• Please log in to reply
698 replies to this topic

#51 williscat2000

williscat2000
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,452 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

Allowing them daily access to sing is exactly what Walker et al are trying to shut down.

If the permit is provided based on their political support for the governor we have a problem.I wonder how the other group got a permit.

#52 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

If the permit is provided based on their political support for the governor we have a problem.I wonder how the other group got a permit.

They're the governor's supporters.

#53 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,093 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

I hope your sister keeps a close eye on them. I wouldn't doubt if soon bones start being broken. 80+ is a bad age for breaking bones. Well, no age is good for that, really. I'm surprised the LRAD device didn't work. Lots is invested in that sort of thing.

#54 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

Thanks Sarah  :heart:

#55 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

They're the governor's supporters.

Yeah but that isn't how they got the permit, they got it by requesting it. The other group just doesn't feel it should have to follow the law.

“If the noontime singers would get a permit, then they could continue their activities without any arrests or citations,” Marquis said. “They are the only group being cited as they are the only group who has not applied for a permit for their regularly scheduled events at the Capitol rotunda. The question to ask is why they refused to apply for a permit.”

According to Marquis, the Capitol Police have issued 381 permits in 2013, given to groups across the political spectrum.

Ten permits have been denied for several reasons, including that the space in question was already booked.

As to why the solidarity singers just don’t apply for a permit, they give two reasons: One, They shouldn’t need a permit to exercise free speech, and two, They’re not an official “group,” just individuals who show up on their own accord to join in a regularly scheduled singalong.

Entire article

http://watchdog.org/...down-continues/

#56 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

Ten permits have been denied for several reasons, including that the space in question was already booked.

It's a HUGE space and there's no reason why more than one group can't be accommodated at the same time.

There were some other BS reasons too, which I wish I could recall right now.

But like I said, you are free to support whomever you choose.

I happen to find this trend of fascist governing frightening for the future of America, our rights being stripped away little by little, and am glad there are people like my parents who have the guts to get out there and fight for what is right.   :heart:

#57 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

Joker like rules

#58 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Got a voice mail from Mom last night, "Your father was arrested again yesterday, but nobody got arrested today".   :lol:

#59 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,351 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

Got a voice mail from Mom last night, "Your father was arrested again yesterday, but nobody got arrested today".   :lol:

Slackers.  :rolleyes:

#60 Mindbender

Mindbender
  • VibeTribe
  • 190 posts
  • Locationby the waterside

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

It makes me happy just knowing there are people like JBetty and her parents.

Please thank them (and thx to you as well) for standing up for us.

#61 Nannyannie

Nannyannie
  • VibeTribe
  • 66 posts
  • LocationYonkers,NY

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

JBetty, you have a really beautiful family...blessings      :thankyou:   

#62 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

Here's a public radio interview with my sister and a guy from the "We Have A Permit Singers" who did a counter protest.

I found myself wondering that since they both have valid points to support their side of the issue, can't they find some sort of a reasonable compromise everyone can agree on?

Scroll down to:
Tuesday 7/30 - 7am
Protesting and permits...

#63 smagnolia

smagnolia
  • VibeTribe
  • 402 posts
  • LocationRutland, VT

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

Wow, I applaud them.  So many people whine, whine, whine and do NOTHING!  You're folks are an inspiration and this is refreshing to see in a time where it's never been more critical to have our voice heard~

BRAVO!!!

#64 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

Where can I donate to his bail/fine?  

And don't try to send me to some progressive propaganda site that'll use my money to overthrow the gover...wait a minute that'll work too

#65 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

You can just send me the cash.   :mrgreen:

#66 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

I will need at least a #1 of you locked up.

Preferably it will be a Bad Girls Behind Bars #3 that does NOT, I repeat does NOT, co-feature fishnetboy   :rulez:

And for anyone else looking to donate

First Amendment Protection Fund Support Citizens Standing Up for First & Fourth Amendment Rights at the Wisconsin State Capitol

#67 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

ooo.  marking this to watch later!  

#68 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,152 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

I couldn't be prouder.   :heart:

Your folks kick ass!!!!

#69 paco

paco
  • VibeTribe
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

if they'd have just come to vibes for a mellow, good time, none of this would have happened...

seriously, it's inspiring to see them standing up for what they believe. i'd be proud, too!!!

#70 CTMuleman

CTMuleman
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,991 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:23 PM

There's also a link to donate to the non organized non-group solidarity.singers at the bottom of the original post.

Off to buy ball gag & video camera :jamguy:

#71 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

And the arrests continue on a daily basis.

Court dates start this week.

We'll see how many of them are tossed out, or if the prosecutor even bothers to show up.   

