• Please log in to reply
418 replies to this topic

#101 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 471 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

I finally joined our local pool/health club.  Today will be my first swim since rediscovering swimming about a month ago.

I'll be giving up gluten immediately after the weekend...as well as meat (I'll eat what I have, but buy no more).  Same with cheese...which I love...but it isn't doing me any good.  Likewise processed sugar.

Major league life changes.  It's time to reclaim what I squandered over the last few decades.

It's a good thing I like vegetables, fruit and hummus.

#102 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

Onward and upward bud.  :beard:

#103 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 471 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:15 PM

Onward and upward bud.  :beard:

Thanks, CTRM.  That's the only option. :)

#104 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 471 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:03 AM

Started slowly today with a 1/4 mile swim.

#105 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,096 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:58 AM

cool.

#106 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

Started slowly today with a 1/4 mile swim.

Nice!!

Had a simple 2k recovery swim followed by a bonus weights session in the gym afterwards.  Btw, nothing screams 'pump iron you little sissy girl' like the Drive-By Truckers.

#107 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 471 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

I was surprised how much effort it took to swim just 1/4 mile.  It took less effort to swim 1/2 mile a month ago.  I think it's because I went to the pool at 3PM on Friday...and last month I was swimming in the morning.

#108 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

I was surprised how much effort it took to swim just 1/4 mile.  It took less effort to swim 1/2 mile a month ago.  I think it's because I went to the pool at 3PM on Friday...and last month I was swimming in the morning.

I have also found that my best swim workouts happen in the mornings.  Not sure why.  Take frequent breaks every 4-5 laps in the beginning (15-20 secs) until you're turning ove smoothly. 

13k long run this afternoon (12k @ pace in 1:02:31 - feeling damn good about that).  Great soundtrack.  Great day for a run.  And I bumped into my old buddy today along Nigh Rd again.  A red & grey hawk that appears to me in the middle of nowhere, like, frequently.  I'm beginning to think we're connected somehow.  I know it's crazy given the number of hawks around here, but I'm sure it's the same one.  Today he wasn't 8 ft. above my head and just watched me pass underneath him; calm as a cucumber.

#109 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 471 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:15 AM

I'll be hitting the pool after the morning crowd thins tomorrow.

#110 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:06 AM

Did swet FA today and loved every monute of it.

#111 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,904 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:36 AM

“You might want to consider working on your reach a bit…”

:lol:

#112 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:13 AM

Second to last session in the Brock kinesiology oven; 2+ hours on the Velotron.  More Truckers, more sweat, more pain, more IV's, more rectal thermometers. 

Thank God this is almost over...it's killing me.  Easily the most intense (and invasive) thing I ever done. 

"It's all for science". Whatever.  Science sucks.  lol.

#113 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:14 AM

“You might want to consider working on your reach a bit…”

:lol:

You'd be surprised how often I hear that. 

#114 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:01 AM

In lieu of yesterday's hard workout and this morning "love note" from the child, I spend two hours of cuddle time in the chamber watching Disney.

#115 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 471 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:06 AM

Had an excellent swim today.  Last time, no so much...but this time everything clicked.

#116 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:12 AM

Had an excellent swim today.  Last time, no so much...but this time everything clicked.

Nice!

Suffered through another 90 minute Masters Spin Class.

#117 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

5k easy run w/ drills along the Friendship Trail. First snow of the season.

#118 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:17 PM

HARD 3.3k swim in the pool with the coach, complete with two dozen sprint sets.  A short functional strength, and a lazy weights session afterwards.

#119 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

Swam 1/4 mile + 4 laps yesterday.

#120 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

Swam 1/4 mile + 4 laps yesterday.

Great Job, Cur!

Cold, wet and windy 10.25k long "recovery" run.  Attempted to keep warm by reminecing over a past convert experience at the "All Good Music Festival" in 2002.

#121 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:26 AM

Cold, wet abandoned run (3.75k), and a functional strength set at the gym later on.

#122 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:49 AM

Last 2+ hour spin in the oven as part of the Brock University ‘Separate and Combined Effects of Hydration Status and Thirst on Voluntary Exercise’ study.  If I ever see another probe again in this lifetime it will be too damn soon.

