Photo
- - - - -

....but I don't wanna be healthy and fit.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

I want to continue eating fast food.  Wendy's, Taco Bell, Burger King, McDonalds.  I dont want to eat right, I dont want to exercise.  I don't want to be fit.

Dr told me today that there's a lot of fat on my liver, and if I dont do something about it right away there will be scar tissue on it which I guess is bad.  It's more from diet than beer.   I'm gonna quit drinking, That's the easy part.  The hard part is eating healthy. I'm always starving when I try to do that. I'm giving myself today then it's exercise time.  The Treadmill at the gym seems to be my best bet.  When the pool opens on weekdays (soon) at the club my parents go to, I will swim.

any suggestions?

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,906 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

Look to make lifestyle changes rather than dieting.

Here is my current story of the past month:

4-5 years of chronic pain and sciatic pain. Went to see a doctor at an integrative medical practice, thinking they would send me to PT again (which in the past gave me severe headaches before I completed 25% of the easy exercises.)  To my surprise, the doctor suggested an anti-inflammatory diet to reduce inflammation explaining that until the inflammation is reduced the pain would remain.  For the past month I have been eating an anti-inflammatory diet, which is basically a gluten free diet and also avoiding some other inflammatory foods such as tomatoes.  Note:  I had wanted to start eating more whole foods and veggies prior to this, so the gluten free way of eating fit nicely into my overall intention.  I have chosen to eat more whole foods rather than search for gluten free substitutes for poor food choices (for the most part.)  I am not beating myself up if I do make a conscious choice to eat something with gluten when circumstances make it difficult to make a better choice. (example: gyro at Soup Stock.)

My reward is that by doing this for one month thus far I am already seeing significant results.  (example: I can take a shower without being nearly in tears from standing in the shower long enough to clean up.)

My chiropractor applauded this method and said that in his opinion gluten is not good for anyone.

Remember to applaud your successes rather than beat yourself up for where you are not yet.

#3 namaste

namaste
  • VibeTribe
  • 495 posts
  • Locationpine plains, ny

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

It's so hard to do ..AT FIRST!  I have many and I mean MANY health issues including three heart attacks in my 40's :(  However, being healthy feels so much better, you will become addicted to it.  The fast food life is so unhealthy your body is screaming for nutrients!  All that food is just dead!  As Teo said above, many foods are inflammatory and especially now with all the GMO's...gluten free is awesome as long as you don't start substituting all the rice and corn based gluten free stuff.  

Start adding food in instead of taking food out.  If you absolutely MUST, here's a great way to do it...take your fast food burger or whatever and put it on top of a pile of leafy greens.  Make everything you eat a salad.  Little by little, make the junk part of the meal smaller.  I swear, you will start to feel better in a day or so and soon you will WANT to eat the good stuff.  Your body will thank you in so many ways.  

Here's a great book/website if you're interested.  Best of luck on your journey to health...seriously, nothing is more important!  

Namaste!  Karen xoxoxo

http://www.thegabrielmethod.com/

#4 sullio

sullio
  • VibeTribe
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

Keep it simple. Don't eat anything nature did not intend for you to eat. I started the Paleo Diet in November and have lost 55 pounds. It's easy to follow and adjust to, and one of the best parts is I no longer crave the bad stuff like pasta, McDonalds, Doritos, etc. DIET IS EVERYTHING. I lost this weight WITHOUT EXERCISE (don't have time). This site will help get you started: http://www.nerdfitne...the-paleo-diet/

#5 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,464 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

I think one of the issues is that fast food is so cheap and easy.   Or it seems to be in the beginning.  Health issues caused by fast food are more expensive, and time consuming.

#6 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,043 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

In my experience, once I get into a groove with healthy eating, I really enjoy it.

'Course once I fall out of a groove, I enjoy that too. :lol:

Start adding food in instead of taking food out.  If you absolutely MUST, here's a great way to do it...take your fast food burger or whatever and put it on top of a pile of leafy greens.  Make everything you eat a salad.  Little by little, make the junk part of the meal smaller.  I swear, you will start to feel better in a day or so and soon you will WANT to eat the good stuff.  Your body will thank you in so many ways.

This sounds like great advice!

#7 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

'Course once I fall out of a groove, I enjoy that too. :lol:

Combo'd

#8 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,043 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

Combo'd

hmmm, lunch is comin' up.