#72 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:13 PM

Holy shit, J!!!  This is awesome!  :rolling:

Where can I donate to his bail/fine?  

And don't try to send me to some progressive propaganda site that'll use my money to overthrow the gover...wait a minute that'll work too

You can just send me the cash.   :mrgreen:

Think $11 will do the trick?

#73 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

:rimshot:

#74 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

:norm:

#75 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

your parents are amazing!! go mom and dad! <3

#76 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

Scott Walker's Crackdown on Free Speech Backfires

By Carl Gibson, Reader Supported News

31 July 13

"The right of the people, peaceably to assemble, to consult for the common good, and to petition their government, or any department thereof, shall never be abridged."
- Wisconsin State Constitution, Article 1, Section 4

rsn-R.jpgemember that part in the Bill of Rights where Free Speech and Free Assembly are guaranteed provided the citizen requesting those freedoms does so upon the approval of his or her permit request? I don't remember that last part, either. Because if you have to ask your government for permission to protest it, then you never had the right to protest your government in the first place.

I was one of 30 arrested on Tuesday, July 30th, the 4th day of mass arrests at the Solidarity Singalong at the Wisconsin State Capitol. According to exhibit 11 of the Kissick vs. Huebsch lawsuit filed by the ACLU, over 90% of arrests ordered by Chief David Erwin in the year he's been in charge of the capitol PD have been thrown out in court.

The arrest count is now over 100 since capitol police first started arresting singers on Wednesday, July 24. The SSA is a tradition that came about as part of the 2011 uprising. Wisconsinites peacefully sing songs of resistance and freedom in the capitol rotunda every weekday for an hour. Whenever another group obtains a permit for the rotunda during that time, the singalong moves outside out of respect for the permitted event, as they did for a Tea Party group calling themselves the "We Got a Permit Singers" on July 29.

Governor Scott Walker has been trying hard to chill the voices of the singers for a long while now. His administration first imposed strict rules stating any group larger than 4 on the capitol grounds needed a permit. Several components of that rule were rejected by a federal judge, but new permitting rules now restrict groups of 20 people or more from gathering in the capitol without a permit. However, the preliminary injunction states that the Wisconsin capitol rotunda is unique in that it was intended to be used as a public forum for citizens to exercise their constitutional rights, since the people of Wisconsin built and paid for the capitol with their blood, sweat, tears, and tax dollars. Judge Conley stated concerns over the lack of constitutionality for the new permitting rules, and a final ruling will be issued after the official trial this coming winter.

What's most important to know is that the capitol police are not required to enforce the new permitting laws; they're actively choosing to arrest singers and give them citations of $200.50. Capitol police are eventhreatening passive spectators with arrest. My citation says "no permit" as the reason I was arrested. But since not having a permit isn't technically an arrestable offense, the official explanation is an "unlawful assembly." But the specific statute in Wisconsin law only deems an assembly to be unlawful if the assembly is blocking exits or otherwise endangering the safety of those inside. The solidarity singalong makes it a point to keep all pathways into the rotunda open, reminding spectators between songs that the capitol is the people's house, and all are welcome to it.

While Gov. Walker prides himself on his supposed frugality with state tax dollars, it's important to point out the discrepancy in his saying there's not enough to go around for public employees to have a job that guarantees a living wage and adequate benefits, but there's apparently enough for capitol police, state troopers, and conservation officers from the Department of Natural Resources to arrest political dissidents, all paid at an estimated $25 an hour. There are also hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on the court process, for assistant attorneys general to handle the prosecution (paid anywhere between $17 and $55 an hour), and the state to provide public defenders for all the protesters who can't afford an attorney or find a pro bono civil rights attorney, not to mention tax money to pay all the judges needed to handle each case. There are also numerous staffing needs for each case, like court reporters, bailiffs (at least one of each gender), file management, copying, witness fees, investigation costs, police reports, and time off work for all defendants. Those costs well exceed the $200.50 fine given to each protester, meaning the state of Wisconsin is losing money hand over fist to go through this process for each case, when most of them are dismissed outright.

But most Wisconsinites know the double standards in the Walker administration are plentiful, like how there's plenty of money to hand out millions in corporate welfare without even conducting the grant process in a lawful manner, but not enough to keep teachers employed. Just like how Walker's administration is fine with the carrying of guns in the capitol out in the open, but not the carrying of tunes.