#123 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:59 PM

Quick-paced 5k tempo run (new personal best this year) and a slow weights session this evening with run drills and fancy-ass Pilates moves.

#124 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,882 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:59 AM

I'm joining the roller derby league...first clinic is mid december and training starts mid January- so that's two months to get as in shape as possible....I quit drinking and smoking, and last nights workout was really intense- feel like I pushed myself harder than I would have otherwise. I think kicking some ass is a good motivator. :grin:

#125 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:59 PM

I've had the cold from hell for the last 2 weeks (thanks Phish wooks  :usuck:  ) and finally got back into the gym this morning.

#126 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

today is the 9th day Ive gone for a 1.5 mile walk on the beach and caught the sunrise.  A great way to start the day, today's sunrise was reallyt spectacular!  Fata Morgana mirage and everything!

#127 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:16 AM

First Mental toughness training day of the off-season; no more Mr. Nice Guy.

2.7k speed set in the pool, 90 minute Masters spin class followed by a 20 minute Brick run.

#128 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,882 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:35 AM

wow. 

#129 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,882 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:37 AM

I hate that I start to feel nauseated during my strength training cardio workouts. mostly when I'm doing cardio stuff and then have to lift weights above my head- my stomach goes- You sure you wanna do that? :lol:

#130 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:59 PM

I hate that I start to feel nauseated during my strength training cardio workouts. mostly when I'm doing cardio stuff and then have to lift weights above my head- my stomach goes- You sure you wanna do that? :lol:

I have experienced that myself.  I have learned to take a few minutes to transition between disciplines (unless, back to back workouts is the point of your exercise).  Try walking on the track for 5 minutes after your cardio set, or do light stretches for 10 minutes before starting your weights.  the body needs time to change and switch directions.  I purposely do back to back workouts (Bricks) as I need to get accustomed to switching disciplines rapidly, as that is the nature of triathlon.  But if that's not crucial to your workout, transition slowly and gradually.  Makes sense as you want to begin both routines fully charged and refreshed so you can maximize your efforts and/or results. 

Recovery day today.  We're going to see Gravity at the cinemas tonight as 'date night'.  I'm even getting extra butter on my popcorn.

#131 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:01 PM

Early morning Masters swim massacre in the pool (4.95k, incl. 70 x 50m sprints), plus a little functional strength & core session afterwards.

#132 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,882 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:00 PM

Bringing the girls rollerskating tonight woo hoo! need totape my feet though, theyre callused and sore from dancing so hard last night at Panic. :gingersnap: Starting too work out a derby image...perhaps something turtletastic, you know hard shell for the blocks...maybe work in terrapin somehow...starting to form something. Purple and green fo sho. :smile:

Thanks for the tips CTRM!

#133 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for the tips CTRM!

Anytime.  When you're tired or fatigued your technique and form also tend to be sloppy by proxy, so that brief period of transition will do your back-to-back wonders. 

My coaches philosophy is:  Fatigued = sloppy = potential injury = bad

This formula has served me well.

#134 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,882 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

Today I went to a zumba class and in a little while I'll go till some soil. I quit smoking last week and haven't really even had any cravings. Feel really good. :smile: 

#135 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

Today I went to a zumba class and in a little while I'll go till some soil. I quit smoking last week and haven't really even had any cravings. Feel really good. :smile:

Excellent.  :)

Long 15k pace run into Sherkston and back.  Getting to feel strong and confident with my running.

#136 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:26 AM

3k drill swim in the pool and a functional strength/core session at the gym later in the evening while the kid had her own swimming lessons.

#137 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,882 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:46 AM

I did a zumba class yesterday and today and it was weird because both of them were really really easy, like way easier than when I was going to the gym 4 or 5 times a week and I just got back to it the past few weeks. I mean- I did juice before hand (beets, carrots, and a pear guys not roids lol) which  always helps give me good energy- but still, it hardly hurt at all. Step tomorrow then going  to Preservation Hall Jazz Band to boogie a little. :smile: 

Oh and I'm eating pretty darn well. 

#138 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:47 PM

5.75k easy run with drills this morning and a 30k mountain bike ride this afternoon.  Even discovered some new roads and pathes.

#139 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,882 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:55 AM

Okay the other day being easy was a fluke. :lol: Step cardio yesterday. 