You're the devil.

phillip2.jpg

#9 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,906 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

Start preparing your next meal before you are hungry.  Make extra food when cooking healthy so you have quick leftovers to eat.  Keep healthy snacks on hand and do not have unhealthy ones readily available.

#10 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,432 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

Start preparing your next meal before you are hungry.  Make extra food when cooking healthy so you have quick leftovers to eat.  Keep healthy snacks on hand and do not have unhealthy ones readily available.

This.   Excellent tip!

#11 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 699 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

Get off the treadmill and run outside.  Seriously.  Yoga and run.

#12 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

Get off the treadmill and run outside.  Seriously.  Yoga and run.

....but I don't wanna be healthy and fit.

#13 namaste

namaste
  • VibeTribe
  • 495 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

Start with healthy eating.  This time of the year is amazing with all the farm markets open.  As sulilo said, "diet is everything".  You don't need to run like crazy (bad bad for the knees anyway !)  I swear I discovered I like Kale!  Who knew?  And without being too graphic, since I stated eating healthy my digestive system is totally healed, I am able to not take several meds for reflux and that's after 30 years of suffering.  Your body wants to be alkaline.  Fast foods= acidic=destruction of vital organs, not to metion the "new fear" of GMO's oy veh!    :wrongway:

Yes, it takes some time, effort and planning.  But aren't you worth it?  I don't know your whole health history but you said you have the beginnings of a fatty liver.  Bad!  That means you are carrying fat around other vital organs as well and guess what?  They don't like it.    :crying2:

:crying1:  There's only so much room in there for them to function properly and filling that room with fat...well you get my drift.

I am sorry to be so blunt but I have had 3 heart attacks and I don't want any more!  I'm only 55 and want to see my kids have kids, I want to dance and hula hoop at vibes all day and into the night   :cheerleader: so that's my motivation.  What's yours?  If you can't do it for just your own health, think about someone or something you want badly enough to change your evil ways . ;)

You absolutely CAN reverse this and you CAN increase your life span to include more VIBES!  Come on now, just say YES to green food lol!  OK enough of me, get on the bandwagon and I will see you feeling better already, at vibes!  xoxoxoxoxox

:clap:

#14 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,089 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

Wow Namaste. Glad to see you turned it around after all the troubles.  :heart:

#15 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,464 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

I didn't have any heart attacks.  I do have young kids, and that is motivation in itself. 

One night, after a big mexican meal, I had a moment of clarity.  I realized that I most likely had not missed more than 1 day of eating meat in over 50 years.   I figured I would try a vegetarian lifestyle, and set a goal of 6 weeks.  I really didn't think I could do 6 days, so 6 weeks seemed like a long time.   That was 20 months ago.

With encouragement from a few folks here (there were a few people giving up meat at the same time, and as far as I know they still are vegetarian/vegan), some documentary suggestions from Chinacat-beek, I was able to surpass that 6 week goal easily.

I have since given up soda, and most unhealthy snacks, like chips etc.  I have berries/nuts for snacks.   Truth is, I don't miss those days 1 little bit.

#16 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,906 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

Fast Food As Addictive As Heroin, Study Confirms

http://www.undergrou...study-confirms/

Amber Greviskes – Thatsfit.com 

Scientists have previously proven links between drug addiction and fast-food addiction, but increasingly there is a growing body of research that is finding out how junk food is hard wiring our brains for cravings. 

A study, published in “Nature Neuroscience,” likened the affects of high-fat, high-calorie fast food to those of cocaine or heroin, in animals at least. 

The researchers showed that the pleasure-center in rats brains were overstimulated from the fast food similar to an addict’s cocaine binge. Eventually, the pleasure centers became so overloaded that rats needed more and more food to feel normal, according to Paul H. Kenny, an associate professor of molecular therapeutics at the Scripps Research Institute. 

Throughout the study, Kenny and his co-author studied three groups of lab rats for 40 days. The first group ate healthy food. The second ate a limited amount of junk food. The third group, however, was allowed to gorge on high-fat, high-calorie foods and became obese. 

The startling side effect? The brains of the obese rats changed. 

“The body adapts remarkably well to change — and that’s the problem,” Kenny said in a press release. “When the animal overstimulates its brain pleasure centers with highly palatable food, the systems adapt by decreasing their activity. However, now the animal requires constant stimulation from palatable food to avoid entering a persistent state of negative reward”. During the study, the rats lost complete control over the ability to regulate whether they were hungry, often eating despite electric shocks. When the obese rats were put on a healthy diet, they refused to eat, starving themselves for two weeks. 

