where they determined there was no criminality.

The police issued their statement after receiving numerous media inquiries in response to a blog post written Thursday by a woman writing under the name Michele Catalano.

Catalano, who did not return multiple requests for comment, speculated in her post that her husband had been interviewed Wednesday by "six agents from the joint terrorism task force" because of the family's search history on Google.

She wrote that her husband had researched buying backpacks and she had researched pressure cookers. She writes, also, that her "curious news junkie of a twenty-year-old son" may have read a news story about how instructions to make pressure cooker bombs are available online.

Her husband answered the officers' questions and her son was asleep when they were at the home, she wrote. She said in the post she does not own a pressure cooker, but does have a rice cooker to make quinoa.

Catalano took to the Internet on Thursday night, writing in a new blog post that she wrote her original piece without knowing police had been tipped off about her husband's search history at his former job.

#8 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,985 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

Or that we would be made more aware of how transparent our daily activities truly are.

#9 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:52 PM

Or that we would be made more aware of how transparent our daily activities truly are.

what have you got to hide?

#10 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,628 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

what have you got to hide?

None of your business, Nosey Nelly. That's the whole point.

Anyway, Feck FTW. But i still dont like it one bit. No sir.

#11 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

None of your business, Nosey Nelly. That's the whole point.

Anyway, Feck FTW. But i still dont like it one bit. No sir.

Move to Egypt, seems like they have their shit together over there...

:wink:

#12 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,985 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

I prefer privacy to the illusion of privacy.

#13 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

I prefer privacy to the illusion of privacy.

Can there really be privacy when we are really all the same being in different shells?

#14 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,628 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

Move to Egypt, seems like they have their shit together over there...

:wink:

Texas Sharp Shooter'd

#15 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,985 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

Can there really be privacy when we are really all the same being in different shells?

From those who have not developed their higher powers, yes.