Today I plan to talk to my coworker who is generally just hostile and miserable and makes everyone around her anxious and stressed about what's going on with her and how it's affecting her work and the peole around her that she is supposed to be supporting not making more anxious....I think that's a pretty healthy thing to do. 

#140 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:51 PM

Hit the weights, including some A/B/C running drills and lots and lots of push-ups.

#141 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,882 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:05 AM

Total Body Melt class tonight with all kinds of drills- it's really bad when you look forward to doing the pushup because it's the easy part of the exercise. :lol: Lots of abs and glutes stuff. And the fucker made me run. I said I would never run again unless it was for my life! 

I got really stressed this morning and for like 5 minutes had wicked urges for a cigarette but didn't have one and it passed and I didn't think about it again. Totally got this. 

#142 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:45 AM

5.4k Fartlek run this afternoon, 90 minute Masters spin class this evening.

#143 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,882 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:24 AM

Did a cardio step class tonight. 

#144 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

3.1k in the pool w/ the coach, 60 monutes of functional strength/core on the matt afterwards.

#145 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,882 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

I went rollerskating with the kids yesterday, which was super duper fun. I wanted to do some cardio today, but all week long I've had this thing going on with my calf muscle that like 30 minutes into a workpout it starts hurting- not really really bad, but enough that it's like, "Oh come on already!" So i think I'll just take the day off...sigh...maybe do some upper body weights this afternoon. 

#146 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,715 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

I did a zumba class yesterday and today and it was weird because both of them were really really easy, like way easier than when I was going to the gym 4 or 5 times a week and I just got back to it the past few weeks. I mean- I did juice before hand (beets, carrots, and a pear guys not roids lol) which  always helps give me good energy- but still, it hardly hurt at all. Step tomorrow then going  to Preservation Hall Jazz Band to boogie a little. :smile:

Oh and I'm eating pretty darn well. 

to get more out of zumba throw all inhibitions aside.  it's gratuitous butt shaking, that's it.   keep your core tight and put in lots of hip swivels (salsa), shakes (go crazy on a simple tap to the front), hip tilts (steps to the side) - get sexy with it.  :wink:   also go low on grapevines and other steps where you can so that you really use your legs.  if you like the dance aspect of it, just exaggerate the movements.  

gratuitous butt shaking :thup:

edit, i should say core tight, hips loose.  :)

#147 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,715 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

did you pick a name yet?  :D

#148 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,882 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

to get more out of zumba throw all inhibitions aside.  it's gratuitous butt shaking, that's it.   keep your core tight and put in lots of hip swivels (salsa), shakes (go crazy on a simple tap to the front), hip tilts (steps to the side) - get sexy with it.  :wink:   also go low on grapevines and other steps where you can so that you really use your legs.  if you like the dance aspect of it, just exaggerate the movements.  

gratuitous butt shaking :thup:

edit, i should say core tight, hips loose.  :)

I've never been counseled to make my hips looser- I'm totally going to try that! :lol: 

You are really right- I think this week will go better now that I am more familiar with the steps and can really work them. One particular teacher is way fancier than I think is necessary so I was all trying to get the steps down. Totally going to power punch it this week, which reminds me, I really want to find a kickboxing cardio class...I love those. 

Haven't picked a name yet but I figure we'll take all of the contenders we've come up with and decide over thanksgiving. I did start practicing and knocked over a whole bunch of 5 year olds rollerskating last night...working my way up to the teenagers. :lmao: 

#149 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

I wanted to do some cardio today, but all week long I've had this thing going on with my calf muscle that like 30 minutes into a workpout it starts hurting- not really really bad, but enough that it's like, "Oh come on already!"

Could be improper (or inefficient) daily hydration or a weakness in your core or glute muscles.  Think:  "Functional Strength" development (squats, "tipping birds", planks, glute bridges, calf raises, wall sits, A/B/C drills, etc).  I suggest forgetting the weights for the time being and get back to proper form and normal muscle development, otherwise you might be loading a future inefficiency (i.e. potentially serious injury).  ;)

Ran long out to the Point Abino lighthouse and back (18k). Cold!  Damn cold.

#150 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:50 AM

Gentle functional strength/core workout as i'm nursing a knotted lef calf muscle after yesterday's long run.