In another study, researchers at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City showed that feeding rats a diet high in saturated fat, calories and sugar — which is the typical make-up for a fast-food menu item — lowered the rats ability to respond to leptin, a hormone that helps regulate eating behavior by controlling how full one feels. As rats grew fatter, the amount of leptin in their bodies increased signaling that they were dangerously close to starvation. They continued to overeat and gain weight. 

Those who yo-yo diet face similar problems that those going through withdrawal do, Boston University researchers proved last year. According to Pietro Cottone, an assistant professor in the Laboratory of Addictive Disorders at BU, dieters seek out foods to avoid the negative feelings that they experience if they are deprived of their favorite comfort foods. 

“These findings confirm what we and many others have suspected,” Kenny said, “that over-consumption of highly pleasurable food triggers addiction-like neuroadaptive responses in brain reward circuitries, driving the development of compulsive eating. Common mechanisms may therefore underlie obesity and drug addiction.”

#17 namaste

namaste
  • VibeTribe
  • 495 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

“that over-consumption of highly pleasurable food triggers addiction-like neuroadaptive responses in brain reward circuitries, driving the development of compulsive eating. Common mechanisms may therefore underlie obesity and drug addiction.”

BUT-----are fast foods really that pleasurable?  The few times in my distant past that I ate them I felt sick, bloated, and stuffed for hours.  Our bodies don't even recognize that stuff as food much less nutrients.  The good thing is that eating real food that is full of vitality from the sun, ie. vegetables, fresh made juices, fruits, flax and the like actually also becomes addictive.  Your body starts craving salad believe it or not.  :)  And yeah, the heart attacks were scary and no fun at all, but a serious wake - up call.  I also have a laundry list of auto-immune stuff that is much eased by eating right.  ANd a side-effect is the ability if not the desire to get off my ass and move more.  Turn up the dead and dance, that's my exercise. ANd my daughter turned me on to hula hooping which I'm let's call it, practicing.  :)

take care all...love this thread...is the op still listening??? 

#18 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,503 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:10 AM

namaste, a friend of mine has a laundry list of auto-immune stuff, too. glad you're here.

I have CTRM's old what he ate thread from back when he first started eating more healthy things saved as text on my computer (which is at work). I will try to remember to copy and past some of that tomorrow.

#19 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,179 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:33 AM

Keep fruits and veggies around whenever possible.  Put off having that cheeseburger until you eat an apple, two large carrots, some celery and maybe a few nuts for protein.  Maybe chop them up and have fun eating them with chopsticks.  I lost 20-30 pounds doing a mostly vegan raw diet (not the purpose of the diet) and felt wonderful!  If done correctly you will fill up on healthy stuff and will not have room/desire for the shit food. 

Or...hook up with a man/woman/whatever suits your needs that wants to keep you alive and healthy as long as possible and is willing to keep an eagle eye on your food intake/beer consumption.  Tonight was my weekly beer and pizza night but....it turned into a heavy on veggie pasta salad with veggie pasta cause she was around.  I would not trade that meal for any pizza in the world.

Good luck Ryan!

#20 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

I agree about the fast food. We only eat it once or twice a year when there are no other options and I always feel like total crap afterwards.

#21 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 10,598 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

had a moment of horror after seeing a pic of myself last night

need to use that to motivate me to be healthier

walking the edge of needing high blood pressure meds and do NOT want that :bang:

put on an alarming amount of weight this past year and am determined to not let it stay :moon:

i freely admit that i need help being good, though :plain:

intellectually i already know what i SHOULD be doing

its just stress and emotional eating that gets me every time :sad:

going to start setting small goals and giving myself credit for reaching them

time to change is NOW, sistah (speaking to self :wink: )

actually dreading vibes a little due to how embarrassed i am at how i look :sad:

(but i WILL get over that!)

