12 replies to this topic

#1 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:04 PM

http://www.buzzfeed....y-marr?s=mobile

Republican New York Senator Comes Out For Gay Marriage With Awesome Quote

Politics Buzz New York State Senator Roy McDonald, one of a handful of Republicans bucking their own party who will vote to legalize gay marriage in the state of New York, got sick and tired of being pushed around by gay marriage opponents. He released a statement to the press with the following quote. You did the right fucking thing, sir.

Senator Roy McDonald. "You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn't black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing," McDonald, 64, told reporters. "You might not like that. You might be very cynical about that. Well, fuck it, I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing. "I'm tired of Republican-Democrat politics. They can take the job and shove it. I come from a blue-collar background. I'm trying to do the right thing, and that's where I'm going with this."

#2 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:04 PM

yeah yeah...wrong forum :gop::funny1:

#3 alsoa

alsoa

Drunk

• VibeTribe
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:07 PM

:jamguy:

#4 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,908 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:07 PM

Good for him and all, and it's a great quote.

But if you read the press conference you'll see that the last time this came through he voted against it, not because of what he believed in, but as admitted by him because of politics and money.

So yes, it's great he's finally come around, and it's a great quote, and kudos to him for "doing the right thing" . But let's not lionize the man.

A republican could be more awesome than him. And some are.

#5 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:12 PM

But if you read the press conference you'll see that the last time this came through he voted against it, not because of what he believed in, but as admitted by him because of politics and money.

at least he's honest...give the man his due...this is extremely important and he's doing the right thing...obviously there was a battle within this guy between loyalty and conscience, and conscience won...worry about the rest later

#6 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,908 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:19 PM

give the man his due...this is extremely important and he's doing the right thing...obviously there was a battle within this guy between loyalty and conscience, and conscience won...worry about the rest later

totally agree on that. I've just seen people start to act like he's the best thing since sliced bread. What he's doing now is great. And it's a real good thing. And I commend him for it.

#7 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:19 PM

Sio, did we get that last vote....? :huh:

Or is this the follow up distraction from weinergate?

#8 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:25 PM

my gf's brother, who is gay and lives in new york, posted:

"no vote until next week if it even happens :-/"

#9 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:30 PM

I thought it was up thurs or fri?

Sounds like a rues. Hopes up'd. :plain:

#10 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:39 PM

i think it's gonna happen.

#11 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:11 PM

So, they recess for the summer :rolleyes: on Monday. I read in the LI press that we shouldn't expect the 1 vote to come from any of the 9 repub senators of the LI district.

One day to get this through before it sits on a desk for another go 'round...

What do you think, Dan? :huh:

#12 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:50 PM

....An unofficial head count leaves the issue at a 31-31 tie in the Senate, where Republicans have a 32-30 majority. Republican Sen. Roy McDonald of Saratoga and Rensselaer counties and James Alesi of Monroe County said this week they would support gay marriage, after voting against it in 2009.

Twenty-nine of 30 Democratic senators also committed to the measure and at least two Republican senators — Stephen Saland of Poughkeepsie and Mark Grisanti of Erie and Niagara counties — say they are undecided.

A tie in the 62-seat Senate would be a defeat, and some advocates including Cuomo have said they don't want the measure brought to the floor only to see it lose again. Democrats, however, could test the power of the lieutenant governor, Robert Duffy of Rochester, to break a tie.

But that rule is vague, saying it can only be used for "procedural" votes, and would likely be challenged in the courts.

Governer Andrew Cuomo released the following statement:
"The vote by the State Assembly has moved New York one step closer to making marriage equality a reality. I applaud these legislators' prompt and courageous support on this measure, which will finally allow same-sex couples the freedom to marry and provide them with hundreds of rights that others take for granted. I commend Speaker Sheldon Silver for his leadership and Assemblyman Daniel O'Donnell for his tireless work fighting for equality. We are on the verge of a pinnacle moment for this state."
Copyright Associated Press, Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed....

http://www.wivb.com/...e-Equality-Bill

#13 beerzrkr

beerzrkr
  • VibeTribe
  • 716 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:24 PM

The gov. shouldn't have anything to do with marriage. Not their job.