Photo
- - - - -

First Republican NY State Senator to announce support for same sex marriage bill

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,035 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:31 PM

This is pretty significant and is a good sign. The NY Post (I think) yesterday reported that 7 or more republicans were ready to support the bill, but none have publicly done so until:

State Sen. Jim Alesi, R-Perinton, says he'll support gay marriage

Zoom
Photos

Posted Image

provided

By AP
Messenger Post
Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 05:11 PM
Last update Jun 13, 2011 @ 05:20 PM
<table class="m10t tools" cellpadding="0px" cellspacing="0px" width="443px"><tbody><tr><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">
</td><td style="vertical-align: middle; text-align: right; margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Albany, N.Y.

#2 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,035 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

For those not following this. The Senate adjourns this week. They needed 6 votes as of the beginning of the week, they got 3 of the 4 remaining Democratic senators (leaving one Dem. against ), so they need 2 more votes to end the discrimination in this state. I hope the NY Post is right!

#3 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,028 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:37 PM

Nice!

#4 Royce5000

Royce5000
  • VibeTribe
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:37 PM

This should have been something new york voted and passed along time ago, hope this gets passed!!!!:jamguy:

#5 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

NY (and about 25 others) allows first cousins to marry, buy not gays....

http://www.ncsl.org/...aspx?tabid=4266

#6 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,028 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:46 PM

NY (and about 25 others) allows first cousins to marry, buy not gays....

http://www.ncsl.org/...aspx?tabid=4266

:undecided:

#7 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:08 PM

[I]Alesi still hasn

#8 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,568 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:09 PM

I've removed mine. and sorry, time and place. The focus should be on what could be a major source of joy for NYers.

#9 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:17 PM

OTOH it could be the source of major disappointment for many NYers.

Everyone knows marriage should be between one weiner and one bun , not two weiners :loopeye:

#10 Royce5000

Royce5000
  • VibeTribe
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:21 PM

OTOH it could be the source of major disappointment for many NYers.

Everyone knows marriage should be between one weiner and one bun , not two weiners :loopeye:

Yes this is true, but is it really going to be marriage, or will it just be a civil union??? The idea of marriage has been embedded in our brains as one weiner and one bun, so does it even matter if all it is, is a civil union??? It is still not a marriage, plus the idea of acceptance if another issue, so yes could be major disappointment to NY'ers, but it's only a baby step for the gay community.... Even here in massachusetts it's still only a civil union, blah blah blah, I say who cares, let them marry and be miserable like the rest of us right, lol :lol::crazy::v:

#11 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:38 PM

:lol:

See, I'm for the civil unions with all the rights (and the misery) but I don't think it should be called "marriage"

#12 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,035 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:05 PM

NY Times editorial

#13 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:45 PM

[quote name='Joker'][I]

#14 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,035 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:51 PM

i think that's fair...you don't need a church to get married

having the part that assures that clergy need not participate is completely unnecessary. Right now clergy can decide they don't want to officiate because you admit to having made out with each other.. or whatever religious reason they have.

Still, if that's what needs to be explicitly in the bill to get the votes.......

#15 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:52 PM

Only because I was raised with marriage as being between a man and a woman.

#16 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,488 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:17 PM

having the part that assures that clergy need not participate is completely unnecessary. Right now clergy can decide they don't want to officiate because you admit to having made out with each other.. or whatever religious reason they have.

Still, if that's what needs to be explicitly in the bill to get the votes.......

I wouldn't call it "completely unnecessary." My guess is that sort of wording might be included in an effort to prevent frivilous lawsuits being filed against churches who, due to their tenets, would not be willing to perform a marriage ceremony for a homosexual couple. We do live in a very litigious society and I could see this happening. Mind you, this is purely guessing on my part. I could be completely off the mark.

#17 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,035 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

I understand that concern.

But my understanding is that is already part of existing law. Clergy are not required to marry anyone and have their full religious discretion at their disposal.

For example, mixing of wool and cotton clothing, 'mixed race' marriage, not attending church regularly, could all be reasons a clergy declines to officiate a marriage.

#18 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:06 PM

I was raised where my father beat my mother. Should I continue the tradition?

(NOTE: Not really, my dad never hit my mom, or anyone else as far as I know....)

#19 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:11 PM

i was raised catholic but i'm not that naive:wink:

#20 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,488 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:12 PM

I understand that concern.

But my understanding is that is already part of existing law. Clergy are not required to marry anyone and have their full religious discretion at their disposal.

For example, mixing of wool and cotton clothing, 'mixed race' marriage, not attending church regularly, could all be reasons a clergy declines to officiate a marriage.

I guess it depends on the denomination. I've never heard of the wool/cotton clothing issue you mentioned (can you explain?) and since my husband is no longer a practicing Catholic and therefore not a regular churchgoer, our marriage would have been considered "of mixed faith" and would probably have been an issue 30 or 40 years ago. These days, not so much.

Like I said, just a guess on my part. I do believe your initial assumption is correct but in today's society, you have to cover all your bases (sad to say).

#21 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:03 PM

I was raised where my father beat my mother. Should I continue the tradition?

(NOTE: Not really, my dad never hit my mom, or anyone else as far as I know....)

i was raised catholic but i'm not that naive:wink:

We were all raised different.

Why not have another word to define a same sex union? In my world the definition of marriage was a man and a woman, I just don't think it should be changed.

Of course "gay" meant something different back then too :lol:

#22 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:05 PM

words evole. One of the many pleasures of the English language.

#23 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,035 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:29 PM

I've never heard of the wool/cotton clothing issue you mentioned (can you explain?)

I should have said wool and linen. Known as shatnez

#24 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:31 PM

words evole. One of the many pleasures of the English language.

right...words like marriage:rose:

#25 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:36 PM

right...words like marriage:rose:

exactly

#26 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,488 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:40 PM

I should have said wool and linen. Known as shatnez

Hmmm... never knew that. Learned something today! :cool:

#27 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,035 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:48 PM

Hmmm... never knew that. Learned something today! :cool:

It's kinda nutty!

It would have to be a pretty darn orthodox type to not marry someone for wearing wool with linen! "We got shul three times a day, keep kosher and the shabbat, but darn I love Angelheart clothing! " :lol:

#28 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,488 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:56 PM

It's kinda nutty!

It would have to be a pretty darn orthodox type to not marry someone for wearing wool with linen! "We got shul three times a day, keep kosher and the shabbat, but darn I love Angelheart clothing! " :lol:

Yeah, that's pretty hardcore. Kinda like a Catholic priest refusing to marrry you because you goofed during Lent & ate meat on a Friday. :funny1: (No, you're not supposed to, but in the world of sins... its really, really minor)

#29 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:03 PM

ps...wrong forum'd

(aye if the show fits me and tasb, why not everyone? :dunno: )

#30 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,035 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:05 PM

The governor has unveiled his bill today

According to the Daily News:
"
The long anticipated proposal requires the same legal rights for same-sex couples who marry as heterosexual couples.
And it prohibits local clerks from nixing marriage license applications from gay couples.
In hopes of attracting key Senate Republican votes, Cuomo's bill also offers exemptions from anti-discrimination laws to religious groups and affiliated organizations.
The Knights of Columbus, for instance, would be allowed to bar same sex couples from renting out catering hall space.
The bill also specifies that no clergy would be forced to perform marriage ceremonies for gay couples."

#31 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,028 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:05 PM

Damn it, vic. I had an over/under going to see just how long this political AND religious thread would sit in family while mine got moved.... :joker:

PS _ I always put mine in the proper forum out of respect for VGs and saving them the trouble, but Im thinking that practice is over.....

#32 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,035 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:08 PM

vic, this is a current (this week) event with information that is changing. Has more to do with civil rights and love than politics, though certainly it overlaps

#33 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:11 PM

it is a political issue dealing with politicians and law...with a touch of religious discussion

and it's festival season

wrong forum'd

#34 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,035 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:12 PM

Newsday reports Sen. Alesi (the republican who came out with support) predicts the bill will pass with 35 votes

#35 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,028 posts

PFFFFT. It's a political and religious discussion. :rotf:

Last i checked marriage had nothing to do with love and everything to do with religion.

#36 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,975 posts

ps...wrong forum'd

(aye if the show fits me and tasb, why not everyone? :dunno: )

You must be new around here

Welcome to the boards

:gop:

#37 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,028 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:14 PM

:gop:

#38 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,035 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:16 PM

Here's the text of the bill: http://governor.ny.g...qualitybill.pdf
The memo:http://governor.ny.g...itybillmemo.pdf

Bill would be law 30 days after being signed. Could be just around Grassroots (in NY) and Vibes !!

#39 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:17 PM

billsbillsbillspoliticspoliticspolitics

#40 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,028 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:18 PM

:rotf:

the double standard is clear here. Oh well. The onslaught of politics in family will ensue, brehs.

#41 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:27 PM

You guys are doing it all wrong (fuckin rookies) :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Edited by Joker, 14 June 2011 - 08:38 PM.
I don't want to get banned, yeah I'm a pussy

#42 Uncle Coulro

Uncle Coulro
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:30 PM

The Knights of Columbus, for instance, would be allowed to bar same sex couples from renting out catering hall space.

That's pretty crafty, since it's likely this provision would not stand against a legal challenge. A KofC hall is not, strictly speaking, a religious institution. If a hall owner rents for any wedding receptions other than those subsequent to a sacramental Catholic wedding, they'll be required to rent to any legally "married" couple. This obviously illegal provision of the pending law will be voided by the first court which hears the challenge.

Once the definition of "marriage" is broadened, a venue, like a KofC hall, by virtue of past SCOTUS rulings, must be made available to all (unless the owner decides to restrict rentals to sacramentally married Catholics) on an equal basis. Just as a wedding hall owner can't refuse to rent to a black or interracial married couple, the case will be made they can't refuse a gay couple's reception. KofC councils will be forced to get out of the wedding reception business, or restrict the rentals only to those sacramentally wedded.

Very clever.

#43 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,028 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:31 PM

Oh, i haven't even begun yet. I'm gonna flood family with politics. They will need to assign a VG to moving my posts.... :lol::crazy:

#44 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,488 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:32 PM

Oh, i haven't even begun yet. I'm gonna flood family with politics. They will need to assign a VG to moving my posts.... :lol::crazy:

Cool. I'll volunteer.

#45 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:32 PM

the double standard is clear here. Oh well. The onslaught of politics in family will ensue, brehs.

i won't say anything else about where threads should be...it's a silly game for the morons that just wanna talk about absurd mundane crap and don't wanna be bothered with reality...i was just making a point...this is a pretty important subjectthat hits home for me

#46 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,028 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:33 PM

get yer clicker ready, mel.......

I used to do it myself out of respect, but apparently there is a standard that is double so I will have to make it a headache.

#47 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:35 PM

Cool. I'll volunteer.

ummm...why is this still here then?

#48 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,028 posts

i won't say anything else about where threads should be...it's a silly game for the morons that just wanna talk about absurd mundane crap and don't wanna be bothered with reality...i was just making a point...this is a pretty important subjectthat hits home for me

I know but I had an over/under about to pop off and you blew up my spot. Sio, I had to :joker: at ya about it.

#49 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,028 posts

ummm...why is this still here then?

To spite the situation......

#50 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:36 PM

get yer clicker ready, mel.......

I used to do it myself out of respect, but apparently there is a standard that is double so I will have to make it a headache.

cool. i will volunteer.