• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,432 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

PAUL: The coup that isn’t as Obama disregards his duty to cut off Egyptian aid

Egypt has undergone a coup, deposed its leader and the military has installed a new president. The situation is unpredictable, unstable and volatile. The country remains in a state of unrest.

What do we do? We send them F-16s.

U.S. law states that we can’t send military and other types of aid to any country whose duly elected head of state is deposed by a coup. U.S. law clearly says that we cannot send such aid where the military plays a decisive role in the coup.

This law allows no presidential waiver. Aid cannot be reconsidered or restored until a democratically elected government is elected.

Yet, as President Obama has so often done with other laws and even the Constitution, he ignores it.

The Obama administration has refused to acknowledge that the military takeover in Egypt is a coup. When asked directly to spell out the State Department’s definition of a coup, spokeswoman Jen Psaki refused, saying only that, “I’m happy to get you that, but I wouldn’t ascribe, you know, specific words. Each scenario is different. And if you need our specific, formal, government definition, we’ll get that around to everybody.”

The State Department has yet to send a response.

We once had a president who parsed the meaning of the word “is.” Now we have a president who denies a coup has taken place in Egypt when, by any conventional definition, it most certainly has. The president of Egypt was placed under house arrest. The military took over the television stations. The military took control of local police and all forms of local and national government.

Still, Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told CNN, “If this were to be seen as a coup, then it would limit our ability to have the kind of relationship we think we need with the Egyptian armed forces.”

Thursday morning, it was reported that this relationship included delivering four F-16 fighter jets to Egypt in the next few weeks in addition to the eight we sent in January. Another eight are scheduled to ship later this year.

To what end?

In January 2011, some of the jets we gave to President Hosni Mubarak were used to intimidate protesters — the same people whose protests helped to overthrow Mr. Mubarak and replace him with Mohammed Morsi. Not surprisingly, Gallup reported in February 2012 that 71 percent of Egyptians opposed U.S. foreign aid to their country.

When both Mr. Mubarak and Mr. Morsi were overthrown, protesters held signs criticizing U.S. aid to “dictators.”

It should also be noted that when the Egyptian military helped oust Mr. Mubarak — the classic definition of a coup d’etat — the Obama administration also declined to acknowledge even then that a coup had taken place.

When we continued giving F-16s to Mr. Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood after Mr. Mubarak, I offered an amendment to stop military aid to Egypt.

It was defeated 79-19.

The United States has cut off weapons aid in the past after military officers overthrew civilian governments in the Ivory Coast, the Central African Republic, Fiji, Honduras and Mali. In Egypt, however, where the regimes are constantly changing, our foreign-aid policy never does.

This week, I introduced legislation again that would cut off foreign aid to Egypt. We either have a nation of laws, or we don’t. If we are a nation of laws, foreign aid to Egypt should immediately end.

If instead, we are now just governed by popular prejudice and unlimited executive ability to contravene the law, then perhaps we should be looking at Washington to determine whether or not a coup has occurred.

Sen. Rand Paul, Kentucky Republican, is a member of the Senate Foreign Relations and Homeland Security committees.

http://www.washingto.../#ixzz2ZUPyEnX1 

The Daily show had a good piece on this last night (be sure to let it play through to the 2nd segment to watch the administration's spokespersons playing the $100,00 pyramid)   :thumbsup:

http://www.thedailys...everybody-coups

#2 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,235 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

Vibes is next week.  I wil care about this stuff again after that.

#3 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,353 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

Well, I have to say, I am truly shocked over this.

#4 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,539 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

Well, I have to say, I am truly shocked over this.

Your winnings, sir.

#5 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,111 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

Are you awed as well?

#6 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,353 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

Seriously. Why would anyone believe that suddenly this administration give a shit about the rule of law? It's fucking ridiculous. It's just another smudging of the lines in a long list of unconstitutioal and unlawful behavior.

#7 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,235 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

Yet, as President Obama has so often done with other laws and even the Constitution, he ignores it.

See below, but I have taken note of this.

Vibes is next week.  I wil care about this stuff again after that.

#8 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,353 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

I wouldn't bother caring at all ever. It's not going to change and no one is going to do anything about it except complain.The next president adn adminsitration will be worse than this one as this one was worse than the one before it and so on.

We're just along for the ride. We have no voice in this and our opinions dont matter. representational government, is just another failure like every other form of government. Until we realize this, it's business as usual. Meanwhile, everyone wants to keep polishing a turd as though at some point it will be nice and shiny and smell good. It's a farce.

#9 Uncle Coulro

Uncle Coulro
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Meanwhile, everyone wants to keep polishing a turd as though at some point it will be nice and shiny and smell good. It's a farce.

1228517_f520.jpg

#10 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,353 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

Meanwhile, everyone wants to keep polishing a turd as though at some point it will be nice and shiny and smell good. It's a farce.

1228517_f520.jpg

:lmao:

Well played, sir. Well played.

#11 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

fucking Egypt can have an F-16 but I can't????????

#12 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,235 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:38 AM

20090503-GOP-Polished-Turd.jpg

#13 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,432 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

Going on 3 weeks now and Obama and the WH are still not acknowledging that this a coup while they continuing to arm and send aid.

But hey, Trayvon could have been Obama 35 years ago  :picardfp:

#14 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,353 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

Most divisve pres. ever. And I thought G.W.Bush was taking that cake, but he has been out done.

#15 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,235 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

Vibes was last week.  Not sure I care about this stuff yet.

Still to distracted from the good time at Vibes.

Also, a week of absolutely no phone, or news.  That made me happy.  Although slowly being pulled back to reality.  Working for first time today Since 7/19.

#16 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,432 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

#17 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,432 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

Looks like even the folks over at MSNBC have come around

Obama should call it a coup

President Obama is approaching his Churchillian moment in Egypt, doing the right thing after exhausting every other alternative. It is time to end the Hamlet-like debate, decide to decide and call it a coup. The credibility of the United States is on the line.

The Obama administration made a fair wager last month, leaving $1.3 billion in military aid in place after the Egyptian military, backed by popular demand, forced from power the duly elected but ineffective government of Mohammed Morsi. By not calling the action a coup, it skirted a legal requirement to suspend aid in the aftermath of a military coup.

Much more

http://tv.msnbc.com/...call-it-a-coup/

#18 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,432 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

Still nothing

Suspend aid to Egypt, national security team tells Obama

President Barack Obama's national security team has recommended the U.S. suspend hundreds of millions of dollars in aid to Egypt over the Egyptian military's ouster of President Mohammed Morsy, U.S. officials said.

The recommendation, officials said, was made in a "principals meeting" last week of the president's national security team, including National Security Adviser Susan Rice, Secretary of State John Kerry and Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel. The meeting was the culmination of months of debate within the administration about how to respond to the July 3 ouster of Morsy, Egypt's first democratically elected leader.

The Obama administration has not labeled Morsy's removal from office a "coup." Such a designation would require a cut in all but humanitarian aid. The White House has said it was in U.S. national security interests to keep the aid intact, although it did delay delivery of some fighter planes.

But after U.S. calls to the Egyptian military for restraint over the last month were met with a heavy-handed crackdown on Morsy supporters, Obama canceled a joint military exercise and announced a new review of U.S. aid to Egypt.

That aid totals $1.5 billion a year, $1.3 billion of which goes to the Egyptian military. The rest is economic assistance, some of which goes to the government and some goes to other groups, although only aid to the government would be suspended and could be reinstated once a democratic government is re-established.

Officials said Obama's advisers recommended that the cut in aid include all foreign military financing to the Egyptian military, except funding toward security in the Sinai Peninsula and along the Egyptian border with the Gaza strip. The Sinai has become increasingly unstable over the past year, with U.S. troops in the area monitoring the peace treaty with Egypt coming under increased threat.

The officials said they didn't expect Obama to make a decision until after Congress votes on his request to authorize military strikes on Syria, which is not expected until next week.

"The president has not made a decision to suspend or terminate our assistance to Egypt beyond what the administration has already announced," said Caitlin Hayden, spokeswoman for the National Security Council. "The national security team continues to review all of our assistance to Egypt."

http://edition.cnn.c...-aid/?hpt=po_c2

#19 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,447 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

What exactly is the reason for not calling it a coup at thispoint?

]

What does Egypt do for US interests...and why is it important to not cut the aid?  Things that are unclear to me regardiung the entire situation.  I would like to know what the possible blowback of cutting Egypt's aid might be

#20 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,432 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

Right now we're basically aiding in and supporting the takeover of a democratically elected government. They weren't our puppets and as long as we don't label it a "coup" we aren't breaking our laws and can continue to fund "the resistance." Once it's called a coup that aid is supposed to stop.

We want "our people" in charge so we can call the shots and have some say in helping to protect our interests in the region, mainly Israel and oil. If we label it a coup and have to stop supporting the military take over then those interests could be threatened.

#21 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,353 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

IN other words, the US Govt. doesn't give a flying shit about spreading democracy or any of the other false talking points they have fed the plebs for decades. It's all about govt. control interests in a region.

#22 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,447 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:35 PM

Suez Canal is the answer we were looking for.

No points this time guys.

#23 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,353 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

the law be damned....