do you leave your AC on for your pets ?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,756 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

and if you do, what do you set the temp at ?

whole house, one room ?

how hot does it have ot be outside / inside before you turn it on ?

i don't feel right about letting my little fellow bake when it's hot outside, but i don't want to take a loan to pay for the juice either.

#2 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,930 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

I do.  I turn down (turn up?) the AC a little.  I keep the AC on a little anyway, rather than wait until I get home.

#3 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,747 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

Right now, my whole house AC isn't working, so I just have one window unit, and I let it run all day. If they get hot, they know what room is the coolest.

Also, you want to keep your house at a modestly cooler temp in the summer, because as far as energy used, you're still gonna suck up a lot of juice trying to cool off your hotter house when you get home from work. If you don't have central air, I would recommend a window one, and just keep one room nice for your fur buddy. You can also get a standup fan and suck air out of there into the rest of the house, and spread it out a little for yourself as well, instead of just chilling one room.

I usually set my programmed one for 75-78 during the day. Warmer than that, and the dogs would melt, and all my houseplants would be pissed.

#4 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,417 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

no, basement is always cool

#5 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,747 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

no, basement is always cool

that too. I've definitely seen signs of the two blondies hanging out downstairs whilst I'm at work...

#6 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,936 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:10 PM

We leave it on for the cats...not sure on what temp.  Probably 74.  

#7 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,591 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

I do.  I turn down (turn up?) the AC a little.  I keep the AC on a little anyway, rather than wait until I get home.

This

I'd have to check the temp, probably around 72.

#8 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,583 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:17 PM

i put the a/c on if it's going to be over 90, usually.     i often leave a fan on in the living room though, on the floor so they can lie right in front of it if they want to.     if i run the ac i keep it around 76, which is plenty cool enough for me.   

#9 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,756 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

thanks

i usually leave it on for myself if it is going to be over 90.

May have to revise that since they took down the hugh shade tree that was outside my window.

72 ?  i think you can dry age meat at that temp :)

i'll leave it at 80 for now, the room is closed off with some drapes so he can pretty much go where he wants and i don't have to fully cool off the rest of the place. 

#10 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,374 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

80 is fine for pets.

The AC will still draw out the humidity.

#11 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,930 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

I leave it at 80....

#12 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,583 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:30 PM

oh yes, i do the close the blinds thing too, will even tape towels up if necessary.    one year i put aluminum foil on the windows in the extra bedroom upstairs.   

and you can tell when they're distressed if you're watching.   you'll know what's working.   :) :thup: 

#13 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:14 AM

We bring our dog to work a few days a week and she gets the joy of staying in my truck for 30 minutes-3 hours at a time.  If it's hot the AC is running all the time which oddly enough doesn't use that much gas.  If it's not so hot all windows are down and she is checked on very often...very very often.  If it's winter the same applies.  At home, it's a comfortable temp for humans and she likes it......likes it more swimming in the lake for an hour or so though. 

Of topic but sort of on topic, that stuff they say about leaving your dog in a car at such and such temp can = a much hotter temp is true.  Did work today when it was 75 degrees out and noticed my customers BBQ reading 150 degrees....our dog was chilling with the AC on at a freezing 60ish degree though. 

#14 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,392 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

we had the air con on yesterday afternoon but my cats were all out lounging on the back porch in the 95+ heat (!) but it's also a very dry heat here. so probably less pet melting ;)

#15 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

we have central air that we usually set at 74 (otherwise our upstairs gets too hot). we always leave it on for the kitties. I've noticed they spend more time downstairs where it's cooler in the summer.

#16 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,392 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

all 5 cats preferred to be outside today in the 102° or whateverfuckingdegreeitwas heat! they are insane! 

#17 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,392 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

shaggy did come in before everyone else though :)

#18 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,489 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

ophelia seems to prefer the rooms other than the ac room (my room)

she is very densely furred so i dont get it, but she never is without tons of cool water or the option to go to the basement

she really seems to hate the ac! :lol:

#19 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

on the other hand, in the winter they spend most of their time upstairs where it's warmer. we often turn the electric blanket on for them when we're home. they like to nap on it. {{{spoiled kitties}}}