As the news of the mass arrests at the singalong attracts the attention of national cable news networks, Walker's approval rating has taken a plunge in the latest polls. It certainly didn't help that Walker spokeswoman Stephanie Marquis was caught lying to the press about the singalong in the rotunda having forced a wedding party to move outside in the rain (the wedding party moved of their own accord because of the beautiful weather that day). But the real reason for Walker's suddenly ordering his palace guard to arrest political dissidents could be that he's back in hot water with the release of new John Doe documents. The newly-released emails are from the 2010 Walker campaign, and show that the Milwaukee County executive was actively having his staff take on campaigning duties while working on county time. The emails in question are in regard to the death of a 15-year-old boy after a loose concrete slab in a Milwaukee parking garage fell on his head in Summer of 2010, in the peak of the election season. Five of Walker's former aides have been convicted in the scandal, but so far, Walker himself has remained unscathed. However, it would be easy to interpret this latest move against protesters as a distraction from something that could criminally implicate Gov. Walker.

In any case, 2014 is right around the corner, and Gov. Walker is having a hard time shaking the vindictive bully image that has been most associated with his administration. He's making no secret of his 2016 presidential aspirations, and may use that as his get-out-of-jail-free-card excuse for not having to face the voters of Wisconsin for a third time. But don't worry America - even Walker's furious campaigning an fundraising has him polling at only 2.1 percent among the rest of the presumed candidates at the 2016 Iowa caucus. Hopefully sooner than later, Scott Walker will go back to being just another pasty white guy with a forgettable name. (If you support the solidarity singers and want to make a donation to the First Amendment Protection Fund, go to http://solidaritysingalong.org. July 30th's arrests will account for more than $1,080 in fees if all 30 arrestees request a jury trial, which is recommended. These singers have already borne enough of a burden with their arrests. Any donation to the legal fund is greatly appreciated.)

#77 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

One of my sisters joins in the fun yesterday!   :heart:

1002364_10200164546588476_2076132317_n.j

#78 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

love it .. great article

#79 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

Now they're arresting spectators.   :sad:

Capitol Visitors and Workers Threatened with Arrest

August 6, 2013 - Visitors and workers at the Wisconsin State Captiol were notified that they would be subject to arrest if they remained in the rotunda over the noon hour. Additionally, people taking photographs and video were warned that they would also be arrested for filming arrests. Two people were arrested as participants for filming.

#80 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

Are they arresting spectators or are they arresting people who are refusing to leave after being told it's an unlawful assembly?

Also there's a big difference between warning someone they could be subject to arrest and actually threatening someone with arrest. I'm guessing they're only warning folks but the protesters have chosen to be less than honest in an attempt to gain sympathy and have decided to accuse the cops of "threatening" people.

It's a shame they've chosen not to be straight up about what's going on and instead have decided to twist facts to serve their purpose.

#81 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Interesting twist on what's really going on out there, Joker.   :lol:

As more and more people are being arrested, more and more curious people are showing up at the Capitol to watch the show.

People my parents have never seen before and have no association with the singers are being arrested for hanging around, watching the action and filming the police.

#82 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

And again, I'm betting not one of them will have "hanging around, watching the action and filming the police" on their arrest report. They're most likely being arrested for failure to disperse from an unlawful assembly and/or some other kind of trespassing violation. But that doesn't have the same kind of effect as propaganda like they're being threatened and arrested for just standing around watching.

Let's face it, both sides are being dishonest in trying to influence public opinion about what's going on

#83 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

"Hanging around, watching the action and filming the police" is what the spectators were doing while getting arrested.

Not the official description of the arrest on the report.   :rolleyes:

#84 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

what is an unlawful assembly exactly? the article clearly reiterates the rights of citizens to peaceably assemble. Are you saying the constitution doesn't apply here?

#85 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

what is an unlawful assembly exactly? the article clearly reiterates the rights of citizens to peaceably assemble. Are you saying the constitution doesn't apply here?

That's correct.

Walker et al enacted a new law prohibiting peaceable assembly in groups of 20 or more without a special permit.

They tried to get it for 4 or more people, but the judge upped it to 20.

It will be fought out in Wisconsin Federal court this coming winter.

#86 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

Meanwhile, stuff like this keeps happening.

A couple people have been shoved down the stairs while handcuffed, and this particular guy is not nice at all.

Capitol Cop Throws Videographer to the Ground

August 5, 2013  by WCMC

Wisconsin Capitol Police have been arresting people in the Capitol for singing their grievances against the Scott Walker Administration without a permit for the last two weeks.

Today during one of the multiple arrests, Officer Michael J. Syphard grabbed videographer Arthur Kohl-Riggs and threw him to the ground without any kind of warning or request to move.

Officer Syphard told Kohl-Riggs that he fell on purpose and to “cut it out.” Syphard also told him he was a drama queen, a label he also applied to 70 year old Vietnam veteran Will Williams who fell down a set of marble stairs while handcuffed in police custody last week.

