I need some crafty advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Beany

Beany
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:56 PM

We found this great oval wooden coffee table in the garbage. It's great because benji won't bump his head on the corners. It was all messed up, so i painted it and shelacked the top, but the brush strokes are showing and the shelack is chipping off. Did i not put enough coats on? What else can I do to the top? I can tile it I guess, but i really want it to be simple becuase it's on top of a really busy rug. Any suggestions?

#2 lil pixi

lil pixi
  • VibeTribe
  • 545 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:30 AM

Have you thought about possibly sanding the entire thing down & using a Polyurethane?

What kind of paint did you use?

#3 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:55 PM

Did you sand it down first? If there was a lot of paint/dirt/dust/whatever under the shellac, that may be why it is chipping now. Also I'm not sure if you are supposed to use shellac over paint...isn't it supposed to go straight on the wood?

if it's a good wooden table (with a nice grain), maybe sand it down, get rid of the paint and stuff with paint thinner, and then shellac it again?

If you want a quick fix, you can always re-shellac it over the old layer of shellac.

#4 ruralmamma

ruralmamma
  • VibeTribe
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:54 PM

we are crazy nature people so since our babies like to put things like table edges in their mouthes... we prolly would have sanded the entire thing down.. or done it as best we can and rubbed some beeswax polish into it orrr painted it with some eco water based paint.. but thats just us... can you sand it down?? Im not helpfull am I?

#5 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,407 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:58 PM

sand it down, repaint(i like the antique look myself..so I'd go over it with a watered down darker color and then rub off) then spray it with polyurthene...