#22 namaste

namaste
  • VibeTribe
  • 495 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:00 PM

aww tyedyedee....I feel your pain.  I cannot believe how much I weigh and hate to do a lot of things because of it.  I have fallen off the exercise bandwagon :(  I need to find something a LIKE and a time to do it.  I live a half hour away from the fuckin gym I support with 25 bucks a month and work evenings 3-11.  It's HARD!!   My diet is nearly impeccable, but can't seem to get off my ass to work out.  It literally hurts.  Really super bad knees, fibromyalgia, short of breath blah blah blah....sick of myself some days :(  

#23 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,815 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:33 AM

I'm having a really difficult time figuring out what too eat for snacks other than fruits and vegetables...I mean,even whole grain crackers are processed right? Luckily I tend not to "snack" too much anyway, but still having a tough time with it. Not like I can carry around a bowl of porridge, and trail mix, I don't care what folks say, it's not very satisfying. My throat is craving a cracker! :lol:

#24 namaste

namaste
  • VibeTribe
  • 495 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:20 AM

ginger snap how about plain yogurt with some fresh fruit and cinnamon?  You can make crackers out of ground flax.  Kale chips?  Nuts.  cream cheese in celery or peanut or almond butter in celery?  a smoothie made with protein powder, fruit, and plain yogurt.  cheese and grapes or apple slices?  a small bit of dark chocolate.  anyone else have ideas?  xoxoxoxoxo

#25 Little Ho Peep

Little Ho Peep
  • VibeTribe
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

Take a jicama and cut it into "french fry" sticks.  Then toss them with olive oil, sea salt and cajun spice. 

#26 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,580 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

If you absolutely MUST, here's a great way to do it...take your fast food burger or whatever and put it on top of a pile of leafy greens.  Make everything you eat a salad. 

999141_10151819191089106_120001211_n.jpg

#27 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

Yummy salad dressings is my trick.

You can put anything into a salad and having just the right yummy dressing (made with olive oil, not canola) is key!

I hope you kept up with it Ry!

We're approaching that age where all that we do and have done....is really catching up with us.  <3

#28 moonstone

moonstone
  • VibeTribe
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:08 PM

Hi royal. :bee:

I remember years ago when you posted about your workouts on the treadmill.  I miss that. 

Feeling good and healthy is such an amazing high. 

Good luck on this journey. 

#29 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

p.s. Ryan looks really good.  He is glowing and healthy looking and I wish I had more time with him.

#30 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:06 AM

p.s. Ryan looks really good.  He is glowing and healthy looking and I wish I had more time with him.

Thanks Wende, you looked great.  You can tell you've lost weight.

#31 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,632 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

a comedian i like (Jim Gaffigan) once said about fast food "I paid for that? Did I eat it or rub it on my face. My back hurts! Owe!"

that's how i feel about all fast food, now.  every once in a while i'll give in to it, when i am on the road and didn't plan ahead usually...old habits die hard, right?  and minutes after i finish eating i realize i'm not satisfied, in fact i usually feel pretty lousy...and i swear, it DOES feel like i rubbed it on my face because there's this grease slick effect that can't be attributed to anything but my last meal :lol:

real food makes you feel energized, lighter and happier immediately, and the long-term health benefits are even better.  crappy fast food makes you feel sluggish and like you've taken the minimum amount of effort to feed your body...which of course, you have.  there's nothing in fast food that your body needs.  when you take the time to eat more real food and less crap, you definitely notice the difference both short- and long-term and after a while, your body will tell you which choice is the right one for you.  

i was driving by a fast food place yesterday while doing some errands.  i hadn't had breakfast yet (a mistake...never leave home without eating, unless you have a plan for a healthy breakfast elsewhere) and i suddenly got this mad craving for an egg mcmuffin and hash browns with a coke.  now, i KNOW i don't like any of those things any more.  i've tested this a few times over the last year when my schedule made fast food the easy choice...and it's never as good as i seem to remember it being.  and it's DEFINITELY not worth the health risks.  

then i remembered that i have yummy tea (much better for me than soda for so many reasons) and delicious breakfast options awaiting me at home.  

i drove by and was so glad i did.  i deserve better, and now i demand it.  you should too, Ry.  your body will thank you, your mind will thank you...in fact, the only person who won't thank you will be your doctor because he will make less money off you if you're not making yourself sicker and sicker every day through your food choices.

love you Ry.  i want you to be healthy and fit, and happy.  xo

#32 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

I'm having a really difficult time figuring out what too eat for snacks other than fruits and vegetables...I mean,even whole grain crackers are processed right? Luckily I tend not to "snack" too much anyway, but still having a tough time with it. Not like I can carry around a bowl of porridge, and trail mix, I don't care what folks say, it's not very satisfying. My throat is craving a cracker! :lol:

wasabi peas