Here’s another video with clips from three different angles of the take down:

Capitol Police Chief David Erwin exhibits poor judgment in allowing Officer Syphard to continue to interact with the public in high stress situations. Members of the public have written multiple complaints about Officer Syphard for handling them roughly and causing them injury in the past.

According to on-line court records, last year Syphard was charged with the crimes of Disorderly Conduct (a misdemeanor) and Intimidate Victim/Use or Attempt Force (a felony). Those records indicate that he entered a guilty plea to the Disorderly Conduct charge and the other charge was dismissed. Records indicate that his case remains open, having been referred to the Deferred Prosecution Program.

syphard.jpg?w=610&h=610

Officer Syphard and two new hires. Photo by Craig Spaulding

Contact David Erwin at 608 266-8797.

B2 North
State Capitol
Madison, WI 53702

To support the legal defense fund of those who have received citations over the past two weeks please donate here: solidaritysingalong.org

The videos didn't transfer here, but here's the link.

http://wcmcoop.com/2...-to-the-ground/

#87 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

Wow talk about reaching for something. :lol:

That photographer was barely being touched (one hand on his arm) and he drops like a rock. If the cops are guilty of throwing people to the ground they should be held accountable but there's no doubt in my mind that guy takes a dive.  

https://www.youtube....gXeFjEYIc#at=42

#88 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

Wow talk about reaching for something. :lol:

That photographer was barely being touched (one hand on his arm) and he drops like a rock. If the cops are guilty of throwing people to the ground they should be held accountable but there's no doubt in my mind that guy takes a dive.  

https://www.youtube....gXeFjEYIc#at=42

So that's SOP, before speaking a word, grab people and push, pull them out of the way?  This guy was obviously not a threat.

#89 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,152 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

Ever been on a flight of stairs?

It doesn't take much to fall off stairs...certain generally applied physics are involved for a fall but it's easy enough for it to happen
:coffee:

#90 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

So that's SOP, before speaking a word, grab people and push, pull them out of the way?  This guy was obviously not a threat.

Word is they're getting pretty ballzy.

The cop even says "I don't have to" when asked "You grabbed me. You didn't tell me anything, correct?".

And this particular cop has a long history of hurting people during arrests - lots of complaints have been filed against him.

#91 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

And the lulz keep rolling in....    :lol:

1150363_10201849099334458_1505038992_n.j

#92 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:05 PM

She's got to get a walker and pimp it out with all that anti-Walker stuff then tell the cops she needs to use it when they go to take her away the next time she gets arrested. Have someone get a good shot of that and it'll go viral   ;)

#93 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

A pimped out Walker walker.  

I like it!   :clap:

#94 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,761 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

Governments are parasites feeding on peaceful people and exchanges.

#95 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,030 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

#96 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

Not too much action in this one, but a good view of a few of the Ragin Grans.

#97 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

We shall pause a moment to bring you this brief photo.

I call it, "Bearded Wooks at a Festy".

534874_693252480690390_2130194137_n.jpg

#98 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Vietnam War Veteran Arrested in Wisconsin Capitol While Standing Up for Free Speech

August 7, 2013  by Lady Forward

peace-flag.jpg?w=610

Vets for Peace flag taken from Vietnam War Veteran Mike Hearington.

Mike Hearington, a Vietnam War veteran with Veterans for Peace, was arrested over the noon hour for participating in the Solidarity Sing Along. Capitol Police took a large white Veterans for Peace flag from Harrington’s hands and rolled it up. They handcuffed Hearington and marched him out of the rotunda, followed by his fellow Veterans for Peace activists and a crowd of outraged supporters.

Another view:

1097837_659928664036670_543687263_o.jpg?

• Vet arrested, VFP flag confiscated.

“Veterans For Peace is a global organization of Military Veterans and allies whose collective efforts are to build a culture of peace by using our experiences and lifting our voices. We inform the public of the true causes of war and the enormous costs of wars, with an obligation to heal the wounds of wars. Our network is comprised of over 140 chapters worldwide whose work includes: educating the public, advocating for a dismantling of the war economy, providing services that assist veterans and victims of war, and most significantly, working to end all wars.”

131956_659942520701951_341547996_o.jpg?w

VFP at Solidarity SingAlong

To donate to the First Amendment Protection Fund which helps citizens with legal costs associated with citations for exercising Free Speech in the WI Capitol visit:http://solidaritysingalong.org/

#99 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

sad sad day in the police state that is Wisconsin .. police having no respect for vets. :(  who do they think fought for their freedoms??

#100 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,349 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

We shall pause a moment to bring you this brief photo.

I call it, "Bearded Wooks at a Festy".

:lol: