anyone else flying solo?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 greenbud

greenbud
  • VibeTribe
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:06 AM

Well, probably :yahhh: ain't the worst way to go!   :darkgigotlevrai: :hoff: :impaled:

#2 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,685 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:35 AM

I think a lot of us started out going solo.  You meet so many folks just in the campgrounds.  

#3 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,944 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

Not this time.  :crazy:

#4 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,585 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

Not this time.   :crazy:

:) :) :)

#5 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,585 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

So wait, does flying Solo mean flying with a Wookie, which isn't flying solo after all?

#6 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,944 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

Ah, flying with a wook, k'angd.

#7 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

I think a lot of us started out going solo.  You meet so many folks just in the campgrounds.  

yep, that was me 12 years ago.

#8 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,685 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

I started solo.  Now I know more people here than I could ever imagine.   

#9 Occifer Boland

Occifer Boland
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,426 posts
  • LocationHazlet, NJ

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

I have always drove in solo, because I like sticking to my schedule of arrival and departure

#10 DaMoGan

DaMoGan
  • VibeTribe
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

I have always drove in solo, because I like sticking to my schedule of arrival and departure

I always take the train down from Boston, solo.  That's worked out well for me, except for the first year, when it was eleventy-brazillian degrees and I decided to walk from the train station.  20 bucks for a cab to go basically 1.5 miles? I don't think so! (The Vibes bus was no where to be seen that year, FWIW....)

#11 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,372 posts
  • LocationNew Haven

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:06 AM

I went solo my first year, duo my second year and after that...well, I met all of you kwazy kids.

#12 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,002 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

this is why one must be exceedingly selective about their festival/travel partners! but when you find a good fit, keep it! :D

<<< has had a vibes "good fit" for the last 9 vibes :heart: (( :jambear: ))

#13 greenbud

greenbud
  • VibeTribe
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

Oh, such awesome support here! I'll know and meet people there, but I'll be setting up camp alone.  So I've got a question for those who've come in only carrying what they could on their backs.  I'm training it in so I'll have no pre-bought food/snacks etc. Anyone know of a supermarket within walking distance?  I can't see eating vendor food four full days. 

Thank you thank you! 

#14 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,002 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

Oh, such awesome support here! I'll know and meet people there, but I'll be setting up camp alone.  So I've got a question for those who've come in only carrying what they could on their backs.  I'm training it in so I'll have no pre-bought food/snacks etc. Anyone know of a supermarket within walking distance?  I can't see eating vendor food four full days. 

Thank you thank you! 

this is not a neighborhood you really want to be walking around shopping in...best to bring some dried fruit and jerky and other small, packable munchies and go to vendors for a good hot meal or two every day...hell, i bet if you offered a neighbor with a big throwdown a few bucks, that they would feed you a plate of food! :smile:

#15 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

hell, i bet if you offered a neighbor with a big throwdown a few bucks, that they would feed you a plate of food! :smile:

This. gonna bank on a lot of food/drink sharing and bartering. Seems like these folks would roll that way.

#16 greenbud

greenbud
  • VibeTribe
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

oh, hope so! but seriously, there's just nothing like the neighbor mooch who's overstayed his welcome! :)  maybe if i put some dog ears on and try to look cute i'll get thrown some unfinished burger. 

#17 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

i think you would be ok walking around during the day, but then again i'm a guy from a big city.

there are a few convience type stores in the area and i think one or 2 may even deliver to the arches.

Seaside Grocery & Mt Market
292 Iranistan Ave, Bridgeport, , CT 06604

Seaside Liquors
320 Iranistan Ave, Bridgeport, , CT 06604

Pop's Grocery
0.36 mi

162 Main St, Bridgeport, CT

Between University Ave and Henry St

#18 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,594 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

I've walked around the hood - it's not that bad.

Just treat it like any big city and be aware of your surroundings.

And go during the daylight.

#19 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,002 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

yeah, i meant at dusk and beyond, daytime shouldnt be that bad but *I* wouldnt...but i am a scairty cat girl :rose:

#20 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,372 posts
  • LocationNew Haven

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

this is not a neighborhood you really want to be walking around shopping in...best to bring some dried fruit and jerky and other small, packable munchies and go to vendors for a good hot meal or two every day...hell, i bet if you offered a neighbor with a big throwdown a few bucks, that they would feed you a plate of food! :smile:

It's really not that bad.  Why is everyone so afraid of Bridgeport? It's not really any different than any city.

#21 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,002 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

if you had a sister at vibes, would you enthusiastically tell her to go walk a few blocks away to a store alone?

i mean, i know its not that bad

i do walk around the city

but not alone and not after dark...

i just like to make sure people know to be careful, is all

and yes, you are right, any city can be dangerous...

#22 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,084 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:24 AM

It's really not that bad.  Why is everyone so afraid of Bridgeport? It's not really any different than any city.

People are afraid of not having the comfort of their hometown feeling and exploring a town with other cultures.  Sort of a simple concept....these people are not like me so I should be afraid. 

#23 Guy Brarian

Guy Brarian
  • VibeTribe
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

A great new market opened up downtown a few weeks ago: https://www.facebook...ridgeportMarket

It's located directly across the street from the day parking garage. Why don't you hop a ride on the shuttle and get some supplies!

#24 smagnolia

smagnolia
  • VibeTribe
  • 292 posts
  • LocationRutland, VT

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

Yup, keep it during they day is the best advice.  I spent some years city living as well and would definitely venture out during the day but a few years back I went on a stroll in the evening and would NOT do it again.  

The cities I've lived in are major ones and I'm more used to the night life and activities, more people out and about.  Bridgeport is a much more depressed area with lots of vacant buildings and seems financially devastated.  In all fairness, I have just been in the area of Vibes and not ventured out but we are talking about walking distance, or a least the general vicinity of Seaside Park.

The local folks I have spoken too have been very friendly and seem generally happy to have us there to infuse their community with some much needed fun (and money)!

Peace......................

#25 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,002 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

People are afraid of not having the comfort of their hometown feeling and exploring a town with other cultures.  Sort of a simple concept....these people are not like me so I should be afraid. 

not that it matters, but...although i did take time to give a word of caution to those unaware, i am certainly not one of those who is afraid of places like bridgeport

i actually get there early every year and spend time walking and enjoying the city and frequenting establishments

hell, the staff at one place recognize me now after years of doing so!

i enjoy doing this no matter where i am and if money werent an issue, wold certainly be traveling the world, exploring and soaking up the cultures

but i would be careful and educate myself so i could do so in safety :wink:

it pained me to think that people might think i am one of those "never leave my comfort zone" folks

i was raised being afraid of 'different' but since my late teens, i have had a raging case of wanderlust and have loved pushing my boundaries

not that i think anyone cares, but *I* do :smile:

carry on :coffee:

#26 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,372 posts
  • LocationNew Haven

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

Of course, you should take caution...just as you should anywhere...I just wouldn't say "this is not a neighborhood you really want to be walking around shopping in." Who knows? Maybe it's because I live in a city and I have a decent street sense. I walk around New Haven at all hours of the night, but I know this city well. Or maybe it's because I'm a man (that's right...all man here), although I don't like to think like that...some people take offense.

...and to answer your question about my sister...well, she actually just moved out of Bridgeport, but not because she was afraid of walking around.

At any rate, I would not discourage anyone from walking to a supermarket in Bridgeport to get groceries, which is what the original inquiry was.

#27 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,002 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:02 PM

agreed and i stand corrected :smile:

#28 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,084 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:20 AM

not that it matters, but...although i did take time to give a word of caution to those unaware, i am certainly not one of those who is afraid of places like bridgeport

i actually get there early every year and spend time walking and enjoying the city and frequenting establishments

hell, the staff at one place recognize me now after years of doing so!

i enjoy doing this no matter where i am and if money werent an issue, wold certainly be traveling the world, exploring and soaking up the cultures

but i would be careful and educate myself so i could do so in safety :wink:

it pained me to think that people might think i am one of those "never leave my comfort zone" folks

i was raised being afraid of 'different' but since my late teens, i have had a raging case of wanderlust and have loved pushing my boundaries

not that i think anyone cares, but *I* do :smile:

carry on :coffee:

Lol/sorry...if I came across wrong.  Some people paint a bad image of Bridgeport...good people live there...some of them might have some challenges...some of them might commit some crimes that suck...  On one hand I would not tell my grandmother to walk down the street flashing  bling, on the other hand I would not tell someone the town is a shithole and to not leave Vibes and explore the town. 

Rock on and keep exploring....my odd rants have nothing to do with you rocking on...just my odd way of letting people know that Bridgeport is more than just VIBES. 

#29 Occifer Boland

Occifer Boland
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,426 posts
  • LocationHazlet, NJ

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:38 AM

to make it easy... Don't walk off of festival site... that is more time you are missing music and watching an occifer getting duct taped...   when coming to a festival ... bring adequate supplies to not have to walk off grounds....    Ice, for example... the ice truck will come around your camp to sell ice at 4 dollars a bag.... by the time you walk off grounds to buy ice for 2 dollars.. it will be half melted by the time you arrive at your campsite...     

#30 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,002 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

no, eco, it was my bad

i really didnt mean to come off as dissing bridgeport

i really didnt

i was just concerned that folks knew that it *could* be bad if they were to be in a vulnerable position at the wrong time, is all

i look forward to my time in bridgeport every year (i spend wednesday exploring and enjoying the city!)

i absolutely adore seaside park with its majestic views, seabreezes and trees, grass and beaches :clapping:

it has become a centering, rejuvenating place that feeds my soul every year and i cant wait to be back there! :bliss:

#31 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,002 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

Ice, for example... the ice truck will come around your camp to sell ice at 4 dollars a bag.... by the time you walk off grounds to buy ice for 2 dollars.. it will be half melted by the time you arrive at your campsite...     

at schwetty vibes it was a TREAT to be the one chosen to schlep ice as carrying the bag of ice was NICE :D

of course, it was half-melted from laying on your neck (cooling you down), but man, it was worth it :lol:

#32 darkczar

darkczar
  • VibeTribe
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

Hey Greenbud, I am also training up solo from NYC.  I'm going up friday late morning.

#33 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,084 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:36 AM

no, eco, it was my bad

i really didnt mean to come off as dissing bridgeport

i really didnt

i was just concerned that folks knew that it *could* be bad if they were to be in a vulnerable position at the wrong time, is all

i look forward to my time in bridgeport every year (i spend wednesday exploring and enjoying the city!)

i absolutely adore seaside park with its majestic views, seabreezes and trees, grass and beaches :clapping:

it has become a centering, rejuvenating place that feeds my soul every year and i cant wait to be back there! :bliss:

Lol, explore 2 Boots next to the Holiday Inn Wednesday evening....I might be there for their lovely pizza if they have open mic night.  If not you might see me biking around town out of boredom Wednesday....

#34 greenbud

greenbud
  • VibeTribe
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

Thanks all! This is no doubt not my first vibes experience - just everyone I know going is sleeping in hotels. I know, wtf, right?   I've actually been going pretty regularly since they started back in '97 at SUNY Purchase believe it or not. This'll be my fourth or fifth time in Bridgeport - but the difference being I've always had a car with supplies and to think about not having a cooler full of cold beer and/or snacks/food was just not the way this guy wants to spend 4 days.  I've even walked around a little bit in the vicinity of the arch but it always seemed as if there was zero infrastructure in sight.

Well, all's well that ends well, a super-kind soul and boardie regular has given me the keys to his city - bringing food, beer, cooler, stove, etc. etc. etc. for two - I'll probably never eat better at the fest than this time around so the Board delivers!!  @darkczar - I'm not missing a minute so I'm probably going to be getting there well before most even make it to their spaces on Thursday depending on when the shuttle starts -- we all know what the line is like getting on the first day.   Hey, if you need some company, just send me a pm.  I cannot ask for a (now) stranger to buy food for three, but perhaps something can be worked out. 

To all - an amazing four days!  all i can say is - Friday's my dream day - not a boring moment for 16 hours! :)